Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just started Menopause or Peri-Menopause, oh no!!

Posted by deejavu (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 10, 06 at 17:03

Hi all,

I am new to this forum so hello to everyone! I will be 50 years young this November and I was always regular with my periods, like clockwork.

Now it's been 3 months (nope, no way I am pregnant), that I haven't had a period. Last month I experienced hot flashes for the first time in my life, now they stopped.

I'm not taking anything right now and I have to make an app't with my gyno.

I am waking up in the middle of the night which bothers me as I used to be a good sleeper.

I am also feeling depressed, is that normal?

This is scary for me as I have no one to talk to about this.

Denise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just started Menopause or Peri-Menopause, oh no!!

Hi Denise,

It can be scary with all the new things going on with your body and emotions.

I don't know if you read one of my other responses, but I just read a good book by Kathleen Brehony...Awakening at Midlife and it answered so many questions for me.

I am 54 and have been going through it for a few years. You can help yourself by taking a good multi-vitamin, good eating habits (I just about stopped eating "white" things, such as potatoes, rice, white breads, etc.) as I noticed blood sugar spikes when I did eat them. Exercise is another great thing to do for yourself. It helps with sleeping, releasing those endorphins, which helps with moodiness, depression, anxiety.

Keep in mind that your hormones are all to blame. Your body is trying to function with the hormonal imbalance. Remember that there are many of us going through the same thing.

Listen to your body, talk to your doctor. Hopefully, you have a good one. I found a female doctor when I moved here 5 years ago, and thank God I did. She is so understanding. So far, I've opted not to take any hormone medication. The male doctor that I was seeing before had no idea what I was talking about. Told me it was stress. Dimwit!

As far as the waking up in the middle of the night, I figured if I'm tired enough I'll catch up on my sleep another night. Don't fret!

You're not alone.

Wanda

o

Hi, Denise!
Welcome to the forum. I can so relate to you. I am 51, and have the same symptoms as you. It is scary, but be sure that you are definitely not alone!

o

Hi Wanda and Cheerful,

Thanks for your words, I feel so much better already! I am going to buy the book Awakening at Midlife as I want to learn as much as I can about menopause.

I wonder if I passed the "peri" menopause but I guess my gyno will tell me. She's a very good doctor but because I am newly recovered from Lyme Disease which I had for 11 years, I stopped seeing her.

Because of the Lyme, I stopped eating sugars, all carbs including breads, pasta, pizza, etc. I only drink filtered water and take plenty of vitamins. I was doing aerobic exercising but I slowed down and have to get back into that routine as that always made me feel better.

I live alone with my dog so at least if I get in a bad mood, there is no one to yell at, ha, ha, ha!! I love my dog with a passion and would never yell at him.

I really hate this anxiety but I'll learn to deal with it, what other choice do I have, right?

Thanks again,
Denise

o

..Hi Dee--Ill be 49 years young THIS November..Lets have a pity party for our poor ovaries!They are soooo confused.I know how ya feel..I am close to 3 months no period--but Ive been skipping a few here and there over the last 2 years--all normal perio, I hear from my doc.My sis had lyme disease--what a horror.I am so glad you are over it now.Now you have to deal with ..DRUM ROLL:::: THE CHANGE!!!!!!!

o

Hi melonwhelz,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, had a rough week taking my dog who has an incurable disease to all these different vets. He will be okay and I will just pray for the best as he is my bestest friend.

Anyway, the day after I posted, I started to spot, thought I was going to get my period, but nope! It never happened. I have to make an app't to see my gyno.

Yes, my body is very confused and sending mixed messages to my brain which I hate! At least when I had Lyme I knew all my symptoms including the mood swings and depression, but this is a whole new ballgame!

I am feeling a different type of depression, almost like I am bored but too tired to do anything about it.

I did receive the book "Awakening at Midlife" yesterday so I am going to start reading that.

How is your sister? I help many people who have Lyme Disease because it is horrible and so misunderstood, especially by doctors because they don't know how to treat it. What helped me recover was following a book written by a brilliant doctor named Dr. David Jernigan (Beating Lyme Disease Using Alternative Medicine". I know so many people that are cured now because of Dr. Jernigan. Maybe your sister should buy the book?

Anyway, I feel so drained, is that normal? I need to vacuum and do some laundry but I'm not doing it, LOL!

I am laughing at your drumroll:::: THE CHANGE!

Oh why oh why don't men get this? Yeah, I'm bad.

Denise

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here