Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help please for hot flashes and night sweats...

Posted by jjewel10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 14:50

I have read a lot of messages and while the good thoughts are nice, I need help. Please if anyone has anything that has worked for them, please suggest it. I am sorry to be grouchy, but kind words are not helping me right now.

I have been on natural progesterone cream for over 6 months and I am still having flashes every hours and sometimes several every hour. I also am having night sweats every night. The cream has helped a little, but very little. I take it just before I go to bed and I only use the suggested amount. I got it at Whole Foods and it is supposed to be bioidentical and very natural and expensive too. The cost wouldn't be so bad if it worked better. Am I doing something wrong with this cream? I hear a lot of women get so much relief from this, but it doesn't seem to help me. Does anyone have any success with anything else.

I am starting a new job on Aug 1 and am afraid to look and feel so bad when I start.
Please help if you can. Thank you guys! I do appreciate your assistance with this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help please for hot flashes and night sweats...

Dear jjewell10, Hot flashes and night sweats are awful so don't apologize for being grouchy. I use the vivelle-dot patch started at 0.50 and now up to 0.75 and prometrium 100 mg (progesterone) before bed. Helps 100%. The patch is the estrogen. It will be 2 years in November since I started HRT. Hope this helps a little.

o

Can you tell me if these are perscriptions or natural. Thank you for your help.

o

They are prescriptions by the gyno. Make an appointment with your doc and see what he says. Good luck to you. Definitely worth trying.

o

I was in the same boat as you are 12 years ago. I went to an herbal store and spoke to the worman who owned it. She suggested Dong Quai. I didn't find chewing on a Dong Quai leaf helped much. Then I tried Solaray's phytoestrogen and that helped quite a bit. I went down to about 6-8 hot flashes a day and waking up to about 1 night sweat/night, sometimes none. I also found that keeping a bottle of cold water in the refrigerator, or a small cooler when I went somewhere, helped a lot. When I felt a hot flash coming on, I would drink probably 6 oz. of the cold water and it seemed to cool me from the inside, making the hot flash less severe. Then I became a Melaleuca customer and tried their EstrAval (contains dried soy extract, dried Dong Quai extract, and Dried Black Cohosh extract). I went down to 1 and sometimes no hot flashes/day, and while I occasionally get hot at night, I rarely have a night sweat. There is nothing to say these products will work for everyone, but I'd try them before I went to a perscription. Both Solaray and Melaleuca have good reputations for safe, effective products. I know Melaleuca is a registered pharmaceutical company the same as Merck and Pfizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here