Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nuva ring / Provera

Posted by Julie_Va (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 03 at 21:54

I am not sure where to go with this question. There is a lot of talk on this forum of hormones (!) so I thought I'd start here. If you know of a better place, please let me know.

I am not yet menopausal, but know it is just around the corner. My periods have been real screwy for about 10 years. I am 48. The doctor has given me a prescription for Provera to bring on a period, and I will begin it tomorrow.

She then gave me samples of the Nuva Ring to be inserted once I start bleeding and before day 5. It's a ring that stays in for 3 weeks, then out for a week to have a period. Just like the pill, except I don't need to remember to take one each day. Also, since it is localized, the side effects aren't supposed to be as bad as with the pill.

Has anyone here used it? If so, do you like it? Does it do a good job regulating? Did you get a lot of side effects?Can a tampon be used with it, since there is a chance I could still be having a period when it comes time to insert a new one?

Thank you in advance for any information you are able to share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nuva ring / Provera

I would worry about infection from inserting something and leaving it in that long.

Don't worry about side effects of oral medication until you have taken it awhile. You may not have any.

o

Now is the time for you to read Dr. John Lee's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause." About $13 at most health food stores. Tells you what things are good for you and what are not. He was telling us several years ago how harmful and dangerous synthetic hormones are for us and the dr's were still telling us they were good for our hearts! YIKES - and I took them for 15 yrs before I read his book. Get it!!!!
Lois

o

I forgot I posted this question, since I got no responses early on, and I stopped checking. Lois, thanks for the book recommendation. I will go look for it immediately.

Just an update, I have been using the ring since I posted as a 6 month trial. My 6 months will be up soon and I need to make a decision. The dr. said she would let me use it until I am 52 if I like it. I am definately going to read the book before I make my decision.

As for the results, eehh, I am not really sure. I am regular for the first time in years. I was on the pill years ago and I guess I expected the same kind of period, lighter. That's not really the case. Sometimes I begin spotting before I take it out on Sunday. It continues throughout the week then my period actually begins on Thurs. or Fri. Sun. tends to be my heaviest day, and that is the day the new ring needs to go back in. Don't like that. I thought it would be over by then. By the following Mon or Tues. it is all over.

Back to the research. Thanks so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here