SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ky_marli

Help for newbie going out of her mind...

ky_marli
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

This is my first time on this forum...glad to have found it and even happier to see that I am not alone out there.

During the last year I have come to the realization that I am going through perimenopause. This was a tough one for me to discover [or accept] even though, looking back at the past five or so, I've also realized that this has been going on for quite some time now, even though I had no clue. I mean at 43 or 44 [back then], who thinks of these things?

The joint aches..well, I thought they were from arthritis [I am a Civil War reenactor and being out in all sorts of weather and sleeping on the ground could cause a certain degree of aches, I figured.]

Or too much time on the computer...carpal tunnel syndrom.

I used to be rather stress hardy, handled about anything just fine. That went out the window without a warning. Just being able to focus and concentrate was and is, still, sometimes a major chore and I break out in hives when it gets to be too much pressure.

Speaking of hives or rather itchy crawly skin...I get these symptoms now when I go to sleep [or trying to, I should say] at bedtime, right in the back of my neck. That's a new one on my evergrowing list of ailments. The recent heat wave doesn't seem to aid the situation much, either. Does heat intensify certain symptoms for any of you? Just wondering. I truly dreaded summer coming around this year.

Anyhow, sleeping has been a problem for me for the past 18 months or so. It just started overnight, it seems. I used to be able to sleep like a log, hit the pillows and I was out. Now I have trouble falling asleep or when I do the slightest noise wakes me up. My husband snores...I was in good shape when I managed to fall asleep before he did. That tactic doesn't work anymore. I had to move into a different bedroom for a while just to get some shut eye.

The night sweats are a pain as well, especially right before my periods start. I could slip and slide right out of bed on some night.

And speaking of periods...they never used to be as regular as for some women. I had typically 32-35 cycles which was fine with me. Now...for the past 18 months or so they've shortened to about 26 day cycles, lasting about a day longer than what I was used to. I barely got accustomed to that, now things are going haywire again. I had two periods with about 28-32 day cycles, then one with a 26 day cycle, and today I started spotting, two weeks after I started my last period. I'm realizing, once more, that everything I have learned over the years has just flown out the window, again.

I could cry, I probably will, the way things have been going....(I cry at the most ridiculous things as of late, at a drop of a hat . My kids have decided I'm out of my mind. I'm not far behind...)

Does any of this ring bells with anyone??? I sure would love to have some input on this. Help!!!

Marli

Comments (4)

Sponsored