Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help...trouble falling asleep

Posted by cindy_pond (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 9:01

Hi,
I've been having a strange thing happen upon falling asleep. I start falling asleep and then bolt up with my heart pounding, feeling a little dizzy and have to take several deep breaths...this goes on for about an hour before I finally fall asleep. Then I sleep fairly well all night and wake up peaceful in the morning...but it's getting to the point where I dread going to sleep. Had anyone every experienced this? I am 52 years old and just missed one period in June. I had two in July and one in August. I ovulated this week...I've had panic attacks and major anxiety since June. I know this is menopause related, but don't know how I am going to live like this...I use progesterone creams, drink soy shakes and take suppliments including magnesium. stopped drinking wine since this made the anxiety worse... what else can I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help...trouble falling asleep

Hi Cindy,

The same thing used to happen to me also. I did exactly what you did...took a few deep breaths. Try elevating your head a little more when you go to bed. Our hormones become so messed up, you don't know if you're doing the right things or not. Soy was not beneficial for me. Matter of fact, it made me feel worse.

Important thing is...don't be afraid. It may take you an hour to finally get to sleep, but at least you're sleeping.

Make sure to get some exercise every day. It helps in so many ways. Just taking a walk is great. Eat well...cool it on the carbs. Spikes your sugar levels too much. And remember, you are not alone and it does get better.

o

Hi Wanda,
Thank you so much for telling me that...It's not that misery loves company, but comforting to know that what is happening to me is "normal" for my age and time of life. I never expected this. No one talks about it and my doctors are dismissive. So thank you.
cindy

o

Cindy,
I didn't have your exact symptoms, but I have had a lot of trouble sleeping over the past few years.

A few weeks ago I decided to look at controllable physical reasons, and I cut out all caffine and spicy foods after 1 p.m., and now make sure I don't eat a heavy meal after 6.

Then, I looked at possible external reasons and decided to stop watching TV in my bedroom, and I started playing relaxation CD's at night at a very low volume (downloaded to itunes and played continuously throughout the night on my computer). I find that I don't toss and turn all night like I used to, and the music helps me drift off very quickly. I think the ocean sounds and the sound of rain and soft music help me fall asleep more quickly and keep me from waking up. I feel much more refreshed in the morning than I have in years. Just a thought. Hope this helps. Good luck. This is very frustrating, Isn't it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here