Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
quitting hrt

Posted by Marda (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 02 at 10:04

For those of you who have weaned yourself off HRT,how did you do it? Did you get a lower dosage hormone and do it that way,stop cold turkey,or just take fewer pills?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: quitting hrt

Marda, I have recently talked to two women, one a nurse who went directly off and started spotting but otherwise is quite happy with the results and started taking eve. of primrose for the mood swings.

The other one who is in her sixties (early) has just cut back to three times a week and is also happy.

Good luck to you

o

Hi Marda :o)

I have gone off HRT twice...both times I just stopped taking the pills. I didn't have any problems, but in speaking with my new doctor (one I love), she told me that this is not really the smartest thing to do. She said it was probably best to speak with your doctor, but if that isn't going to happen, then drop the dosage and slowly stop.

I recommend talking to your doctor about this. I made it very clear that I had tried everything I was going to try and asked for suggestions of natural products. I am taking Black Cohash, three times a day (with meals) and that seems to be helping with the hot flashes. I also just purchased a natural progesterone cream from The Vermont Country Store, but don't see any changes, yet.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing :o)

Sarah

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont Country Store

o

I stopped hrt on my own about 10 years ago. I stuck it out for about a year, but one day I counted 35 hot flashes and so I went back on it. After trying several different patented medications and several doctors I now take tri-est a druggist compounded "conjugated" estrogen and at last feel like a human being. Plus it is cheap!

o

Sunrise, is tri-est the name of what you ask for? I went off premarin last fall, managed to get through most of the winter, except when people asked " are you ok, you're bright red?" but knew with spring I had to go back on, being bright red with sweat running down is not pleasant. Today a news story came across saying hrt is dangerous ....again, so I'm thinking of trying something else. Soy did not help at all .

o

Judy, I was going to tell you guys about that news story, but I don't know how to post a link. It was on my home page in the news. www.iwon.com. I think everyone should read it.

o

I have posted here in the past mostly for informational purposes, but I saw this article and thought everyone on this forum should know about it. I assume this is what you're talking about, Glassgoddess.

I wish everyone good health!

Here is a link that might be useful: Clinical trials halted

o

Yes it was! Thanks Phyllis.

o

There was a good article in the Washington Post on this study. That link is attached.

Use of statistics can be confusing and even misleading. For instance the phrase "100% increase in blood clots" simply means that of 10,000 women, 8 more would experience blood clots, or less than 1/10 of one percent. I need to give this some thought and look at alternatives, but plan to stay on HRT for another month until I've reviewed the research and will then talk with my Dr before I make my decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: HRT Study

o

Howdy everyone :o)

Just back from vacation and still feeling like a million dollars. I am very grateful to be one of those who got off the HRT merry-go-round. I realize it may be very good for some (no side effects) but for me it is better to be off of them.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hugs,
Sarah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here