Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have late life babies out there?

Posted by atlanta63 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 07 at 8:13

What was it like to have a late life baby? My neighbor had one at age 44, and it wasn't an accident. It was the 1st child.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have late life babies out there?

I suppose I shouldn't even be answering this. My kids were born when I was 37 and 39....which isn't really that late. But......the only regret I have (if you can call it a regret, because I absolutely love my children and would do it all over again) is that for me, it was difficult to come up with the energy needed. Maybe it was worse for me because I have fibromyalgia, but its been pretty hard to keep up. I fear that their memories of me will be of me being tired all the time. They were about 8 and 10 when I started through a horrible perimenopause......that I feel like I'm still going through.
A HUGE concern I would have if having a child later than 40 is that I wouldn't live long enough....to enjoy them in their 20s and 30s, and their children.
Plus......our eggs after 40 aren't always the most viable.

o
Another thing.........

P.S. I forgot to mention that I'm 57 now and my kids are 18 and 20.
Also.....be prepared for people to always confuse you as the grandmother instead of the mother! :)

o

I had a "bonus" baby 3 months shy of my 46th birthday. First 2 kids were already 27 and 24. This was my second marriage and hubby didn't have any children from his previous marriage so we were thrilled. Maybe a little less energy, but have to tell you it's made up for in the patience department because having raised two already to adulthood, you very quickly realize that no stage lasts very long (i.e., the terrible 2's). I love, love, love spending time with my little girl and wouldn't trade it for the world. Also just recently became a grandmother, so our 3-year-old DD is now an Aunt!

I say go for it...getting pregnant at this age isn't easy (or can be a huge surprise), but the result is such a blessing.

o

I had twins when I was in my 40s. The biggest blessing of my life. I won't lie--I feel old, tired, and like I can't keep up with them sometimes.
But, I also feel more tolerant, kind, and settled than I did with my older kids--when life was always a mad rush. So, what my littles do not get in energy from me is made up for with the wisdom and patience that I have gained at this point in my life.

Look for a book called "Hot Flashes, Warm Bottles"--great read.

o

I got my third child at the age of 39. I feel great and still energetic now (I am 44 this year). She was a surprise to me then and now my angel. What a blessing!

o

hi there,
i went through IVF at the age of 32 and had my first baby at 33, so it worked the first time. had 4 embryos left over and we are going back for the "little guys" feb 17th, 2011. hopefully we will give our daughter a little bro or sis. my grandmother had my mom at the age of 42 and that was back in 1938, my mom had me at the age of 37 and my sis at 34. we are all doing fine and have the energy to keep up.:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here