Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Symptoms Found for Early Check on Ovary Cancer

Posted by marie26 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 07 at 0:27

This has been on the news so I thought I'd share in case you missed it.

The symptoms to watch out for are bloating, pelvic or abdominal pain, difficulty eating or feeling full quickly and feeling a frequent or urgent need to urinate. A woman who has any of those problems nearly every day for more than two or three weeks is advised to see a gynecologist, especially if the symptoms are new and quite different from her usual state of health.

Doctors say they hope that the recommendations will make patients and doctors aware of early symptoms, lead to earlier diagnosis and, perhaps, save lives, or at least prolong survival.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Symptoms Found for Early Check on Ovarian Cancer

Thanks Marie for sharing. My mother died of Ovarian Cancer at the age of 44 and I was 16 so I remember she did have symptoms (bloated, frequency of urination, smelly and a lot of gas when going to the bathroom, bad periods all her life but when she died she had not had a period for about 10 years due to the hysterectomy, etc.) but no one knew they were Ovarian Cancer Symptoms until she was in the last stages of Ovarian cancer (all of her body was bloated and filled with cancerous fluid ... went to the hospital for exploratory surgery to see why was looking pregnant and so swollen with fluid). They should have known to check for Ovarian Cancer since in her 30's she had a hysterectomy due to an ovarian noncancerous tumor but the doctors left one ovary that later did become cancerous. I am age 45 and I am always sick with my period but so far the tests do not show I have cancer.

o
RE: Symptoms Found for Early Check on Ovary Cancer

Thanks Lynn for sharing your story. I am sorry that your moms cancer went undiagnosised. I think there should be more info given to middle aged women. Maybe at their yearly visit to their obgyn. I will do my part to spread the word.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here