Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No real period - 3 weeks of spotting etc

Posted by landygirl (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 13:17

I am 46 yrs old and past 8 months periods very irregular with missed periods and then spotting and long heavy periods. Three weeks ago my period was 2 weeks overdue and I started spotting - I thought I would get a heavy period in a week or so but two weeks later still spotting although heavier - its like ovulation time discharge thick and profuse that blood stained with small clots. I then got into a weird pattern, three days of blood stained discharge from mild to heavier then on third day 3-4 hours of heavy flow then back to very light spotting building up again over three days to the 3-4 hrs of heavy flow but no actual period and this has been going on regular as clockwork for over three weeks.
I had a normal pelvic ultrasound two months ago.
I saw my Dr lst week who says as ultrasound normal it will be hormonal but she has referred me to gyny and I have appt on 24t august and will have a tests.
I would love to know what is going on with my body and how to put up with this constant spotting/bleeding.
I am worried sick although the normal ultrasound is slightly reassuring.
Anyone else ever experieced this in peri???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No real period - 3 weeks of spotting etc

Hi landygirl,
Did you have a transvaginal ultrasound? I'm not familiar with any other kind. The transvaginal shows if your uterine lining is getting too thick. I would imagine that your's is. What happens in perimenopause is that usually we have an imbalance of our homrones, and our uterine lining builds up but doesn't shed properly....which leads to constant spotting.
You definitely need a transvaginal ultrasound to determine your thickness. (They are very easy to have done. I'm having one on Wednesday). After they determine if its too thick or not, they may give you some progresterone to take, which will help shed it, or suggest a D&C to clean it out.
Sometimes during perimenopause, the cells in our uterus get a little funky and they don't take orders from above very well, and some of them bleed all the time, and some hold on too long, etc. Once you get them scraped out, they seem to grow back in the proper way.
Even if you didn't have the transvaginal ultrasound, I would think anything really bad would have shown up on any kind of ultrasound. I think this is just a matter of your hormones getting a bit off. Please try not to worry. I think that at least half the world of women in their 40's and 50's go through this same thing!
(I had the same thing happen when I was about 48).

o

So, what did you find out? I thought weeks of spotting was normal for this time. I'm curious what your outcome was.

o

I've had very irregular periods the last two years. No periods for seven months, then two weeks of spotting, then no period for four months, then a week of spotting, etc. . If doctors can't find anything wrong, it may just be those mean old hormones. Me, I have fibroid tumors, which complicates things a little.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here