Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this weird behavior menopausal??

Posted by scarlett2001 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 14:23

My sister is 51 and for the last 10 years has been exhibiting increasingly strange behavior. I would say she has had a complete personality change from a sunny, happy, funny person with tons of friends to a raging angry recluse. She is always angry, has lost most of her friends, is now very - what's a good way to put this- she has her nose in everybody's business and wants to direct the activities of other people. She cries, is impossible to talk to without flying into a rage about nothing. I'm very scared for her. She says this is menopause but she doesn't want to take hormones because we are at risk for breast cancer. She has tried the herbal remedies, no noticeable results.

Can this really be menopause or do you think something else is wrong? My guesses are either menopause, drugs or onset of some type of mental illness. She was always very attractive but now her appearance is also poor. This is just so unlike her. The situation is becoming more serious every week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this weird behavior menopausal??

Sounds to me more like depression or another mental illness. If it's been going on for 10 years, steadily, it seems unlikely to be menopause, imo. I could be wrong, but my meno changes have been intermittent with really bad periods of depression and anxiety, and spontaneous return to my normal state of function, and normal periods normally lasting much longer than the depressive ones. See if you can try and get her to seek medical attention.
Mrs H

o
RE: Is this weird behavior menopausal??

We go to the same ob-gyn. I know the doctor can't discuss my sister's medical problems with me, but I am thinking of just talking to her about my concerns. Or is that being a busybody? She will be furious if she finds out I did that. Now she has had a car accident- no injuries but lots of damage to the car. I just don't know what to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here