Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Puffy tummy... should I worry?

Posted by mclarke (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 17:37

I'm 55, haven't had a period in about eight months. I'm in the home stretch, I hope.

I've been dealing with hot flashes, but lately they seem to be abating.

My problem is a bloated tummy.

I have heard this is a symptom of menopause, but I REALLY dislike the feeling and I'm wondering (a) is this normal? (b) is there anything I can do? (c) will it go away? (d) what causes it? (e) should I make an appointment to see the doctor?

Does it sound like I'm fretting?

I guess I'm fretting.

I don't have gas; there is no pain; it feels like the bloating that used to happen before my periods. I am not constipated; although I will mention that I've always had a somewhat slow metabolism, if you know what I mean.

Can anyone offer some wisdom? Advice? Anything?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Puffy tummy... should I worry?

Join the club of big tums. I find that when I eat too much sugar or carbs, my stomach bloats. Otherwise I walk around looking 3 1/2 mos. pregnant. I'm 53 and have been in menopause for 3-4 years. Lucky you that you haven't!

o

No no no! This is not a club I want to join!!!

LOL... thanks for your reply, gardener972.

Does this mean that if I cut back on sugar and carbs, the tummy bulge will shrink?

I should mention that I'm tall and thin, and the bulge looks terrible on me. Feels worse.

Any other advice? From anyone?

o

Hey mclarke, I too am tall and thin and never had a problem with keeping my stomach small. If I started to gain weight (it always went to my stomach) I would just cut down on what I ate and my stomach would go down. Well that all fell along the wayside once I turned 50 last year. I look like I'm 3 to 4 months pregnant now and no matter how much I diet I just can't loose it. I have read a lot about menapause and the puffy tummy is normal. I think the only way I'm going to loose the tummy now is to break down and exercise. What hurt the most though, was when my daughter told me I now had the box stomach like a lot of women get later in life. It really brought home the fact that I am really in my 50's and it makes me feel so old......

Cindy57

o

I'd have a doctor check if I were you. Not to be a scaremonger, but one of the symptoms of ovarian cancer is abdominal bloating. A check up would give you peace of mind.
Marcia

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Hopkins info

o

hey Marcia thanks for the concern. I would be worried about my puffy tummy too if I hadn't already seen a gyn for Vaginal Atrophy and had all the tests. I'm afraid mine is just from plain old monopause. You are right though mclarke should consult a doctor just to be on the safe side. Let us know what your doctor says mclarke okay.

Cindy57

o

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

My puffy tummy is not so puffy now. It's odd. Like I said in my first post, it felt like I was about to get my period. Now the tummy is un-puffed, and my breasts are tender and my skin is oily, just as if I were having a period, except I'm not.

The last time I went in to see my ob-gyn, he said that I could expect hormonal bounces. I'm wondering if this is what this is.

o

From reading all the posts on this forum, anything is possible when you are menopausal.

Cindy57

o

That's so true....

Growing a second head? Must be menopause.

Having homicidal rages? Definitely menopause.

Craving for tadpole casserole? Menopause, no doubt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here