Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vaginal and clitoris dryness

Posted by shotzy52 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 0:16

Okay, this is driving me nuts. It isnt so much inside the vagina. The clitoris and whole vulva area is dry. I use some premarin topically, but that is it. I have inserted inside, but it is such a mess for a few days. It makes me feel very old and "dried up" I hate it, doesnt matter how much I dress up, I cant feel sexy and pretty anymore. I am on the lowest does of Prempro. Any higher and my breast are hurting. Does anyone take the Womens Essential Oils, do they help the dryness of loss of estrogen. Please I need to know if anyone else struggles with this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vaginal and clitoris dryness

Okay so I am the only one that fights this problem. Maybe it is just all in my head.

o

Hi shotzy,
I don't think its all in your head, and I'm suprised more people haven't responded. I know that dryness is supposed to be a big problem during menopause. I wish I could help you, but I don't seem to have that problem. I have ALL the others though!
Just be sure you get all the necessary vitamins for good health. Maybe you need more E? or omega oils??

o

You can go to your doctor and get a prescription estriol cream that will clear it up. I have also heard of soy gel made by Arkopharma in U.K. (don't know if it is sold in the U.S.--but I think it can be ordered over the internet). I know creams are messy but if you are uncomfortable enough or it has changed your pH to the point where you are getting recurring UTIs or you have gotten to the point where you have to hurry to the bathroom--it can be worth putting up with the cream to get some relief.

Bullsigh

o

Thanks so much for the posts, I have been so down today. I have started on krill oil capsules. It is supposed to have 3 times the omega oil that fish oil does. So maybe in time that will help. I have gone back to using the premarin cream every three days. I can take anything that I know will eventually pass, that is the queston, whether it will or not. I also have some estriol cream that I can use. It is about 6 month old, but I think it is still good. Thank you both again for replying I needed to check this site and have someone on my side. It means so much. Thanks again, Shotzy52 almost 53

o

I'm sorry you were feeling down. I don't know about the Premarin cream--never used it--but I swear--the estriol cream does brighten my mood. I don't usually mention it--because I don't want anyone to tell me it is my imagination--but there's no doubt it corrects the dryness. (Just getting rid of the dryness is enough to lift my mood!) Oh, and by the way--you are not the only one with the dryness problem. It's just such a personal problem--some people find it hard to discuss. Many people aren't even aware that it is a problem--like I was. It took several UTIs for me to finally find out on the internet what was wrong. I was doing everything they say to avoid another UTI--yet they seemed to be happening more and more frequently. The estriol cream put an end to the UTIs. No doctor (and I saw several) told me about estriol cream--I had to find it out for myself on the internet and ask for the cream. For other women who don't yet sense the dryness it can be recurrent yeast infections that cause them to seek help. From what I have read--the lower estrogen levels in our systems can cause the pH to change in our bodies-especially in our urinary tracts and vaginas. (both are made up of similiar tissues). The different pH creates an environment where things like yeast and bacteria can flourish. We always have those things present--but the different pH allows them to grow to the point where they can cause an infection. (Sorry if that's more than you wanted to know :)

I have read that this (menopause and it's symptoms) will pass. Even if it doesn't--at least now I know the solution to the problem. Also--it might help you to know that estriol cream is bio-identical and very weak. It's even thought by some to have some protective properties. I've even read that in Europe there are some age-defying skin creams that contain estriol. Anyway, I hope you are feeling better soon (physically and emotionally). I know how bad it can be when you think you're the only one--believe me--you're not. Dryness is a common problem--check out the net for other meno message boards and you will see.

Bullsigh--55

o

Thanks Bullsigh! No you dont have to worry about giving me too much information, no such thing as far as I am concerned. I used the estriol last night. I dont care if it is in my mind, I felt better. I am trying to drink more water as well. My obgyn's nurse practictioner gave me the script. She said she thought it was better than the premarin. I had heard they were using it on the face and neck in the UK. I am looking for another gyn. The drs. I have been going to just have to focus on the babies I guess. Thanks again, my spirits lifted greatly after the posts last night. Misery loves company I suppose. :-) Shotzy

o

You're welcome. I'm so glad you are feeling better. I'm not sure why so many doctors seem to be ignorant on this subject. It's a mystery to me and the solution is so simple. I even had one doctor tell me that "older" (that was a real ego booster!) women seem more prone to UTIs but no one knew why. DUH!

I don't know about you--but I have noticed a general dryness that has set in since my estrogen took a hike--dry eyes, dry skin, dry hair. I suspect it all has to do with the damn meno. But those things are easily controlled without an Rx.

Both of my grandmothers and my mother had hysterectomies and seemingly no problems (at least none they talked about) so I was completely in the dark. I thought my periods would stop--I might have a few hotflashes--and that would be it. What a surprise to find out that this would happen. Thank goodness for the internet!

I know I must seem like I take this lightly--but to tell you the truth--getting this problem solved was a "quality of life" issue for me. I found it very depressing to live with.

Bullsigh (no THAT much of an "older" woman :)

o

Now that I think back, 3 years ago, my eyes burned and hurt so much that I had to live with a eye drop bottle in my hand all the time. It went away almost as quickly as it came. But I had to stop wearing contacts. The skin went from combination to BONE dry. Even Estee Lauder wasnt oily enough.That I can live with, without complaining......Life was good today. I went to a Keith Urban concert tonight and acted up! Wow, who would have thought it. :-)..

o

Would you consider this vulvodynia? You could do a search on this and perhaps it would give you other treatment options.

o

I did research last fall. The ob gyn thought I had something that was very rare. Lichen sclerosis, I had a biopsy from a dermatologist (very painful) just wasn't clear. Anyway, they did explore vulvadynia and I just didnt display enough of the symptoms. to call it that either. But I appreciate the input. It is always helpful. shotzy

o

How about acupuncture? I doubt they would even have to get near your area, but would probably deal with nerve pathways to it higher up.
When conventional doctors can't help, I think its good to look at alternatives.

o

I think that is a great idea! In fact I know a couple of women that see them. Not for that, but I would be willing to try. Thanks, Catherinet, I will call one today. I start a new job today and one of the staff that work there has a husband that is a acupunturists. I am amazed at what Gods puts in my path, if I would only listen. Right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here