Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot flashes - not sure

Posted by elizabeth_craig (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 16:36

I know this must sound stupid, but what does a hot flash feel like. I am 53 and have just begun to get erratic periods. The last couple of days, I have been sweating profusely and then returning to normal. Its very humid in southern Ontario right now, so I don't know if its the weather or a hot flash.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot flashes - not sure

Well, I'd bet it's a hot flash... I figured it out when I was sweating and it was 70( my summers are in the 100's). I only sweat from the shoulders up. Regular sweating usually includes my armpits. Hot flashing for ME is profuse sweating around the head. I have never had this "flushing" that some people get, I just get the profuse sweating.

o

No questions are stupid.. the hot flash usually produces a very warm sensation in the head area.. and sweat follows..not always but most times..you may just experience an unnatural warmness without the sweat at times. It may start at the head and travel downwards through the entire body..its different with each individual.. this can be followed by chills as well, sort of a cooling off period..so basically you can switch from hot to cold in no time at all.

o

Thanks Ladies for your responses. I am now sure that I am having hot flashes. My face, back of my neck, and scalp get a hot wierd feeling under the skin, which lasts for 15 seconds or so, and then the profuse sweating begins and lasts a little bit longer. I am experiencing this about 10 to 15 times a day. From what I have read in other's messages, this is not too bad. If this is what I have to endure, its tolerable.....for now.

o

I'm trying to look at a bright side to hot flashes - maybe they speed up your metabolism!

o

they do? don't tease me like this! :D

o

A speedy metabolism, now wouldn't that be a bonus. You would think that all the heat produced would burn up at least some fat. Its too bad it doesn't work that way...I'm thinking I could be down 10lbs by next Tuesday. I bet if this was a 'guy' thing, they would get a great side effect.

o

If hot flashes were a "guy thing", they'd find a way to cure it, really quick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here