Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cellulite and menopause

Posted by Katalina (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 02 at 0:02

I have it all over and I hate it so much. Summer is here and I still have to dress like Nanook of the North. Someone told me it can be connected to hormones. I just started replacement therapy but I haven't seen any difference--it hasn't been that long. I am somewhat overweight but not really too bad--maybe 12 pounds. Does anybody know how to get rid of it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cellulite and menopause

Well, I'm no expert, but I have the feeling that our bodies know what they're doing......even if we're not agreeing to it. I guess what I'm saying is the deposition of fat, especially in new areas, is just what the aging female body does. I'm not sure that a little hormone replacement is going to change the course of nature. Sorry. :( I guess the only thing to do is eat right and get exercise. But, in my case, I think I just have to make friends with it (the fat).

o

Hi Katalina :o)

I have always had a problem with cellulite in the front of my thighs, however, since the onset of menopause and taking HRT, it became much worse. Part of it, I believe, was the water retention I experienced. My doctor prescribed a diuretic (plus Potassium) and that helped to some degree. I also found a recipe for a massage oil for cellulite which helped as well. This is from an Aromatherapy Handbook - Essential Oils for Radiant Health by Susanne Fischer-Rizzi.

Orange - 25 drops
Cypress - 8 drops

Mix these oils in 1 3/4 fluid ounces of jojoba oil and 1 3/4 ounces of wheat germ oil. Use twice a week in addition to the cellulite bath to reduce cellulite.

Cellulite bath:

Juniper - 5 drops
Orange - 3 drops
Cypress - 3 drops
Lemon - 3 drops

Mix well in 2 tablespoons of honey. Essential oils dissolve easily in honey. Pour mixture into the bathtub - either before or after running the bath water.

Drinking lots of water helps and I also use "Bongers" which are two rubber balls on the ends of handles (a massage tool) and "bong" my legs after I exercise.

Hope some of this will help.

Sarah

o

Sarah, thanks for your suggestions. I have just become aware of aromatherapy--I used to think it was just about candles!
Anyway, I believe some of these oils can have value; I'll try to follow your recipe. I also heard that deep massage specifially targeting draining the lymph system can also help. So...I'll try all of it!!

o

Katalina, keep us posted on how it goes. Cellulite is a difficult thing to deal with and any news about getting it under control would really be great! Good luck :o)

Sarah

o

Cellulite is stored, excess fat in the body. No cream or pill is going to get rid of it. Eating a healthy diet, with limited processed sugar intake, will do wonders to get rid of the cellulite. So will an exercise program that include weight training.

As we age, especially women, if we aren't physically active and we're eating/drinking processed sugar products and other junk foods, including alcohol, our bodies will store all that excess sugar because we can only use so much of it and the rest is turned into stored fat that shows up as cellulite everwhere.

Even a thin person can have cellulite if they have little muscle tone and they eat a poor diet.

Go to your local swimming pools and notice all the teenage girls who have cellulite and they can thank their excessive pop drinking and candy eating for it. And the lack of exercise that kids get these days because they sit in front of the TV or computer or Game boy.

Cellulite is stored fat. The only way to get rid of it is to change your eating habits and exercise.

o

The best and only way to beat cellulite is to eat properly, eliminating refined sugars, flour and some fats from your diet. Exercise! Exercise does wonders not only for the body, but for the mind too. So, buy all the creams you want, but you will only be wasting your time and money.

o

As I've gotten farther into post-menopause, I have more & more cellulite, so I've searched for a solution... first I tried losing weight, but the dimples on my tummy & thighs & behind just showed up more... cardio exercise didn't make much difference either... now I've added strength training, because of what I read in this article from Yahoo! Health:

Cottage-cheese thighs can affect even the fittest athletes, and though exercise can't prevent cellulite, it can help reduce the appearance of those tell-tale dimples. Cellulite is fat, so calorie-blasting activities and the right nutrition can make your skin look smoother. Likewise, weight gain can make cellulite worse.

"Women lose about five pounds of muscle per decade, and they lose most of it where they don't use their muscles: where they sit. When they lose that muscle in their hips and thighs, the overlying layer of fat doesn't have much of a foundation, so it starts to get pockmarked," explains Wayne Westcott, Ph.D., author of No More Cellulite. "Strength training can play a major role to tone that muscle and get the firm foundation back."

Westcott recommends moves that target your hips, quads, and hamstrings, but says not to ignore your other muscles. "Since all strength exercises boost your metabolic rate, they'll decrease fat too," he says.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fitness Fact or Fiction?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here