Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newly menopausal - need advice

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 9:21

Surprised me, since I thought I was only peri. I have anxiety, mood swings, chills and brain fog, but can still function and sleep. I'm willing to go on HRT when things get really bad. What would be good for now? Heard a lot on this forum about soy. Can I buy it at BJ's Warehouse? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated, since I'm still trying to digest the whole menopause thing.

I'm also getting a sonogram to check the lining of my uterus, and a sonogram to check a density in my breast, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newly menopausal - need advice

Please keep in mind that many, many women don't have a whole lot of menopausal symptoms. Some women have a few things from an extensive list of possibilities, some have some others. Some women go nuts worrying about mood swings and anxiety, hot flashes, deppression, forgetfulness, insomnia, etc. because we see all this stuff on talk shows, magazines and commercials for various menopausal medications. If you're going to think about it and worry about it you won't feel well. Try and relax and say to yourself, yippee, I don't have to go buy tampons and pads anymore or worry about when I'm going on vacation.

o

Okay... this is what I do... I can deal with the sweating, but the night sweats and mood swings are bothersome. I take this over the counter wild yam cream called Menocream by Before and After. The directions say to take one capful twice a day, but because progesterone turns me into an eating machine, I take about half a capful a day, sometimes adjusting it from the day my period ends to the day I ovulate (still ovulating) Because progesterone, or lack thereof, is what triggers one's period... I found that if I continued to take it after my ovulation, it would only delay my period. Anyway, it seems to help a lot. My GYN knows about it and says it's fine.

o

Just hit the natural supplement section of your local stores. I've tried a few different supplements...some worked, some didn't. Most of them, Estroven, Complete Balance, etc, have the soy/black cohosh in them that help with the meno sypmptoms. They're natural and usually not terribly potent, so give them a couple of weeks to kick in. I've also found that cutting back on caffeine and dairy helps. Do be aware that some of these supplements will increase your appetite. I'm currently having pretty good luck with Complete Balance...it's inexpensive and works well for me. :) Good luck

o

Get soy milk-- really worked for me, like a miracle...I put a cup on cereal daily, and felt better after day one...no kidding, although on day 3 I think I had two helpings, was craving it...I had nervousness, sleep problems, sweats, flashes although minor, but the biggest problem was the cognitive thinking, I kept searching and searching for a word when I used to have excellent verbal skills...everything came back especially my confidence. I can't believe it, but I make sure I get a helping a day. I'm also not craving sugar as much, but that's another story. I hadn't read much about it, but its really great, I got over the taste by day 2.

o

Soy milk worked wonders for me too, for my hot flashes. Although, it didn't help with my other symptoms like increased migraines, anxiety and strange sleep problems that are hard to describe. I usually only have one glass of soy milk a day, and my hot flashes are only a fraction of what they were!

Randi

o

Going to call my GYN today for the anxiety. It's interfering with everything. On top of all that, I'm having marital problems. Don't know if that's causing the anxiety, or if the anxiety contributed to the marital problems.

o

If you HAVE to go on hormones, go for Natural ones, and not the synthetic ones. My dau found a dr who prescribed natural ones for her ... took a lot of work to find one who understood what she was saying. She's knows I'm death on the regular hrt, after taking them for 15 yrs myself. She used natural progesterone cream and it didn't help her...besides the soy milk. Was going crazy. Try all the natural ones that are available first.

o

I am 45 yrs old and in the stages of perimenopausal. Besides the painful ovulation every month, my period comes every 3 weeks, I suffer from irritability, mood swings, migraines, stress, hot flashes and achiness allover. I wish there was a cure. I can't take much of this anymore. Any advice?

o

Mimi, at the age of 41 I went to my GYN and DEMANDED a hysterectomy. I had gradually reached the point where I was bleeding every day and at times had to wear Depends. The ovulation was very painful and I stayed bloated all of the time.

Of course the Dr wanted me to try all kinds of other stuff but after becoming extremely irrate with him he agreed. I had the uterus and cervix removed and kept the ovaries. After years and years of 'female' problems my life has been completely turned around!!!

I take lots of B complex vitamins, soy, and green tea.

I went through menopaus recently but it was very mild. I just cant imagine that I could have continued to go through that daily misery much longer. As someone mentioned earlier - I say 'Yipee' to getting older.

o

I just bought the Menocream. Hope it works. I really want to get rid of the mood swings and the anxiety. Just recently started getting hot flashes. I wish this on men for just one week!!

o

First thing you want to do is go see your physician and discuss options. Trying to buy all the over the counter meds and herbal remedies will run you ragged not to mention broke.. what works for one won't hold true for the other thousands..you really need to educate yourself and get professional advice and opinions preferably by a physician that deals specifically with menopause matters. You will not get much info from a family physician and most gyn dr.s.. There is no wonder pill or cream but there are alternatives that will help the transition. It all comes down to whether you have mild symptoms or severe as to the best treatment. With me, it escalated from mild to full blown and you sure dont want to go into that on your own. If your physician cannot answer your questions, find one who can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here