SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilwhirlwind

how i cured my hotflashes and night sweats

aprilwhirlwind
18 years ago

I coughed up $15 membership fee so I could pass this on to you.I've seen and heard this subject come up so often, and when I do I feel driven to let people know what has worked for me.

I'm 54 and my periods are still regular. My hot flashes came on so gradually that they never really bothered me. That is until the dreaded "night sweats". After a few months of soaked lightweight cotton knit night gowns even the daytime hot flashes got to be a pain in the neck.

(This was in midwinter in Maine).

I happened to see one of the network morning shows one day that had a segment with a gynocologist who specialized in menopause. She noticed in her practice that no one seemed to be able to give women much help with their symptoms, so she and her associates starting delving into it.

She said that in most cases the thing that gives the best relief as far as hotflashes went, for most women, was Black Cohosh. I decided to try one of those preparations they advertise on TV that had black Cohosh and some other herbs, etc. I didn't like it. Oh the hot flashes were gone, but I hated the taste of it and I started retaining water more than usual, and you had to take 2 of them every day.

I decided to give regular Black Cohosh a try all by itself and see what happened. The one I happened to pick up was by Spring Valley, but any other brand would do. The capsules I take are 300mg of black cohosh root and 60mg of the black cohosh root extract. It says to take 1 three times a day, but I thought I'd try just 2 a day. Worked great. Then I figured I'd try 1 a day. Still no hot flashes or night sweats. Then I started to forget to take one once in a while and found out that I only needed one of these capsules every 2 days to keep me cool and flash free TOTALLY. I've had none for months except for the 2 times that I forgot to take them for several days. Then I took one and within a few hours I was back on track again.

Please try this. I cannot guarantee that it will work the same way for all of you. Our body chemistries differ from one another.But it certainly can't hurt. I'm one of those people who can't take many of the herbal supplements out there. Usually when I try something after a few days I start getting light headed and I feel a lot of flutterings in my chest, I retain water, etc.,etc.I'll go read the tiny warning on the label " If you suffer any of these symptoms stop taking this immediately!" But I've had no problems whatsoever with the Black Cohosh.

Comments (94)

• EJSharma
    11 years ago

NO HRT or synthrtic hormones for me. I went the ayurveda way. I take 1 tablet of Evanova twice daily and one tablet of Menosan from Himalaya drugs twice daily. My hot flashes have calmed down tremendously. I use natural progesterone cream during the second half of my periods. I exercise and eat healthy and practice yoga regularly. I noticed the difference when I went off the tablets for a month. The hot flashes came back with a rage! And subsided again a month after I re-started the tablets.

• laVerneMaynard7
    11 years ago

EJ, you sound like an advertisement to me?

• Related Discussions

I Was Up All Night w/ My Dog

Q

Comments (28)
    citrusnut, My friend (who is also president of our local animal welfare group) had a collie who died from eating pork chops. She only ate a few & you would think it wouldn't matter to a dog that size. I think she said there is an enzyme they can't digest, I will check with her & find out. Karyn, Tell her to get her dog to obedience classes & quick. What would happen if the dog drug her in front of a car? You really need to be able to control your dog to keep both of you safe & a well trained dog is a much better family member. 15 to 20 minutes of training twice a day for 6 to 8 weeks is all it takes. After all the excitement last week, Abbi took a whole head of cabbage off the kitchen table & started to eat it! I have spent her entire life hiding food from her. In the past she has eaten several loaves of bread (plastic & all) & she knows how to get a full pan of food off the top of the stove without spilling much. She clamps her mouth over the edge & lifts it off, I wish I had a video of it, it's amazing. She has also figured out how to open both the oven & fridge doors but she doesn't do it very often. In her younger days, she could clear a 4 foot chain link fence (Newfs are not supposed to be able to do that). She is 9 now & slowing down & she hasn't jumped the fence for a couple years (I have an American Eskimo to do that for me now). Linda
    ...See More

Hot flashes, night sweats, anxiety and gagging

Q

Comments (8)
    The gagging could be from what is called "silent reflux"... I didn't even know i had it until i went to the doctor with an ear ache which was also contributed to the reflux. When you are laying down the acid can creep up and then in turn make you cough and gag. I had nausea as well for many years from this and did not even know it. It is quite common in perimenopause as it relates to hormone fluctuations. I take an OTC Zegerid at night for the reflux and it has helped a lot. Also, not eating a few hours before going to bed may help as well. Not sure if this is what you have but it sounds like it to me. As for night sweats i found that at least 30 minutes of exercise a day, walking or running helped tremendously. It also helps with my anxiety and nervousness that also comes up out of nowhere at times. The only thing getting me through is the thought of making it to the finish line and this being over fairly soon... i hope! Good luck
    ...See More

What to do for night sweats

Q

Comments (4)
    Night sweats have now included hot flashes through out the day! Was on Zoloff for a month didn't help at all I am now taking effexor, can't take hormone replacements, going through Chemo for Brest cancer. My Son bought me a Chillow. It's a pillow you fill with water to help keep your pillow cool. I will try it tonight and let you lady know what I think. I've tried everything to sleep at night so far nothing helps. Fans light sheets, water by the bed side, estrogen before I was diagnosed with Cancer, now I do have a prescription for sleeping pills but am a little worried about taking them. I have tried to increase my vit a and d, but so far nothing. The Air-conditioner helped a little last night.
    ...See More

I Have Anti-Upperitis. Do I Need a Cure?

Q

Comments (70)
    Keep working on him. I am more convinced than ever that that is the direction I am heading. I even got a price on new windows yesterday. I may put a few uppers on the range wall but I have not made up my mind. My DH was all about having more and more storage with no real plan for what we would put in there. When I actually looked around, I realized that most of the stuff in the upper cabinets on the sink wall were going to be living somewhere else in the new kitchen. I think the little things I have done that have improved our house have helped my DH trust me a little more. We took down the wall between the kitchen and family room after much complaining from him about "taking down a perfectly good wall". Now, we cannot imagine our house without it. I bought a 36'' Liebherr and DH said "Have I told you how much I love the fridge?". I told him no just to hear him say it again. He sees how much bigger the kitchen is without the giant monster fridge. Just keep throwing some great looking inspiration pictures his way. My DH has come a long way. Best of luck.
    ...See More
  • adsouiri
    11 years ago

I am 34 and having probably 20-30 hot flashes a day. I am 6 weeks post surgery and take .9 mg of premarian. All it's doing is keeping the crazy train from pulling up. I am going to try the herbal ideas posted on here. I take benadryl to sleep so that doesn't stop the flashes for me. I go to the doctor Wednesday for post op check up hopefully get some ideas from her too.

• JMiller8893
    11 years ago

I'm 42 years old and started having symptoms a couple of years ago that have gotten worse and worse. I tried black cohash, maca, progesterone cream, and other natural remedies but everything broke me out; including the bioidentical HRT from a doctor. Too bad because the BHRT did get rid of all my symptoms and I started losing weight... The only thing I've found I can take is I-Cool 1 in morning and 1 in evening and my flashes went from 14 intense ones per day to 2-3 much weaker ones and I'm not so fatigued all the time either.

It is a matter of finding what works for you without side effects; what works for some will not work for everyone.

• laVerneMaynard7
    11 years ago

To those of you trying black cohosh: it takes 3 months to get the full effect. Don't expect changes in hot flashes until you have taken it consistently for 3 months. I started with 20 mg twice a day. It helped, but after reading these posts, I added 2 more, so I am up to 80 mg a day. It helps. I had a flash every hour and a half , night and day. Now I have 5 or 6 a day. I did manage to wean myself off the HRT. I'm going to try stronger black cohosh. It is still better than HRT. Thank you to all who contribute here!

• tsth
    11 years ago

This isn't a cure but it helps me during the summer months:

Chilly pads by Frogg Toggs......you can find them at Bed Bath & Beyond or Amazon, and other online stores. These are dry pad that feel cool and wet that you can take to bed with you.

• tsth
    11 years ago

This isn't a cure but it helps me during the summer months:

Chilly pads by Frogg Toggs......you can find them at Bed Bath & Beyond or Amazon, and other online stores. These are dry pad that feel cool and wet that you can take to bed with you.

• JMiller8893
    10 years ago

For those that the black cohosh didn't work or cannot take it: the "I-Cool" stopped working for the hot flashes after a while. Something else that helped a lot is Pregnenolone supplement 25mg 1xday. Also apple cider vinegar caps or tablets 2-3xday with a couple ounces of water. Female Toner tea bags worked great with 1c per day but caused me skin issues like the BHRT did. So, the flashes & sweats are back again now and my doctor (Asian medicine) is having me try Nulignan supplement 2 tabs per day. I'll let you know if it works he swears by it for hot flashes...

This post was edited by JMiller8893 on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 8:30

• theresa2
    10 years ago

I stopped consuming all forms of caffeine. I was never a coffee drinker--just tea, soda and chocolate. It took me about a week and a half to wean myself off the caffeine. Within 24 hours of my last diluted cup of tea, my severe hot flushes suddenly stopped like night and day. Now I have an occasional, very weak, hot flash that is hardly noticeable. I replaced my caffeine consumption with tall glasses of ice water. And for those times when I want a hot beverage, I drink herbal tea or just plain hot water. Hot drinks do seem to trigger hot flashes for me; and so does alcohol, but at least I know my triggers and it is comforting to be in control.

• ntt_hou
    10 years ago

I found this post in hoping to find some relief with hot flashes that began a couple of weeks ago. It only last for a minute but it comes every hour or so. LOL, I got a fan in every room and even one in my purse. Oh, here comes one now as I'm typing this post.

I too have cut back on caffeine. It didn't stop the hot flashes but it minimized the sweating.

I love soy milk but I got a reaction from it in recent years. My breasts got very itchy. Once I stopped drinking soy milk, the itches stopped completely. Be awared if you drink soy milk. I know of people with breast cancer and was told by their doctor to avoid all soy products.

Thanks for the tip on Black Cohosh. I'm going to give this a try and see if it helps.

.... moments later.....

Oh man, I just found out I shouldn't be taking Black Cohosh. People who are allergic to Aspirin should avoid it. Sigh... and I'm one.

This post was edited by ntt_hou on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 4:05

• sharisika
    9 years ago

I too am 52 years of age and experiencing hot flashes. I've been using a product that has black Cohosh in it (Estroven). Anyways, I've been taking it for a couple of months and my hotflashes and night sweats have disappeared as well. I've also quit caffein, I exercise regularly, and became a vegetarian. The latter 2 I've did prior to the hotflashes so the only significant change would be the black Kohosh and the lack of caffein.

• tsth
    9 years ago

I have found something that worked for me. Magnesium citrate.........(not the oxide, but citrate, it absorbs into the body better). Do some investigating and find out about Magnesium. After about 3 weeks of using this supplement, I quit having hot flashes.

• sharisika
    9 years ago

Hi, I have experienced weight gain since starting the Black Cohosh regime. I had been working out daily and watching what I ate and gaining weight. I just googled Black Cohosh side effects and weight gain is one of them so is potential liver damage so be careful. Yes, my hot flashes are gone after a few months of being on the Black Cohosh and now I'm going off. I'd rather have a hot flash than be overweight. I'm going to try the magnesium citrate as suggested above. magnesium keeps you calm and regular as well. Thanks for the tip.

• tsth
    9 years ago

Magnesium....just be sure to read labels, as most of the magnesium out there is the oxide version. May have to order the citrate online. I get mine here:
    http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=415477&catid=183255

or on amazon. Also, read up on how magnesium works, it will affect your bathroom habits, most likely. For me this was a good thing.

• rross
    9 years ago

Black Cohosh stopped working for me after a few months. I'm now taking an anti-depressant - Paroxetine. I now have deep sleeps at night, and an average of only one mild hot flush per day. If I didn't have uterine fibroids, I'd go on HRT. I've been on the current medication for about 2 years. It's saved my sanity.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out how the OP had to pay $15. to pass along this information. Registering at GW is free.

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

It wasn't always free. Before Spike sold it to iVillage. many of the forums were pay-to-play.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Oh, I see, this thread was started in 2005! lol

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

My gynecologist said that when I take black cohosh, go off of it for a month, then start again. 3 months on, 1 month off.

It stopped working for me, and I still have some left in the bottle. Now to just remember to take it........

• Susan Barr
    8 years ago

I had been having hot flashes for the last year. I tried black cohosh, various other herbs, acupuncture, and a chinese herbal mix that my acupuncturist tells me works on almost everyone. None of them worked, and some of them even made the problem worse.

Recently, I started taking MSM to try and help with hair growth and was shocked to find that it almost completely eliminated my hot flashes. I realized that I've gone a week without having a single hot flash. So, MSM might be worth a try, unless you are allergic to sulphur/sulpha, since MSM is a form of sulphur. I started really slow, cutting a 500mg tablet into 4 pieces and taking 1/4 pill per day and increasing over 2 weeks up to 1 whole tablet. My hot flashes are almost gone at 500mg which is a pretty small dose of MSM.

My thought is to try everything that might work. Different supplements work for different people.

• javiwa
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

SPAM

Edited to add: spammer removed - thanks, HOUZZ!

• Shelley Victory
    8 years ago

This discussion board is awesome. I have been suffering off an on from Hot flashes and night sweats for 8 years now. I went from bad uterine fibroids and too much estrogen to after surgery low estrogen and perimenopausal... I have tried various herbal remedies, Macca, vitex, Dhea,progesterone cream..Now two weeks into Black Cohosh and still on fire at nights. I am now excited to try soy milk. Picked it up this morning and had a glass. I hope it works. I need to get some sleep...

• sallyw017
    8 years ago

I've had hot flashes for several years now...they really disrupted my sleep. I finally bit the bullet and bought a powerful bed fan that sits at the end of the bed under the covers and blows strong blasts of air under the sheets when I get a flash. The blast is strong enough to inflate the sheet up off my body. I'm very pleased with the effectiveness. I think it is called NightBliss, but the site is www.hotflashes.co.

• Ginny Ford Schropp
    8 years ago

Although at 62, most of the menopause symptoms have passed, I still have night time hot flashes that disrupt my sleep on average of 4 or 5 times a night. Like sallywo017, I purchased the Night bliss bed cooling system and am more than pleased with this product. The web site is http://www.night-bliss.com. It works and you will know that immediately. I can't sleep without it.

• appyface
    8 years ago

After making it the requisite 12 months without a period, I was still miserable from horrible and severe daytime and nighttime hot flashes and sweats. Average 1-2 per hour and majority very severe, feeling so over-warm I was nauseous all the time.

I could barely function during the day with fans, heaters, layered clothing, always feeling so sick. Couldn't get any sleep even with fans, heaters, layered wicking clothing and sheets, layered bed covers, and house set at 62 degrees (which does still help).

Doc put me on HRT and that *did* stop the flashes completely. But it brought back regular spotting, appetite control problems, weight gain, bloating, IBS, indigestion, heartburn, GERD, painful swollen breasts and nipples, brain fog, physical and mental fatigue.

I continued the HRT for a full year as Doc said all this would go away, but it didn't. Doc said taper off. As I tapered off, all those side effects went away - but the hot flashes came rushing back.

I tried black cohosh (by itself), red clover (by itself), all sorts of menopause support supplements, maca, soy milk, edamame, magnesium, accupressure, accupuncture, bio-identical progesterone cream, DHEA, big increase in vitamins (D3, B12, B6, C, E, you name it), and I'm sure I'm forgetting something... tried so many things for almost two years and nothing worked.

Accidentally stumbled across mention on the 'net of Sage extract capsules as possible help so gave them a try. One in the morning and one at night, and within 4-5 days the hot flashes had significantly decreased in both frequency and intensity..

I'm sure this doesn't work for everybody, but if you've tried everything and nothing works, give this a try. I bought a brand I'm familiar with and I trust, and they were not expensive.

The Sage extract capsules didn't eliminate the hot flashes, but I now have perhaps 2-3 a week during the day and at most one per night near bedtime, all pretty mild. I'm no longer overly-warm and nauseated all the time either, which is a big help.

The only side effect I've had with Sage is an upset stomach unless I take it with a little food or milk.

I hope my experience could help someone get some relief.

• KuraS
    8 years ago

I've had hot flashes over the last 8 months and suffered through them until my doctor prescribed paroxetine (paxil). Since taking 10 mg per day, I have one a day instead of 10. It has also stopped the night sweats completely. This may not work for everyone, but it has had a pretty high success rate with many women. There is a drug called Brisdelle which is the exact same thing and costs a lot more, just use regular paroxetine. Best of luck, ladies.

• debvox
    8 years ago

I started this journey over 2 years ago. I got to the point where the night sweats were so bad that I was literally waking up every hour all night long. I am a working woman and had to try to function. I was so messed up that I was becoming unable to function daily. Work and lufe seemed impossible. I was missing out on everything .. Passing in events I had purchased tickets for., etc. I had to get out of jury duty because I couldn't function! I tried all of the homeopathic remedies listed here, and many new age techniques such as yoga, acupuncture and tapping. I do exercise and my job keeps me active. I finally gave in and asked my dr for the lowest dose hrt (PremPro). After 3 weeks I was back on track. Suddenly after 11 months - there it was, a full blown period. Since October, they have gradually come back in full force. I take lorazepam at night to no avail. The PremPro no longer works and I'm not sleeping more the 45 mins at a time all night. I don't know what to do. I'm disquisted now especially as I'm heading out for a long waited vacation Saturday and this is not the way I want to feel. Do I ask the dr to increase to dosage? Or stop altogether since they are not working? God help me and all of you. I agree w the poster above who cannot understand with all the monies spent in medical research how can we not have help ???? Ugh

• Lynn Nevins
    8 years ago

I too have read good things about Black Cohosh, though I'd also read it can have some side effects. Of course, everyone is different. Another item I'd read about and which I do take is Maca. I didn't find mention anywhere online of any possible negative side effects, so that's why I went with Maca.

Also, while I didn't read all the other notes here, in case not mentioned, sheets made of bamboo fabric are supposed to be superior for wicking moisture and perspiration from the body. So for those with night sweats you may want to try them. They can be pricey though...

• lucy1au
    8 years ago

Hello all, I've found that additional Vit B 6 at night seems to alleviate them noticeably. I still get hot, but not the crazy brutal flashes.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    8 years ago

Black Cohosh did nothing for me.

• adrcoffee
    7 years ago

I believe this is not diet related but rather spinal related, the reason I say this is because my wife no longer suffers from hot flashes after using an inversion table, hanging upside down suspended by her ankles, this made all the difference, she has not had a hot flash since.

• joyce_6333
    7 years ago

There is one sure cure for hot flashes....age. Ha! I'll be 70 on my next birthday, and no longer suffer from these curses.

• FitR6
    7 years ago

I am almost 49 and have just started getting hot flashes. I have already had problems sleeping for the past decade and have suffered debilitating depression since childhood. My mood is always low and I have cried daily ever since I can remember. I have read up on menopausal symptoms and I am beside myself with fear. Life for me is already a struggle...... I'm terrified these symptoms will push me over the edge. I've been single for almost a decade and do not socialise or have any friendships. Menopause is going to be the straw that broke the camels back. I'm not going to cope with this on top of everything else!!!

Have read all the posts here and just burst into tears. As a health and wellness professional I refuse to go on HRT or take medication. I exercise regularly and eat healthy the majority of the time. Don't drink caffeine. Have looked at some of the herbal supplements for menopausal symptoms but they are so expensive. I already take magnesium and B complex vitamins daily.

It sucks to be a woman. Periods, pregnancy, childbirth, stretch marks, pelvic floor weakness, now menopause! And on top of that ageing women are regarded with little worth. Sorry ladies...... You're all here helping one another and I throw THIS in.

Sigh.

• lucy1au
    7 years ago

I like was determined to try and get through without hormones. I yeilded at one point and took hormones for about 3 weeks and it was not worth trying. 4 years later and I can say that yes it was the worst 4 years of my life, but that I am about 80 percent better. It does end... but going through it is horrible.

• Ginny Ford Schropp
    7 years ago

I posted a few months ago , Sept 14 2015, about an amazing fan that I have been using. www.nightbliss.com. I'm 63 and STILL having night time hot flashes. I did HRT for 2 years, but as soon as I stopped it, the night flashes came back. I bought the fan and while I still have the night flashes, the fan feel so incredably refreshing, it is actually so pleasurable, like a stiff breeze that starts at your feet and actually is strong enough to lift you sheets around you, creating a wind tunnel. It is programable, and works with a remote controlled button so all you do is hit the button and within seconds you are in a state of bliss. It turns itself off too so you can fall back asleep. I am consistently turning it on 4 to 5 times a night. Ive met women in their 70's who still "sleep hot". I guess for some women, once your over heating system gets tripped, it doesn't stop. The fan isn't cheap but it is a quality, made in America 100 % guaranteed product. I swear by it.

• adrcoffee
    7 years ago

Please don't waste your money on harmful medication that don't work, I have seen a wonderful change in my wife's condition now that she no longer suffers from hot flashes and I wish this upon everyone that is going thru this. If it worked for my wife it can work for anyone, an inversion table is around $150 and up at Fitness Depot some places allows you to try it before buying, it's a one time thing so there's no need to buy one if you can try it and it only takes a minute. I have read warnings not to try an inversion table if you suffer from glaucoma or high blood pressure.

• stefarizina
    7 years ago

I was told to take magnesium as well. I have spent 4 years in perimeno feeling like it is draining the life out of me. Crazy mood swings, fatigue and night sweats. I have found the magnesium glycinate or bisglycinate form has really helped relieve my symptoms. It doesn't cause bowel problems like the citrate or oxide. The brand I use is called Vitafii Mag-12 and it is now on amazon. It has B12 and melatonin in it too.

• kendra363
    7 years ago

Hi I am so sorry to hear so many women here feeling awful including you because of the terrors of menopause and I would like to offer a bit of relief if Iam able to. I work at a small startup company in California where we have created a cooling wristband that has been clinically proven to suppress hot flashes in seconds. My mother is a teacher and experiencing severe menopause and it broken my heart to receive calls from her embarrassed about pouring sweat in meetings, freezing the students in her class from always having the AC on, and her in ability to focus when she got panic attacks knowing the onset of a hot flash was near. So with my team we’ve created a wristband no larger than a sweatband, that is fully rechargeable so that women can continue working without embarrassment,sleep and take back their lives! I am truly passionate about women health and believe I can help so many women like yourself we just have very little awareness that we exist right now. But I know from multiple women including my mother that this thing works and id love for you to try it out, it is completely natural because I am hurt by the numbers of women who seek relief with medication and end up being diagnosed with cancer. This isn’t an add just a very passionate women trying to help so many women out there in an affordable way that does not jeopardize their health! Please shoot me an email at kendra@dhamausa.com if any women out there are interested we have a small social media following on @dhamausa on Facebook or www.dhamaw.com

• paula_du_plessis
    7 years ago

Hi All, I'm from South Africa and found this article very interesting. I had a hysterectomy when I was 34 and went into surgical menopause at 44. The hot flashes were intolerable especially at night. When you're claustrophobic and one of those flashes descends upon your like a ton of bricks you feel like you're suffocating. My doctor put me on HRT's but as we all know the most common side effect of taking this is breast cancer and after 6 years of HRT's I had enough of worrying so I decided to stop and look elsewhere for relief. That's when I found out about the Black Cohosh and since taking it, I've never looked back. What a relief. I read on the internet that women were taking this hundreds of years ago before pharmaceutical companies decided there's more money in making all sorts of drugs that are actually more harmful to us. I started taking 2 a day and I'm now to only 1 a day. I can really recommend it and I'm so glad it's available worldwide.

• FitR6
    7 years ago

I am so glad Paula, to hear that women out there are finding relief for this phase in our lives that can be debilitating. To be honest though, Black Cohosh did absolutely nothing for my symptoms. I have spent so much money trying different things to relieve my unbearable hot flashes, and it has all been a waste, and whats worse, incredibly disappointing. I'm over not only the life disturbing symptoms, but getting my hopes destroyed when another so called remedy fails.

• paula_du_plessis
    7 years ago

Hi FitR6, the Black Cohosh medication you buy usually comes in a combination with different other vitamins and minerals and maybe this is where you should experiment. It might be that you need the Black Cohosh with some other mineral or vitamin like Alfalfa or Red Clover Extract or evening Evening Primrose Oil. I think you should give it a try. The specific one I'm using is called Foodstate Menopause Formula but that is probably only available in South Africa. Don't give up. Good luck in finding the right one for you.

• Lynn Nevins
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

To repeat some of what I've said earlier in multiple posts, I've taken a multi-faceted approach:

sunlight therapy light for 30 minutes each morning during the shorter winter months

making sure to eat healthily, esp. lots of legumes

exercise (which for me also includes social partner dancing...not only provides exercise but physical interaction and music!)

bamboo sheets have greatly helped with night sweats. I sleep much better.

join a menopause support group or else start your own such Meetup group (I did, in NYC!)

I take Rainbow Light Menopause One

make it a point to be social....to get out of the house and be around other people.

Go for walks...be around nature.

If you are a night owl (like me), try your best to change your schedule little by little. Waking up earlier and going to bed earlier means you will have more waking hours in the natural light, and fewer waking hours in the dark, which in turn helps with serotonin levels and mood.

Talk to a shrink if you are depressed and/or try to engage in cognitive therapy on your own. Be aware of how you are able to somewhat impact your own mood. For e.g., I noticed a pattern, whereby I was constantly assessing my mood multiple times per day. 'Am I feeling depressed right now?....Yup, I am. I am indeed feeling down...just like I was earlier today...just like I was yesterday. Ugh.' I realized that in doing that, I was then creating a sub-conscious 'reality' for myself, that if I am feeling down today, and I felt 'down' yesterday, and the day before that, that it stands to reason that tomorrow, and the next day, will also be the same. And how on earth can I expect to be in a good mood, if I believe this to be my reality, for the foreseeable future? Talk about creating a sense of doom for oneself. ;-) So.... I realized that this thought pattern I was exhibiting was not serving me one iota.

Of course, we all know the expression of 'living in the moment'. I decided to purposefully try this at every moment of every day. 'Oh, doesn't this cup of coffee taste so good?.... this is so great that I just finished this work spreadsheet on my computer...I can now cross this off my to-do list.... this is great... Oh, this is a great song I'm listening to ...this salad I'm eating tastes so fresh!.... don't my two cats look so cute sleeping together..." And so on. By doing this, at the end of each day I found that I was able to look back and think 'you know...today wasn't that bad actually...'. And if I practiced living in the moment the next day as well, I could say 'this is great...today was pretty good...yesterday was pretty good...'. So that in turn helped to create my own new reality, which then helped me believe that the days ahead would also be pretty good! ;-) (If I assumed the days ahead would not be so good, they usually were not so good. But if I took on a more positive outlook, that my days ahead would be good, or 'pretty good', indeed, they usually were. While we can't control our emotions or mood entirely, much of it IS about perspective, and recognizing the ways we self-sabotage.

And on that note....do not believe for one minute that 'older women are regarded with little worth' (as someone else here said). I am so utterly tired of women (and most often, it's American women) making this complaint. If you believe it, so it will be. No one wants to be around an older woman who is down in the dumps about her age. You could take two older women who look the exact same age more or less, and who have a similar appearance. One woman is confident, takes pride in her appearance, dresses attractively, does not feel her age is in and of itself a detriment; she is engaging, curious, outgoing. The other woman goes around believing that now that she's X-years of age, she's washed-up, and that society and men will 'ignore her'. She doesn't bother trying to dress nice, because she figures 'why bother'. Which woman do you think society is going to respond to more favorably. Which woman will more men find attractive? ;-)

• FitR6
    7 years ago

The one I have used was in combination with other things, but cannot recall what they were. I'm seriously over looking for remedies and wasting my money. Thanks anyway. Glad it's working for you thogh.

• FitR6
    7 years ago

Ummmm who gives a damn how society views you? Wow. And by the way I'm a fitness professional who has looked after myself my entire life, and I get treated by men in society like I have no worth because I'm no longer 24. And that's not my assumption, they have actually said those horrible words. My worth is not determined by my ability to give strange men erections! I teach my clients their worth is much more than that.

• paula_du_plessis
    7 years ago

FitR6

Well said! I agree. By the way, the lady who says you need sunshine..........helooo, I live in South Africa - plenty of sunshine everyday :-) If that's your outlook then good luck. Each person does as he/she wishes

• retroranchgal
    6 years ago

I have always been able to feel homones flexuate throughout my cycle since almost day one. I knew when I was ovulating and sometimes it was not pleasant. Now at 55, it seems that pari has begun. Every cycle, PMS, ovulation symptom has multiplied by a 1000! Anxiety is thru the roof. Some days it's very hard to work or just function at all. I try to tell myself that what ever I focus on will be exaggerated and sometimes it's true. But other days.....like today....holy hell! Every day is a different feeling. I never know what I will wake up to. I work in public relations and need to be "on" all of the time. Does anyone look around at friends and perfect strangers in the same age group who look like they are thriving and wonder what they are doing to deal with this? I just want my active happy life back. I'm taking a long trip next month and don't want to feel like a 90 yo women! I feel like I have aged so much this past year. Allergies are so much worse on top of everything else. Not sure what to try. I don't really have hot flashes yet that I know of. Everything else. Wobbly head like water. Shaky, itchy skin. Tingling arms. Crashing fatigue. Muscle and joint pain. On and on. I meditate (even while at work) eat pretty good. Blood work is great. Thyroid on check with meds. The "Hot Years" aren't so hot.

• ioleary1
    6 years ago

I started getting hot flashes and night sweats for about 5 months now. I get hot flushes frequently like a dozen times during the day - is this normal???

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    6 years ago

You should get your blood sugar tested to rule it out that you are not having low blood sugar episodes. It may even be suggested you test your blood sugar with a device during times of hot flashes.

• aprilwhirlwind
    Original Author
    6 years ago

ioleary1, back when I had hot flashes some days it was - take the sweater off, put it back on- take the sweater off - put it back on - take it off - put it on - all day long. Other women used to say the same. BTW, I have type 2 diabetes, never had hot flashes or sweats when my blood sugar was low.

Sponsored