Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I could just SCREAM!

Posted by heathen1 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 14:27

Okay... I have some hormone related itching... I THINK it's from menopause... I itch like I've walked through poison oak... I've taken benadryl and it doesn't help so I think it must be menopausal... anyway, I've been swimming a lot, and that must interfere with my MenoCream or something... I have been having to up the dose... and while I am waiting I just itch and itch and itch!
Plus, I am SWELLING! is that hormonal? My feet at the end of the day are like potatoes... and I swim and walk... I DO get exercise...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I could just SCREAM!

Can't imagine. Are women cursed or what? Maybe you should check with the doc. Are you eating a lot of salt? Maybe an alergy?

o

If there is no rash appearing, you most likely have the cursed menopause itch..mine feels more like something is crawling on me and I continously am swatting at nothing! swelling is indeed a symptom.. your retaining alot of fluid evidently.. time to go have a chat with your physician who perhaps can supply some relief.

o

arum, the strange thing is that since menopausing, I have rather been intolerant of salt... things that I liked to eat before seem excessively salty...so I know that I've cut down... BUT, I live in a Japanese household, can you say shoyu (soy) sauce? :o) or can you say somen? :o) I could probably cut down further...
I see the ole doc on the 17th... but he's not much on menopause, unfortunately, and I JUST saw the Gyno doc and I didn't think to mention it to her %$#@!*&^! and I try to bring notes! I was too busy having the ole feet in the stirrups, I guess. Well, it's always reassuring to KNOW that it's menopausal... even though I've tried benadryl both internally and externally, so I was pretty sure it wasn't allergies, though I am kinda the HIVE queen! :o) That kinda works huh, hives and being the queen? :o)

o

Maybe you could just give the Doc a call? Sorry you're having so many agravating symptoms. Hope you find some relief soon. How about a cool bath with baking soda? :)

o

I've had similar itching symptoms that I've characterized as "transient hives" -- itching will start in one place, even a small rash, and be gone an hour later, migrating to another spot, and so on. It started a while ago while I knew I was beginning perimenopause...I think I'm in fulll meno now (no period for 15 months now, or even a hint of one).

Benadryl and the other itching lotions don't make a dent. BUT I've discovered that Alavert (Loratidine, aka Claritin) helps immensely.

The itchies haven't been bad lately.

o

That's EXACTLY how I've been having it... the migrating itchies! :o) Hmmm Claritin helps? I found if I upped my dose of progesterone cream, that helps too. I will try the Claritin, which is easy to get....

o

the 'creepy-crawlie' skin sensation was the first sign I had of perimenopause. Never found a fix for it, but for fluid retention, some home remedies work fairly well for me:

eat cucumbers, asparagus

drink a tea made with dried orange peel. The deeper the pigmentation, the better. I forget the name of the orange, but one is almost red. That one's quite good

tea made with juniper berries.

o

I eat a lot of cucumbers...:o) good summer food!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here