SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

New Low Dose Birth control Pill to stop periods - anyone try it?

susanlynn2012
16 years ago

New Low Dose Birth control Pill to stop periods that was just approved by the FDA for sale beginning this July - anyone try it? Anyone in their 40's trying birth control pills to reduce all the perimenopause symptoms?

I have always had problems with my periods since I have been 9 years old. I guess I was given smart genes to help me through school despite being so ill like I had the flue twice a month and missing a lot of school days but managing to get good grades anyway. Then as I got older my periods got worse and now that I am starting perimenopause (started 2 years ago per my blood test), I am starting to be sick for 5 to 7 days each month and now my period is coming every other week! Well really twice a month but it lasts a week so there is only about one week in between that I am not all bloated with a headache and body aches and feeling so miserable with awful cramps and bleeding and getting emotionally upset more than I should. I have also been having night sweats (I guess these are hot flashes?). I can't believe that I am 45. I don't feel this age or look it in my mind but I am and it is upsetting me that my periods are getting worse.

I have tried the pill (for period problems) many times in the past but I was always a drop out since the symptoms never were worth it to me. I heard about this new pill that is now approved beginning in July that will let me skip my periods and it is a low dose pill but there is usually break through bleeding the first 7 months that I may not like. I do not smoke but I am over 35, so there is an increased risk of blood clots and stroke. But I am at an increased risk of never having a life if I have to work so hard on the days I am not sick and then can't enjoy life since the other days, I am getting behind in my work.

My insurance company will not pay for a hysterectomy despite fibroids and my history in my family of ovarian and breast cancer since I do not have cancer per the Ultrasound and since the blood tests shows I am in Perimenopause they think I should just wait this out and soon my periods will be gone.

I have to call my gynecologist for my normal pap smear and appointment and other tests she usually gives me each year and I am wondering if I should try this new pill for a year or will I be at an increase risk due to my age and Reynaud's syndrome (poor circulation in my hands and feet)? I know all the stress in my life, especially with the court case, is not helping my period problems. Sorry for sharing but I am feeling desperate tonight since I planned to do so much today but was up all night with my period coming so strong again after 15 days since it came last and about a week after it finally had stopped! It is just not the cramps and the bleeding but the all over achy feeling like I have the flu symptoms that I can't stand the first several days.

Any advice for those going through perimenopause or are in Menopause?

Thank you for letting me share.

Comments (4)

Sponsored