Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WOW! Has this ever been a week that needs forgotten!

Posted by angs_pool (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 13:33

Hi, I'm new to this forum, Thanks for any help you can give me!! I feel like I found a new Family!!

A week ago Saturday my perimenopause symptoms came crashing in, I would have never thought they would come on so suddenly. To top it off my whole family DH 2 kids (9 & 3) and I had some kind of stomach virus!!
Let me also say misery does love company, because everytime I left my home I would look around at people and see if they looked "tired and moody" like I was.. LOL
I had NO IDEA what was going on with me until this past Saturday when I couldn't stand the sleepless nights and "not feeling like myself" any longer, I went to a Dr. and He said I'am perimenopausal, Believe me I don't like the idea but at least it explain's everything that is going on with me from not being able to go to sleep,the mood swings, the joint pain in my elbows and wrists when I'm trying to get to sleep, I have to constantly change positions, so frusturation
OK, You all get my point! Anyway, I just found you guys last night and I have learned so much already THANKS so much! I woke up at about 3:00 and couldn't go back to sleep.

I"M SO TIRED!! PLEASE HELP ME SLEEP!!
I'm almost 41 and I'm not going to take the Zoloft or the sleeping pills the Dr. perscribed, I didn't fill the perscriptions, Thank goodness because the Dr. didn't say Zoloft was a Anti~depressant he just said that what he was perscribing effects the right side of the brain that controls mood swings, sounds good huh?? He perscribed me 25mg but he said a normal dose is 150mg, so I didn't need much, It would just help with my mood swings. Then I got home and researched it and found out it's a anti~depessant, I'm not depressed.

So what I'm hoping is for some advice on natural things I can do for sleep, I just can't get my mind to go to that sleepy place~~I really can handle everything else now that I know what it is, It was the not knowing that was scary,
the deep breathing helps alot but at night when I'm trying to get to sleep, I snap awake, it's like I'm happy that I'm almost asleep and I'm making myself aware of it~~do you understand? I have a hard time understanding myself, lol
I read some of you like the natural Progresterone cream, so I want to try that after I talk to a new GYN on Thursday, I have a male right now and I think I need a female so she will understand what I'm going through..

Is there any side effects with the cream??
I really just need some sleep!

Thanks ladies for your help!
Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WOW! Has this ever been a week that needs forgotten!

Whooo boy! :o) What fun! There are side affects... if you use too much, you turn into an eating machine. BUT with the cream, the amount you use is adjustable...but you have to use it for a week before it's effective. Until then, I recommend lemon balm, made into a tea. Knocks me out. Also I recommend reading SusUN Weed... you can google SusAN Weed, but it's spelled Susun.... anyway, she writes a lot about living with menopause if you like her sort of way of thinking.
There are other herbs and soy to think of too... not everything works for everyone, experimenting is a good thing. The problem is, nothing herbal seems to work overnight, unfortunately, so you have to give it time.

o
RE: WOW! Has this ever been a week that needs forgotten!

Please listen to your doctor or at least look into the medication a bit further. Some antidepressants are used at different dosages to treat other symptoms--they are only truly antidepressants at the higher dosages. They get a bad rap because most people only learn about the side effects that mostly occur at the higher dosages.

Here's info about Zoloft from PDRHealth.net (patient/consumer wing of the Physician's Desk Reference online):

Recommended dosage for Zoloft

ADULTS

Depression or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

The usual starting dose is 50 milligrams once a day, taken either in the morning or in the evening. The doctor may increase your dose depending upon your response. The maximum dose is 200 milligrams in a day.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Doses may be prescribed throughout the menstrual cycle or limited to the 2 weeks preceding menstruation. The starting dose is 50 milligrams a day. If this proves insufficient, the doctor will increase the dose in 50-milligram steps at the start of each new menstrual cycle up to a maximum of 100 milligrams per day in the 2-week regimen or 150 milligrams per day in the full-cycle regimen. (During the first 3 days of the 2-week regimen, doses are always limited to 50 milligrams.)

Panic Disorder, Post-traumatic Stress Disorder, and Social Anxiety Disorder

During the first week, the usual dose is 25 milligrams once a day. After that, the dose increases to 50 milligrams once a day. Depending on your response, you're the doctor may continue to increase your dose up to a maximum of 200 milligrams a day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zoloft information

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here