Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pap

Posted by young5344 (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 04 at 11:13

I have a mammo every year but how often do you have your paps? Interested in those over 55 yrs old and how often they go.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pap

Annual since I was 23. I'm 52 now.

o

I think it is annually unless you have had a hysterectomy.

o

I know they say it is every year and I have been going every year but I had read some time ago that if you don't have any probs that every 2 years would be ok. Just wanting to know if other go less than every year.

o

I don't remember what I have read, but there is something to what you are saying. No problems may be one thing, and no sex at all may also be a factor. Even without a Pap smear, they have to check the rest of the plumbing, so they might as well just check it out, I guess. I'm going to start a new post that sort of relates to this.
Sammy

o

I asked this year and my doc said annual, no matter what.

o

Thin PAP every December! :)

o

the thing about pap smears is its a game of chance and statistics - a pap smear has a 5% to 30% chance of a false negative result (thats missing abnormal cells ) - so if you go once a year then statistically you are reducing the chances of getting a false positive (ie. 3 consecutive tests in a row are highly unlikely to be false positives)

o

My experience is that the doctors say every year. The insurance companies say every 2 years. Hmmm.....

Susan

o

What is so discouraging is a pap smear will only show cancer of the cervex. It does not show any other type. I even had a vaginal ultrasound on the 8th of August and it did not pick up this cancer. I just don't get what good they are if they can't detect much. Very costly also.

However, that being said I do believe every year an exam is in order. Without it nothing could be caught.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here