Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Menopause & Anxiety

Posted by Bluwatermama (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 14:23

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and my story in a nutshell is that I've been in menopause for about 8 years. I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago and they left one ovary. 2 years later I had developed dermoid tumors on my ovary and it had to be removed. Before I left the hospital I was in the full throws of menopause.
Lately, the symptoms have been getting worse and the anxiety attacks have been really bad the last two days. I'm not sleeping and I can't seem to calm myself down. I'm currently not taking anything for these symptoms. I tried acupuncture which didn't seem to help. I just started taking a Yoga class which I hope helps, but I'd be interested in hearing what anyone else has done to help with the anxiety. It helps just finding places like this forum to know I'm not alone and I'm not going crazy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Menopause & Anxiety

For me, caffeine seems to make all my symptoms worse. It's hard to give it up completely, though. Stay away from anti-anxiety meds if you can. They can make it worse in the long run. Exercise is probably the best remedy. Let us know if the yoga helps.

o
RE: Menopause & Anxiety

I'm 54 and have had quite severe menopausal symptoms since I had a partial hysterectomy (due to a fibroid the size of a grapefruit) at age 48. Since then, there were a few times I thought I was going to die from weird symptoms. This year my chronic headaches have evolved into a number of episodes of severe migraines. For years I've not been able to get a full night's sleep without a mild tranquilizer. The good news is that I have the support of a naturopathic doctor in addition to my family physician. I've been exercising regularly which has helped my arthritis symptoms immensely. My tolerance to caffeine is currently nil, so I opt for herbal tea. I suffer from anxiety and depression and I'm learning to turn my ANTS into CATS (automatic negative thinking into constructive automatic thinking) ...it takes time to re-train the brain. Guided meditation is also helpful - there's lots available on the Net. I do not respond well to any type of stress (coping with daily life is a challenge) but I refuse to take hormone replacement therapy. Instead I opt for herbal supplements such as ashwagandha, rhodiola and 5-HTP. Hot flushes are the least of my issues, but I admit waking up with a full-body sweat in the middle of the night is no fun at all. In addition to all this nonsense, I have food sensitivities and therefore, avoid highly processed foods. Also, I'm on a high protein diet and have vitamin B-12 injections once per week. Evidently, hope exists.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here