Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Peri-Menopause Reverse?

Posted by lcarter14 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:43

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone might have an explanation as to what is going on with me. I just turned 50 this past May. In March 2013 I began experiencing HORRIBLE peri-menopause symptoms ranging from heart palpitations, extreme dizziness, hot flashes, insomnia and EXTREME ANXIETY that I never want to experience ever again. I had also gone 3 plus months without having a period. I finally decided to see my gyn as the anxiety, in particular, was so bad I thought I was going crazy. My gyn tested my FSH, LH and thyroid. Thyroid was normal but, FSH (75.4) and LH (43) were very high. My doctor prescribed the Combi-Patch which I used for a couple of months but, my anxiety just kept getting worse and worse so out of desperation I contacted a gyn that specializes in menopause. To make a long story short she has started me on bio-identical estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. I have gradually begun feeling better and better. Just recently I saw her for a follow up and I told her that for the last 3 months I have had a normal period. She decided to run another FSH and thyroid test to see what my levels are now. I did ask her if the HRT I'm taking would alter the results of the FSH test. She said yes that my level would prob drop in to the 30s or 40s but, would not be at a 5 like when I was in pre-menopause. Well, guess what? My FSH level is 5. Is that even possible? I just got my period for the 4th straight month at close to day 28. I'm feeling pretty darn good as well. What's the problem then? I guess I'm really worried about having to go through the hell again. I'm not sure I could survive that again. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? How can I be going in reverse especially given my age? I haven't spoken to my doctor yet. I see her in early Sept for a follow up. Thanks for any insight anyone can provide. Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Peri-Menopause Reverse?

Boy, can I relate to this post. I could of wrote this myself. I had an FSH of 29 two years ago, along with horrible symptoms of irregular heartbeats , extreme anxiety, Insomnia...on and on. The Doc said early Menopause, I had it retested last month, it was 4 !!!!! I had the same reaction as you... I am expecting the worst, as some of my symptoms have lessened , now I am thinking it will all start over full force. I had waited to re-test the FSH , and thought that maybe I was Post , as I have felt somewhat better with some of the symptoms... I had my Uterus removed 15 years ago, so no periods to help establish where I am in all this.
I am confused as to what this all means just like you, You are the first one I have found to have the same issue, sorry for you, but a relief for me to have someone to talk to !!
I am wondering if it has something to do with he Thyroid.. as I am Hypothyroid, with Hashimotos Disease. I was curious before, but now I see you have Thyroid issues also, wondering if there is a connection... the Thyroid is part of the Endocrine system like the Ovaries ...
Anyways, I feel like I am rambling.. just know that you are not alone, and I hope you fee better knowing that someone else is dealing with the same craziness, I know I sure do.
Peace,
Rebecca

o

Hi, Rebecca

Thank you for responding. So sorry you are experiencing the same thing. Just to clarify I do not have a thyroid issue that I'm aware of. I've had my thyroid tested a million times and it's always normal. I've had my T3, T4 and antibodies tested and it's never out of range. I did have one bout of hypothyroid briefly after one of my kids was born but, never had to go on meds or anything. I'm truly feeling almost back to normal now but, I'm walking on eggshells wondering when all the horrible other things will return. How old are you if u don't mind me asking. Did your doctor give u any insight? You can be sure I'm going to ask my doctor what is going on. I was hoping, like you, the cause of me feeling better was that I was finally near the end of this nightmare. But, it seems I'm back to the beginning. I find it quite strange. My mother keeps telling me not to worry about it as I'm doing good now but, she didn't have to live what I just went through so it's easy for her to say. I'll keep u posted on what my doctor says but, my appt isn't until Sept 8th. Lisa

o

I am 48. Sorry I misunderstood what you said about the Thyroid stuff.
My Doctor basically said that the FSH being all over the place just confirms Peri-Menopause, and that it could take years before it is DONE. Quite depressing when you have symptoms that make you feel like you are going to drop dead any moment... the Heart stuff is the worst !! You mentioned Palpitations, do you mean fast , racing spells or irregular beats, like PVC and PAC ??
My Mom said basically the same thing, she literally said her periods just stopped.. no symptoms at all. And she was only 43 !!
It is hard not to worry when you are so concerned about things getting worse again, I still don't feel great by any stretch, but it is better than what it was. It's like the same symptoms are there, just toned down somewhat lately. It certainly adds to my anxiety to think it may escalate again, I can really empathize with you .
I think this is all very strange as well, as I was lead to believe that once FSH starts rising past a certain point, it would continue to do so, not drop back into the completely normal range ... makes no sense .
I highly recommend to you the Power Surge Forums.. all Menopause related, covering every topic you can think of, it has helped me tremendously .
Take care , Rebecca

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here