Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Low Dose Birth control Pill to stop periods - anyone try it?

Posted by lynn2006 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 07 at 22:13

New Low Dose Birth control Pill to stop periods that was just approved by the FDA for sale beginning this July - anyone try it? Anyone in their 40's trying birth control pills to reduce all the perimenopause symptoms?

I have always had problems with my periods since I have been 9 years old. I guess I was given smart genes to help me through school despite being so ill like I had the flue twice a month and missing a lot of school days but managing to get good grades anyway. Then as I got older my periods got worse and now that I am starting perimenopause (started 2 years ago per my blood test), I am starting to be sick for 5 to 7 days each month and now my period is coming every other week! Well really twice a month but it lasts a week so there is only about one week in between that I am not all bloated with a headache and body aches and feeling so miserable with awful cramps and bleeding and getting emotionally upset more than I should. I have also been having night sweats (I guess these are hot flashes?). I can't believe that I am 45. I don't feel this age or look it in my mind but I am and it is upsetting me that my periods are getting worse.

I have tried the pill (for period problems) many times in the past but I was always a drop out since the symptoms never were worth it to me. I heard about this new pill that is now approved beginning in July that will let me skip my periods and it is a low dose pill but there is usually break through bleeding the first 7 months that I may not like. I do not smoke but I am over 35, so there is an increased risk of blood clots and stroke. But I am at an increased risk of never having a life if I have to work so hard on the days I am not sick and then can't enjoy life since the other days, I am getting behind in my work.

My insurance company will not pay for a hysterectomy despite fibroids and my history in my family of ovarian and breast cancer since I do not have cancer per the Ultrasound and since the blood tests shows I am in Perimenopause they think I should just wait this out and soon my periods will be gone.

I have to call my gynecologist for my normal pap smear and appointment and other tests she usually gives me each year and I am wondering if I should try this new pill for a year or will I be at an increase risk due to my age and Reynaud's syndrome (poor circulation in my hands and feet)? I know all the stress in my life, especially with the court case, is not helping my period problems. Sorry for sharing but I am feeling desperate tonight since I planned to do so much today but was up all night with my period coming so strong again after 15 days since it came last and about a week after it finally had stopped! It is just not the cramps and the bleeding but the all over achy feeling like I have the flu symptoms that I can't stand the first several days.

Any advice for those going through perimenopause or are in Menopause?

Thank you for letting me share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Low Dose Birth control Pill to stop periods - anyone try

That sounds awful, that sounds like a good idea to at least look into taking it. The Mirena IUD is something else you could consider too. I've been having heavier and increasingly awful cramps and finally went to the doctor about it. She just told me to take more ibuprofin before my period started and to consider getting the Mirena IUD. I felt a bit brushed off, she gave me a pelvic exam but didn't test my hormone level or anything else. I hadn't heard about your periods getting worse when you get older-I'm forty one.
Jen

o

back40...just read some if the posts...

found this site. it includes a the newest procedure i've not heard of..an mri-based treatment. the one, that destroys the lining of the uterus, eliminates periods from what i understand...prehaps these might be covered under your insurance?

as always check with the dr...don't be like me!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.fibroid-choice.com/index.html

o

Susanjf, Thank you for this link. I printed out sections of it to show my Gynecologist who I see on Tuesday. It is so difficult to be a female. I am so behind in my work right now due to my period coming every other week (twice a month but lasting for a week so only a week in between to be productive and catch up). I just want to be careful to not have no uterus contractions since then I will lose my orgasmic abilities. I just want to not have periods but do not want to have break-through bleeding all month.

o
Susanjf- New Low Dose Birth control Pill to stop periods - anyone

Susanjf, Thank you for this link. I printed out sections of it to show my Gynecologist who I see on Tuesday. It is so difficult to be a female. I am so behind in my work right now due to my period coming every other week (twice a month but lasting for a week so only a week in between to be productive and catch up). I just want to be careful to not have no uterus contractions since then I will lose my orgasmic abilities. I just want to not have periods but do not want to have break-through bleeding all month.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here