Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Doctor says I've beaten the record

Posted by marie26 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 08 at 1:23

I went for my annual this week to a new doctor and he said that I'm the oldest woman he's seen who still gets her period. I'm a few months over 57 and am now getting them every 3 months. His previous oldest patient was 56. Considering this doctor is not young and has been practicing for many years, it makes me wonder how rare this really is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Doctor says I've beaten the record

The results from the blood test came back and I'm definitely post menopausal. The number was 83 and a post menopause is in the 30's. He's sending me for an ultrasound and said maybe a D&C would help.

o

Marie, i turned 58 in April of this year, and i am STILL having (fairly regular) PERIODS! Last year my doc said i was "at the end of the bell curve", and was amazed that i was still going..... .like the energizer bunny i guess.....i thought this would be over years and years ago. so i feel your pain!

o

Jennava, my birthday is also in April on the 6th. When is yours?

o

I don't mean to pry into anyone's private business but I do know that women who continue to take birth control pills will continue to get monthly bleeding. You may have stopped ovulating though.

o

I had my tubes tied over 25 years ago. So it's not that.

o

Marie, the 19th

o

Hey maybe it is an "Aries woman" thing? And i had my tubes tied nearly 29 years ago.......

o

Mine's on the 6th. I was wondering if it was a "birthday" thing.

o

Marie26, Birth control pills are hormonal steroids and are not only prescribed for family planning. They can treat acne, regulate menstrual flow in women who suffer excessive bleeding, balance androgens causing excessive follicular growth, help treat endometriosis, even control mood swings, lots of things.

In the old days before BC pills were packaged in calendar packs women were prescribed these pills all the time for menstrual irregularities and acne and sometimes did not even realize what they were taking. These were the days before package inserts were required to be given to patients and it was unheard of to question a doctor about medication.

There is an interesting history of Enovid on the internet if you Google it.

Anyway, it was just a thought I had to the possibility of monthly bleeding at such a late age. I do not mean to pry or question anyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Enovid

o

I am 53 and a regular as ever... every month!
No BC pills here....

o

I am 52 and still get regular periods, though I do experience flooding each time which is really scary.
I have had most other symptoms, some have come and gone, though some still remain.
Its hard to tell what is what as i am also a chronic pain sufferer, with Fibromyalgia, Spondylolisthesis, Neuropathic Pain, tendinitis, plus a few other syndromes, diseases, conditions. Gee Whiz, I though Menopause would be easy compared to what I have been going through for the past 14 years but its not!
So glad I found this page. You are so helpful and open, thanks to all of you ladies.

o

debraq... i have fibromyalgia too, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and arthritis.... and on and on. all these things seem to just intensify the symptoms of menopause. gettin' old ain't for sissies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here