SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nannie8_gw

Heavy painful periods, hysterectomy?

nannie8
15 years ago

I'm glad I found this post and I'd like to share my experience and hopefully get some input. I have had severe, debilitating cramps and heavy bleeding for years (I'm 42 and not in periomenopause). I went to my gynecologist who took an ultrasound and CT scan of my pelvic area and found that my uterus is extremely enlarged. She ordered a hysteroscopy with biopsy, which I had done a few weeks ago. The biopsy turned out benign, but she said my endometrium is extremely thickened, I have fibroids, a HUGE uterus and just tons of "stuff" in there; I saw it on the screen and it looked horrendous. My periods are always irregular, sometimes I skip months, sometimes I bleed for 10 days, and I always have a lot of clotting and severe pain. This time she gave me Provera to bring on my period (it took 10 days to make it arrive). I have now been bleeding for 7 days and pain is so severe I have had to take off work, pop 800 mg Motrins like candy (which is messing up my stomach), called the emergency line for pain pills yesterday (which did NOTHING to take the pain away) and I've spent the past three days crying, feeling like I've been in constant labor. I'm exhausted from the pain. I am scheduled to see my doctor in 4 days and we're going to talk about my options. I'm too old for the pill and I smoke, so that is not an option. I do not want to be on the pill at all. She suggested a hysterectomy when she saw what was in my uterus and heard about the suffering I go through (she is a surgeon). She said my uterus is so huge and my vaginal canal is small (no kids) that she would be unable to remove it through the uterus, so it would have to surgery. I am not attached to my uterus, don't plan on using it for anything...so any thoughts on hysterectomy? I cannot take living in this kind of pain anymore; it's been far too many years of this and I look pregnant from the swollen uterus. I appreciate your thoughts.

Comments (3)

Sponsored