Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hypoglycemia anyone?

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 07 at 21:34

Hi all,
I'm in some sort of flare-up in the past few months. I've been nauseous and somewhat dizzy for about 3 months now. I saw my Internal med doc and he ran some lab tests and also several GI tests. I've seen an ENT and am having inner ear tests next week. I'm also seeing my GI doc when he gets back from his vacation. I have felt awful recently. I saw my OB/GYN on Friday, thinking maybe my hormones are going crazy again, since I still do have occasional ovary pain. She's running a few tests too to make sure my hormones are totally bonkers. Its almost like I'm back in perimenopause again even though I haven't had a period in 3 years.
One very disconcerting symptom that has returned full force in the past week is feelings of hypoglycemia. I used to get these alot when I was on HRT, but they evened out after I got off the hormones 5 years ago. But I've had about 4 spells last week of what feels like hypoglycemia......sweating, nausea, shakiness, weakness, feeling like I might pass out.
Have any of the rest of you ever had these types of feelings emerge, after you had quit having periods??
Gosh.....if its not one thing, its another!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hypoglycemia anyone?

I haven't had a period in 21 years due to a partial hyst at that time, but I have had hypoglycemia at times through the years. One thing that triggers it for me is eating something sweet in the morning. If I eat, for example, a donut in the morning, and have nothing with substantial protein to balance it, I will get hypoglycemic about two hours later. Another thing that caused it was the adrenal fatigue that I was having about 18 months ago, but it happened at night for no apparent reason. All the hormones (sex hormones, adrenal, pituitary, thyroid, etc) seem to work in concert. If one of them gets out of whack, the rest seem to also. It becomes less of a concert and more of a child banging on the piano keys, lol.
Mrs H

o

"......a child banging on the piano keys" LOL Mrs. Hunter!

I'm sort of on the fence about adrenal fatigue. It makes absolute sense to me, but finding a conventional doctor around who doesn't sneer at that phrase is impossible.
Did you do anything for your adrenal fatigue?

I used to have bread and an egg and O.J. for breakfast but it made me soooo hungry for the rest of the day. I've learned to never eat anything sweet in the morning too. It would just ruin the rest of my day. But.....with my fibromyalgia and its constant fatigue, about a year and a half ago, I drank a real coke in the morning for energy one day, and I never got hypoglycemia. I couldn't believe it. So I continued doing that every morning, along with a piece of cheese (sometimes, not always), and I never got hypoglycemia. But.....if I would drink a diet coke, I would get it horribly. I figured the caffeine and the sugar balanced things out.
But I quit drinking the coke because the caffeine was giving me ectopy.
I believe the days that I've had the hypoglycemia recently, I had a piece of bread and cheese for breakfast, and vegetables for lunch. I guess I need that protein every couple of hours. But it started up out of the blue again for me. All I can think of is that something with my ovaries/pituitary/thyroid/hypothalamus must have changed a bit.
When I used to get hypoglycemia (10-20 years ago), I could correct it within 10 minutes with something like O.J. But now.....it takes hours to feel better, and then I feel like poop the rest of the day.
I guess I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around the concept of growing old. I forget that it means our bodies are having trouble keeping up, as they did when we were younger. WHAAAAAAAAAA! I don't like that!!!! ;)

o

"Did you do anything for your adrenal fatigue?"

My gyn put me on a DHEA supplement. I eat high quality foods and more protein than most women, but I stay away from soy as much as possible. I take good quality vitamins and cod liver oil for the efa's, I try to avoid lots of emotional stress (not always possible), and I have read lots of books in the phychological self-help area (I guess I am my own shrink, lol). I have done a complete re-thinking of my life, made positive changes where I could, accepted the things that I don't like about myself, and generally tried to get more balanced in my approach to things. It has helped tremendously. I guess I stopped marching to other peoples' drummers and started paying attention to my own.
Mrs H

o

Thanks Mrs. Hunter. Sounds like you developed a good plan for yourself. I hope you're feeling lots better.
I'm curious why you stayed away from soy. I've been doing that too. I'm thinking if I'm having trouble with fluctuating hormones, maybe the soy contributes to that??
My body seems to be ultrasensitive to even small fluctuations.
May I ask if you use a certain company exclusively for your vitamins?

o

Well, I took a soy supplement for about 5 years, and kept having periods of hormonal craziness :)
I got to reading about soy and thinking about it in my own way of logic. I knew I still had some estrogen of my own, albeit not much, and soy mimics estrogen in that it will bind to estrogen receptor sites. I figure if I still make at least some estrogen, I don't want anything competing with it. When my estrogen stores deplete and my ovaries are no longer capable, I may reconsider. For Vitaimins, I take a liquid multi called Liquid Life Complete Nutrition. Liquids are supposedly better absorbed. I also take an additional food carotene by Solaray and B Complex 50 by Solaray (both in capsule form). I'm not as choosy about the fish or cod liver oil, but I usually buy a Norwegian brand from the health food store. I take Nature Plus DHEA 25 mg 2-3 times weekly. When I took it daily, my level was too high (my gyn checks it to make sure I'm not getting too much). She recommended a licorice root supplement, but I don't take it because it makes me feel bad (it tends to raise your cortisol). Yes I am feeling much better. I've been on this regimen for about a year and a half, and I haven't felt better in about 10 years. I can't say that it's because of any one thing or any combination.
Mrs H

o

Thanks Mrs. H.
I hope your feeling good continues!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here