SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oberhasli1

55 yrs. old and still having periods

oberhasli1
12 years ago

I am still having regular periods at 55 and my gyn has scheduled me for an ultrasound in the next couple of weeks. I have read various opinions about the pros/cons of having menopause later in life. My periods have become heavy the second day, passing clots, etc. He has recommended the NOVASURE procedure which I have been reading about. I am not sure I will do that. I am thinking I will just wait this out and hope I go through menopause naturally, just at a later age. Although, believe me, I am tired of all of this.

Does anyone have any experiences of being a late bloomer to go through menopause? Any advice? My mother was still having her periods at 58 or 59 when she had a hysterectomy due to fibroids. So, I think the age we go through it is genetic but my doctor doesn't think that is a factor at all.

Thanks for any input.

Bonnie

Comments (145)

• H B
    5 years ago

HU - sounds like you might want to check in with your doctor, good luck.

• mdmiller_us
    5 years ago

Hi I'm back again and want to give alittle up date I've been having periods every 3 or 6 sometimes even 7 months apart since i've been 55...Now i just had another period in may...now in july I turned 59 and decided it was time to find a new gynecologist...Yesterday was my appt she did blood work to see if i was menopausal and that came back that i was..so now i'm having a pelvic ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound.... this all takes place next thursday...The waiting is the hardest because your mind always goes to the worst possible thing....But I do know that what ever it turns out to be God will be right there with me...I always think of the verse in Deuteronomy 8:31 The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you;he will never leave you nor forsake you..Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged!!

• Related Discussions

20 yr old B&W 450 speakers--are they still good for stereo or is

Q

Comments (5)
    Aside from the fact that the speakers may need to be re-foamed, you're still dealing with 20-year-old electronics for the crossover network. And speaker technology has advanced considerably from the mid-80s. I would replace them. Choices: if you liked the sound of the B&Ws, check out their DM-603. Other brands to check out, if you have access to better audio stores, include (alphabetically) Energy, KEF, Mission, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, PSB. There also may be some smaller manufacturers whose speakers you'd like (like the Meadowlark Swift or France's Triangle). Enjoy the search!
    ...See More

3yr Old still on bottle

Q

Comments (8)
    What's the problem? What harm is the bottle doing? Do you think she will take a bottle to sleepovers when she's 9 or 10? Do you expect she will still want a bottle at night when she goes to kindergarten? You are on the edge of how long she will want that....my son was over 4 when he decided her easily could do without... It really is of no importance but to you.... Let her take the bottle to bed....tell her that some day she will be a big girl and won't need to take a bottle to bed....find some "big girl" she admires and say "big girl like, sunny sun bean" or whoever. But to put the poor little thing through even one night of bereavement (because that's what it is) when it's not necessary is cruel. 2 of my 7 grand kids had "milk and blankie time" which was the night time bottle and a cuddle in front of the TV in a darkened room and then to bed....gradually it became milk and sippy cup....and then milk in a glass and eventually "brush your teeth and we'll have a cuddle before bed" time. I quit smoking after 40 years......and the way I did was to always know that it was my choice and I could have a cigarrete any time I wanted. I suggest that the way to quit the bottle is to tell her that she can have a bottle any time she wants, but she's getting to be a very big girl and soon she won't want a bottle any more. But dont' make her and the whole house miserable over a few more months of a bottle....not worth it! Linda C
    ...See More

3yr old still using bottle at night!

Q

Comments (10)
    My 3 year old DD goes to bed with half bottle warm milk,we sing wee willie winkie,we all (the whole family)! kiss her good-night, I close the door and she happily goes to sleep and wakes at 6:45. My other DD, now 14 went to bed the same way. The day before she started school at age 4 (was in England), I told her that she can throw the bottle away and have a cup of warm milk before going to bed because she is going to school the next day and is too big for a bottle now. She was fine with this and it worked, though she was a little sad and still remembers having felt a little sad about it.She's a fab daughter and has great teeth! I think its fine if the child is happy with it, its not too problematic for the parents and the child always uses the toilet before bed and 1st thing on waking. My 3 year old is always dry at night but I keep her potty and tissues next to her bed so she can go straight away in the morning.
    ...See More

I have a 30yr old Adenium that needs some help

Q

Comments (23)
    Kadie, LOL, that table is an old cast iron patio set which is slightly older than I am. My parents have kept it over the years and now I have it in my yard to enjoy with my family. Well, "Lady" actually got first dibs on the table, and yes it fits her nicely. ;-p Tracy, Thank you for the information and help! Do you all recommend any fertilizer or any other nutrients that she might need? Thanks again for all the help and advice. Dan
    ...See More
  • geraldineekanem
    5 years ago

I don't think anything is wrong with you.The periods in between are also menopausal signs.No two persons manifest the same way.If it was any other thing the bleeding would have been consistent and not months apart. So you are very alright.

• Donna Natale
    5 years ago

mdmiller, I am in the same boat as you 58 and still going. Had a period in December and then again in June. It's very agonizing. Hope is killing me. I have been to 7 gynecologists. Please keep me updated on your prognosis. I think you will be fine. God bless you and I love what you wrote on your post.

• Sherrie Pelka Jankowski
    5 years ago

I will be 54 in a week. I am still having extremely heavy periods, with horrible clots. I went 4 months without a period and thought I was finally on my way to menopause- but then started bleeding again - non stop. I go through 10 hours pads every 2 hours and have ruined several items of clothing. The pain and cramping is horrendous and I can’t go anywhere that isn’t near a restroom. I am seeing my doctor next week and I am hoping she can help me get me some relief! I’m to the point where I want a hysterectomy already to stop this pain!

• Nancy Brooks
    5 years ago

I’m sorry to hear this and hope you find answers with solutions that help the pain and bleeding stop soon.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

I posted a long time ago. I finally stopped having periods but two years ago at 68 I started again. This time the doctor sent me for the vaginal ultrasound. I did have a small fibroid and thickening of the lining. I was sent to a surgeon for a D&C. The surgeon told me it was very important to have the ultrasound every six months. Perhaps it was what he saw because my own doctor disagrees with him but in doing some reading about post menopausal bleeding it is extremely important to do the check. If you have never stopped this probably does not apply but if you did and started again insist on the pelvic ultrasound.

• Terri Stephens
    5 years ago

I will be 56 in two months. 5 yrs ago I missed my first period (always have been regualr). It would be off two months, regular two months. Then off 3, bleed 1. Then I went 8 mths without a period when I was 54. Then it was bleed 2 mths, off 1. Now, I have been bleeding for 3 mths straight. They are light to moderate, usually with large liver looking clots and some crampy pain in my ovary area. Anyway, it is getting old. I am glad I found this forum, because I have been thinking something is bad wrong although, my PAP was normal and the doctor said this is just part of the process of menopause...(I am not happy about that.) My skin has started getting less smooth, blotchy and I have had some blemishes coming back occasionally, not to mention weight gain and flashing occasionally at night. I take iron supplements to help with anemia which sometimes upsets my stomach. Life being a woman has its ups, but lately it feels like a downhill slide. I just want to stop bleeding...(I didn't mention, sex is none existent, because who feels sexy when they bleed 24/7?)

• Donna Natale
    5 years ago

Terri, your story reads exactly like mine. I am now 58 and just had a period last month. I can tell you IT WILL SLOW DOWN. Hang in there if all your tests are ok. I am also taking progesterone to balance the estrogen dominance. God Bless.

• mdmiller_us
    5 years ago

Well I finally got my results back and I have a endometrial polyp...I am getting scheduled for a D&C plus a hysteroscopy... The nurse did say that most polyps are benign...

• Donna Natale
    5 years ago

yes, and they cause a lot of bleeding, had one removed about 5 years ago, you'll be fine God bless.

• Shari Harris-Dunning
    5 years ago

I have been having a period for over 15 days. Started light, then heavy, then stopped for a couple of days , then spotting with brownish discharge and now I am bleeding lightly and have some typical period symptoms, especially lower achy back, pelvic ache and my digestion is funky.

Would love some insight and suggestions. Am on vacation and out of the USA until August 22nd. Have contacted my on-gyn to hopefully set up an appointment shortly after we return to the USA. In the meantime....?

• Donna Natale
    5 years ago

enjoy your vacation. most of us have been through similar circumstances. you did not mention your age but this is typical of some women going through perimenopause. see your doctor when you get back.

• Shari Harris-Dunning
    5 years ago

I am 56 years old

• Sue
    5 years ago

My friend had this.. aged 53..after six weeks she finally went to the doctor who gave her the pill (normal version, not the progesterone only one). He said it was probably a last 'gasp' from her ovaries as they were ageing. She had to take 3 pills a day for a week (ie the whole pack) which sorted it out. After that her periods got lighter and further apart. She was in menopause shortly after. Hope that helps.

• HU-739042452
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I am 59 and still having my period every 28 to 30 days, how many of you are overweight by at least 4 stone?

• Sue
    5 years ago

My gynaecologist suggested that fat cells drive oestrogen.. oestrogen drives weight gain.. vicious circle

• Sue
    5 years ago

I was ok with my weight until 51 was 9 stone (5ft 2).. now 54 and 13 stone!!Heavy periods since 51 too.

No kidding I can live on lettuce and walk 5 miles a day and it takes forever to lose even a couple of pounds! My husband eats anything.. sweets.. cakes.. and he doesn't gain an ounce. Another disadvantage of being a woman!

• Donna Natale
    5 years ago

Yes, I am overweight too. It's the cravings that I can't control. Not so much hunger, just sweet, salt, sweet salt, it's hard

• eva1227
    5 years ago

I’m so glad to find this. I thought i literally was the only one who still is 55 and getting their period. I will go for four months without anything and just when I think it’s finally over my breasts will start hurting and Boom there it is! This has been going on for probably two years now.

I didn’t get my period till I was 14 so I figured maybe I would be a little late in losing it, but I am so ready for this to be over with.

What makes it even more for frustrating is that it always, no matter what, seems to happen when I’m going on vacation! Last year went on a beach vacation got my period. We went to Florida, got my period! Now I’m scheduled to leave for a cruise in 5 weeks and I know it’ll happen again!

I go for regular check ups with my GYN, but can a sluggish thyroid delay menopause? I know I’m overweight, can that affect it as well?

I feel like such a complainer when there are worse things I could have than a period.

• Donna Natale
    5 years ago

HI Eva, Funny you should mention getting in on vacation. I RARELY go anywhere but always have a period when I do. Makes me so frustrated. I know they continually check thyroid function when you are in peri menopause but I am not certain if it adds to the delay of menopause. I can tell you this, estrogen is found in fat cells and that may contribute to the periods. It's a vicious cycle because estrogen makes you gain weight and weight makes more estrogen. I am currently taking progesterone to try to balance my hormones. It has helped with the bleeding, but still not officially in menopause yet and I am 58. I am glad we have each other share our stories with because I was beginning to feel like a freak of nature. Wishing you all the best, Donna

• HU-934966654
    5 years ago

I will be 50 in a week and last November I skipped my first period...The period I skipped came exactly to the day following a 28 day cycle if I wouldn't have skipped...I went back to having normal periods after that with normal bleeding and lasting only 5 days...Now starting around March of this year I went from a 28 day cycle to a 32 day cycle for one month with stopping and starting periods (meaning it bled for a day very light it stopped for a day then a full blown period with heavy bleeding for one day then tapering off light bleeding for the next 3 days)...April again almost the same thing a little late on my period with stopping and starting and one day of heavy bleeding then stopping...May it was normal following a 28 day cycle with 5 day bleeding...Now here is where it gets tricky...June I went from a 28 day cycle to a 41 day cycle with heavy bleeding and big clots and period lasting longer...July again I went from a 28 day cycle to a 45 day cycle with heavy bleeding and clots and more cramps and periods lasting longer then 5 days (My mind was telling me cool, I am tapering off now with longer then 28 day cycles)...WRONG, August I finished a period with heavy bleeding for a day then it lightened up and went about 8 days of period then 2 weeks later got another one and really really heavy (flooding)...It first started off with a day of little bleeding and stopping then the next day it started its like I am getting 2 periods in one cycle (This is mother natures way of laughing at me for thinking I had it easy with 41 and 45 days between periods) lol...Anyways, so glad I found this site because it's worrisome when your periods are so erratic like that , and I know I am not alone when I am saying this, that all of our minds go to the worse and think the big "C" when this is happening...I know you all must feel the same because like me, you searched the internet and found this site so you are all so concerned like I am...Glad to know I am not the only menopausal woman who is paranoid about the changes lol

• HU-669904839
    5 years ago

Im getting SO TIRED of this crap. I went about 10 months without a period back in 2016. Then, while out of town - it started. And its never stopped SINCE! IM 58, about to be 59 & still getting this garbage. Some months/time spans - its "lighter", but every 3-4 months, my period is vicious! Currently going thru the worst period yet. Everyday: "chunko-beef" clots come out. I can tell when theyre coming. I cramp up ( thats when I need to run + find a bathroom), then i feel it pass, along with a whoosh of blood. I cant believe how much blood/products I pass & I dont pass out. My obgyn has done scrapings, pelvic exams, sonograms, blood tests, etc. No cancers, thou fibroids were found. I also have thyroid problems (goiter) & was on bc pills for about 1p-12 yrs before coming off. I have to wear some kind of pad or panty shield everyday & Im tired of this! I think I shoukd be on some kind of meds. I dont want a hysteroctomy. Doc wants to do a D+C, but how long term beneficial is that? Any suggestions would be helpful.

• Donna Natale
    5 years ago

Hi Bonnie

For me it is absolutely not genetic. My mom was done at 45 and I am 58 and just had a period in June. I opted to wait it out and I started to take progesterone every other month to control bleeding unit lI get to menopause. My doctor also offered me the mirena but I would have to leave it in for 5 years. I was not comfortable with that. I figured I can stop the pills any time I want if necessary. Wishing you all the best,

• mdmiller_us
    5 years ago

I'm tired of it all too...I just turned 59 and my last period was in may when i was still 58 (i"m hoping for no periods in my 59th year... I will go 6 or 7 and one time even 9 months without a period then surprise and not a very good surprise!! After my last period i started to get really bad hot flashed plus terrible anxiety soon as i woke up and then after an hour or so it would settle down...But still lots of hot flashes.. I went to a new Gynecologist. and she wanted to do some testing...Everything looked good except for an endometrial polyp...So I'm scheduled for a D&C...She did say the polyp could be causing the bleeding...but my bleeding had all the symptoms of a period...The hot flashes would stop, breast would start to hurt and i would have PMS and i would just know another period was coming...My blood test did show i was menopausal..I am really hoping they don't find anything serious when they do the D&C and that the procedure cures the bleeding..

• Donna Natale
    5 years ago

I had 5 D & C's and they each gave me a year without bleeding. I also had a polyp that caused a lot of bleeding so I think you're on the right track with the D&C. keep me posted, we are in the same boat. good luck, God bless.

• H B
    5 years ago

I had a D&C in January, so far it is helping. This menopause stuff just sucks. I’m posting a funny meme I saw; it’s probably old but was new to me and I needed a laugh, hope you all find it funny too, best wishes.

• eva1227
    5 years ago

I was actually talking with my sister the other day and she said that she was about 54/55 when she stopped as was my mother. I always thought my mother was younger, but she said she asked her and she was older also, so I guess it runs in the family.

My doctor emailed me back that they did not increase my thyroid meds after my last blood work when they should have, so now I just started the higher dose of the synthroid as well. So we’ll see what happens.

Let’s hope my cruise is “period free”!!!

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Two??? Three??? years ago in my mid 60's without having a period for about ten plus years I started having them again. I did have some polyps and other tissue removed. The surgeon that did the procedure told me that I needed to have a pelvic ultrasound every six months. Apparently from my reading women who stop having periods then start again several years later are more likely to have major health problems later. If the stoppage was just a couple of months this does not apply. If you have not yet had a D&C or even if you have talk to your doctor about continuing the periodic ultrasounds. My primary doctor does not think they are necessary but I am continuing to build up tissue in my uterus. If/when I start having periods again I am going to ask for a hysterectomy as a preventative measure. Today I had another hot flash similar to what preceded my last set of periods.

• Donna Natale
    5 years ago

Wow, 10 years and still not done with it. That's upsetting to me. Thanks for sharing your story and valuable information. I hope you have continued good health, God bless.

• Sue
    5 years ago

Just a little update. I wrote that I had an endometrial ablation in June....saw the Gynaecologist in August .. I had been told to expect very light or even no more periods. I wasn't sure when this would actually start so I asked him "when does it start working...?" From the look on his face I guessed his surprise.." er..it should be working now....".

Seeing him again in November.. he said if no change then hysterectomy. No change.. heavy period every 28 days.. not even 1 'freebie' month. It's a survivor, I'll give it that!

• Donna Natale
    5 years ago

Sue, you need to get a second opinion (from a doctor not associated with him). This doctor did not do the procedure correctly on you. This bleeding should have stopped immediately if this was done correctly.

• Sue
    5 years ago

Thanks Donna, that had crossed my mind too. TBH I just want an end to all this mess.. I want my life back. I am in the UK and if I were to change my doctor it would be another year of waiting for appts, tests.. I don't want another year of endless bleeding..Thanks for your support, just glad someone out there knows what I'm going through.

• mdmiller_us
    5 years ago

Okay just alittle update on my condition...I had my last period at 58 ...so my new gynecologist set me up for an ultra sound of the pelvic area and then a transvaginal ultra sound...Found a endometrial polyp..so then decided to do a D & C plus hysteroscopy... then She found 2 more small polyps and a fibroid...Today i went to her office and found out the pathology report and thank the Good Lord everything came back clear....She said i am in post menopause...so there should be no more bleeding so that means I hopefully seen my last period last May...Polyps can grow back so if i have more bleeding i will need to be seen again... I never thought i would say I'm so happy to be post menopausal!!! I use to think that sounded as old as the hills but now i think is sounds like freedom!!!

• Dawn Riggs
    5 years ago

Glad to see I'm not alone. I'm 55 and on my period now. Just saw my obgyn who wants me to have an ultrasound. I gave endometriosis and had my only child at 36. I'm sexually active and I quit using birth control a few years ago, thinking it was all going to be over soon!! I've been having hot flashes and been irregular for a few years now. Please, let the bleeding stop already!! 43 years this has been going on!!

• H B
    5 years ago

I was not well informed at all and have been surprised at how long my system has been slogging through "menopause".....had a D&C in January and the periods are now creeping back...not as heavy but 2 1/2 weeks long....uck. And I'm so tired! Prior to D&C they had seen polyps/fibroids via ultrasound, however when she went in to fix things up, they could not remove all of them due to location.

• Sophia Hoyte
    5 years ago

I am frustrated, 58, regular 28 day cycle, day 2 and 3 heavy but not excessive. I see no reason to visit GYN, they are not irregular, I never suffer cramps.

• HU-196798610
    5 years ago

Omg, I can't believe what I'm reading, thank you ladies I'm 58 and I'm not the only one dealing with this. Donna Natale you are so awesome with your advice, earlier on I had decided to let it run its course, because I think it helps a little with not having really bad hot flashes. Some of my co-workers who have already gone through menopause talk about the terrible hot flashes, although I do get many of the moods swings that I saw in an earlier cartoons one of the ladies submitted which was hilarious, my hot flashes are minimal and Light. I do experience a regular period each month but it's nothing like I used to have when I was younger which was extremely heavy. Once in a while I'll have an extremely heavy period with clots but for the most part that has somewhat gone away and with so many of us having similar experience, perhaps this is not as rare as they've claimed. I do feel that Mmiller who has graciously submitted her results for several months, her situation seemed more extreme. And she was justified in seeing a gynecologist to get to the root of what was going on with her.

• Donna Natale
    5 years ago

we're in this together, let's help each other out with support and comfort til we get through it. wishing you all the best HU, stay in touch

• HU-196798610
    5 years ago

Thank you Donna, that's an wonderful idea

• Stella Maris
    5 years ago

Hello Ladies, I am SO VERY HAPPY that I found all of you...but dialoging/replying on this forum is very difficult. I would be happy to open up a (private area) on Facebook to communicate information a bit better? Or if better suggestion then let's give it a try? You can find me here >>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/2083833588362282/?ref=bookmarks

• Donna Natale
    5 years ago

i love the idea so long as it is PRIVATE. I joined an Adenomyosis group on FB and all my friends read my comments, I was not happy.

• Stella Maris
    5 years ago

Hiya Donna. Exactly! That is why I would not feel comfortable posting here. It seems too open. How would this suit you? >>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/2083833588362282/?ref=bookmarks

Closed group
    Anyone can find the group and see who runs it. Only members can see who's in it and what they post.

• Jacqui Crisp
    5 years ago

I am 54, 55 this year in August, always had periods every 28 days, until two years ago, one night, in the fetal position for hours, then started bleeding heavily, like never before, losing bucket loads, meds, pads, changing them every ten minutes, and this went on for three months. This happened again in December 2018. Taken to hospital, checked out, more tests to come. Now, I am lucky to go one day without losing blood to some degree. Affects everyday life, bloody annoying

• HU-743587453
    5 years ago

I am 55 soon, three weeks away and still having a cycle regularly. Consistency has changed a bit but cramps are usually bad, and emotions are all over the place at least a week prior to starting. For these reasons, I wish it was over with. I do get hot flashes and sweats but continue monthly periods

• HU-345450774
    5 years ago

I’m this year. Missed 7 months of periods. Then last 2 months as regular as clockwork, I’m very heavy for first 2 days , but feel lousy. It’s driving me mad.

• Shari Harris-Dunning
    5 years ago

I’m 57 and was having pretty regular periods through June 2018. In July I had an extremely heavy and LONG period (like 18 days). In August I had a super light period lasting about 2-3 days. Then nothing... until last month. From September through January I had nasty night sweats and hot flashes. In February I started feeling some aches and discomfort in my pelvic region and lo and behold had a light period lasting 3-4 days. Since then I have had fleeting aches in my uterus or pelvic region. I have also had some lower back discomfort. As I often get digestive issues, it’s hard to tell what’s going on. I think my Obgyn once told me I had some small uterine fibroids.

So, I am wondering if all of this is normal or if I should get anything checked out.

• HU-745594132
    5 years ago

I am 55 at end of the month I had nothing for 3 months then hardly nothing just light spotting so I had a scan recently because I had a blood test a year ago and they said I was menopause. My scan was ok. Now ive had a very heavy period and thinking of going back to the doctor. They told me smear test stop at 50 +. My last one was 3 years ago normal. They say i cant have another for 2 years every 5 years. Has anyone else had this problem.

• PRO
    True North Design
    5 years ago

I am 55 and have been on birth control pills for the last three years. Doctor says I should get off of them because I shouldn't be taking them at my age. I have enjoyed a period, symptom free, glorious three years. Reading this blog Im terrified to go off of them. I dont want all of this to start again. I may get off of them for a few months and get the blood test to see where I am hormonally. I have had friends who have gone through menopause on the pill - gotten to the other side and were symptom free. My doctor also wants me to have an ablation because of my age. After reading about that theres no way. There is NOTHING WRONG with me. I have a bmi of 19%, I count my macros and do Crossfit four times a week. I dont want to goof myself up. Clueless what to do. Oh and family history wise.....my mother was 40 when I was born and she's 94 now and still kickin! Help!!

• Linda Young
    5 years ago

Turned 57 in February and have not missed a period yet. Used to have terrible trouble but Regular Bowen therapy has helped a lot. My BMI is 22. I eat really well, have always done yoga and walked and have just gone back to running (very slowly). I’ve signed up for pole dancing classes and I am going to get back into that two piece by Xmas. I still get cramp which I hate but I don’t want to go back to the pill. I tried when I was 51 and knocked on 6 kilos in short order and my legs felt like leg weights. So, unless something changes dramatically I am going to tough it out.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus