SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

How to make HRT decision - best book recommendation?

marys1000
15 years ago

I recently saw an OB/GYN for an annual, since I have moved a couple of times over the last few years this was yet again a new Dr.

I told him my periods had been decreasing and skipping and I haven't had one now in about 5 months, my longest stretch without one. My biggest issues have been mood swings (sad, depressed for 2 weeks, then ok for 2) tiredness which also swings about 1 week really tired, a couple sort of normal and 1 pretty energetic - and memory problems. (Oh and some eh hm, urine leaking) Being at a new job with memory problems is really hard.

I was sort of surprised when he suggested HRT. My symptoms really don't seem that devasting, the memory thing is a little scary because of possible job impacts but still its not THAT bad.

He said they are relooking at the data and if your going to do HRT its best to start early. He suggested a light dose of a synthetic (I won't do the mare's urine ones unless I'm truly incapacitated). I got the impression (could be wrong it was sort of a short conversation) that he considered this a long term thing.

I don't know what to think. There is a very VERY large part of me that thinks the longer I can stay off meds, and any all meds for whatever problem, the better off I am. Seems like once you start something pretty soon your popping 8 pills a day.

But since I'm just starting menopause things could get worse? My family is very small, most died in WWII. My sister (58, I'm 51) had major cystic tumors which caused real serious pain, HRT took care of it - after she went off HRT 1.5 years later she had no other symptoms - no hot flashes or anything. FWIW we are nothing alike and I don't expect to have the same issues or nonissues. My mother had a hysterectomy in her late 30s, I dont think she ever took anything and was a depressed, anxious beeatch a lot - (I don't mean to be mean, I love her but she's had issues) but she's had a real tough life and has other reasons for any issues so who knows?

Are the choices - no HRT => bone loss, muscle loss and ?

vs. HRT => which helps maintain bone and muscle, heart health etc. but may risk cancer?

I'm not sure what the ins and outs of this are, I've tried to pay attention but its easy to get confused. I haven't had kids. Does that change things? They say no kids = a higher risk of breast cancer right? But what does estrogen have to do with that?

The Dr. basically left it up to me (?)

Honestly I'm not looking foward to periods again either though thats a small thing.

Is there a one good book I could read?

Comments (5)

Sponsored