Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm Really Scared - I Need Support

Posted by cactuscatie (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 07 at 17:49

Here's my story. May 07 was a year without a cycle, technically I'm done. In April and again this month I spotted for a couple of days. Had my hormone levels checked by my family physician (just happened to be going for an annual checkup) and she told me that all my levels show menopause except my estrogen was still high. She didn't know what that meant and sent me to my obgyn. The obgyn considered the spotting post-menopause and decided to do a biopsy and ultrasound. But she was not able to get into my uterus because I have a fibroid (had it for years) right near the cervix and it was hard for her to get in. So today I had the ultrasound and if the lining is thick, a D&C. I've been doing alot of research online about bleeding after menopause and most articles say most of the time it is cancer. I'm writing all this because I am asking for support. I am scared to death.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm Really Scared - I Need Support

Hi cactuscatie,
Please try to not be too scared. I had bleeding a year after no periods, and then again a year later, and it meant absolutely nothing. I just saw the OB/GYN yesterday, because 3 years after stopping periods, I still have intermittant ovary pain. She drew labs and will do a transvaginal ultrasound (which I've had many times before), just to make sure all is okay. But our hormones just don't all go away the minute we stop having periods most of the time. They can go on and on for years, fluctuating...........but usually not enough to cause a build up of our uterine linings, and then bleeding.
And our estrogen and FSH levels can continue to fluctuate all over the place from day to day.
You might have too much estrogen and not enough progesterone (which leads to a build up of the lining). It doesn't mean you have cancer. It may just mean you're still in the process of going through menopause, and your hormones are a bit out of whack. The doctor may just want to put you on some progesterone to keep your lining thinner.
I'm also wondering if your fibroid might be causing some problems.
So......please try not to worry. The first few years after our periods stop can be very crazy. Our hormones are still trying to do their thing, but they don't do it very well, and things get off-balance.
There are a bunch of reasons for your bleeding that don't involve cancer. Hang in there and try not to assume the worst.
Let us know how things go for you. I'm sure you'll be just fine.

o

Thanks catherinet for your positive words. I really need them right now. I just drive myself crazy thinking the worst. I don't know why I do that, it's just me.

Results of ultrasound will be in the beginning of this week. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again.

o

Hi again cactuscatie,
One thing I've experienced myself and have heard from other women is that when hormones are fluctuating, we tend to think its something terminal. Maybe its connected to the anxiety and panic that seems to get so much worse during this time.
Just keep telling yourself that its pretty normal to freak out over little things during perimenopause and the beginnings of menopause. That might help give you a little better perspective........although its very hard to give ourselves perspective when we're in the middle of such anxiety. We've all been in your shoes at one time or another. You're not alone here! (((((((((hugs))))))))

o

Cactus -- How was your dr visit? I hope things are going better for you, and that you've heard some comforting facts. Keep us posted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here