Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
After menopause, atrophy

Posted by Sammy (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 11, 04 at 12:23

Most women here seem to be younger than I. I have been menopausal for about 8-10 years, and am experiencing atrophy. My biggest problem has been the Pap smear, but I wonder how far the atrophy goes? I just saw my doctor yesterday, and was surprised at how small I had become. It also probably involves the urethra. Have any of you experienced this, and if so are there herbal mixes that you use that would be helpful? I stopped HRT after about 8 years and am choosing to avoid that route. But I wonder if there are harmless meds that would be helpful. (Sexual activity is not a factor.)
Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: After menopause, atrophy

Boy can I tell you a sad story about dryness, with a happy ending, it's sort of embarrassing, but here goes. I was so dry my eurethria (sp) had been pulled up inside of my vagina. When I urinated it drained through my vagina. Some of it stayed inside until I stood up then it drained. I had to go to the bathroom as soon as I felt an urge or I couldn't wait. I can't count the times I have come home and run to the bathroom as soon as I got the door open, often not making it. I was wearing panty liners all the time. I thought it was the typical problem women have and have to have their bladder tacked up. Thank goodnes it wasn't. I no longer wear the pads, no problems at all. The doc prescribed estrace ointment as a topical ointment for 2 weeks out of the month. What a relief, I could have cried I was so happy to know I wasn't facing surgery, a surgery that often doesn't do any good.

There are no "harmless" herbal treatments, if it solves the problem they are as dangerous as the drugs the doc prescribes. My sister is a nutritionist and she takes handfuls of pills, I tried what she recommend for my ailments nothing worked. Also her health is worse than mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here