Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long will these hot flashes last???

Posted by vickilynn-2010 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 23:42

i'm 54. i do get my period but it is irregular. sometimes every month then nothing for 3-4 months.i've been getting night sweats for about a year,nothing very serious.then last week it all changed. i woke up one night with my pj top so wet i could have wrung it out. then the hot flashes started..every day..several times a day..sometimes several times an hour.my FSH says i'm nowhere near menopause.i was hoping to read that these "episodes" will be over, in say, six months or so. i don't know whether to laugh or cry. at least i'm not alone :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long will these hot flashes last???

Don't hold your breath. :) It's been about 12 years since I hit menopause and they haven't stopped yet. I don't know what I would do without the phytoestrogen. It has eliminated the night sweats and most of the hot flashes. Additionally the hot flashes I do get are not so intense. I also keep a bottle of water in the refrigerator. When I feel a hot flash coming on (for some reason I get very thirsty right before I get one) I drink my fill of the cold water and it seems to cool me from the inside.
One thing I have noticed from this board as well as friends is that symptoms, severity, and longevity of symptoms vary greatly from person to person.

o

12 years :0

just shoot me now

o

Like I said, Vicki, everyone is different and you may be done with the "power surges" tomorrow. I would recommend talking to your doctor about what you can do to relieve the discomfort, but don't forget to check out herbal remedies that your doctor may not be familiar with, or even discount. Most healthfood stores carry several different brands of phytoestrogens and these do work for me (may not work for everyone). Just make sure you get a reputable brand that consistantly uses the same formula. I have heard that there are some herbal companies out there that don't always measure carefully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here