SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheddarsmom

Prempro -withdrawal

cheddarsmom
20 years ago

I'm so glad I found this site!!! Now I know that I was not going crazy........... My doctor started weaning me off of Prempro last month (3/17/03) but did not tell me what to expect. Probably just as well, or I wouldn't have done it. First there were the hot flashes (quite tolerable), then came the constant headache (not quite so tolerable), then came the irritability (surprising and disconcerting), I was also tired and cold all the time. But when the crying started, that was it for me!!! For three days, I would start crying at the drop of a hat (not like me at all). So, I called my doctor to see if these symptoms were from Prempro withdrawal (duh, took me awhile to figure it out). She is on vacation 'til next Monday so I put myself back on my daily dose. It has been 4 days now and I am just starting to feel like my ole self again. I will call my doctor on Monday, but unless she has a very convincing reason not to, I will be on Prempro forever............ If anyone wants to talk about this, contact me. Karen

Comments (33)

• Jonesy
    20 years ago

Chedder, she wants you off of it because it is dangerous. The hot flashes and other symptoms will pass with time. Being exposed to HRT may kill you. I am imagine the last study has been discussed in this forum. I am new so I am not sure about that. They cancelled the study before it was over, because of the danger to the women in the study.

• Related Discussions

Husband allergic to my estrace cream

Q

Comments (3)
    You should discuss this with your doctor or better yet, your husband should discuss it with his doctor so that you can explore possible alternatives. Although it's not impossible, I sincerely doubt your husband is actually allergic to Estrace. It sounds as though he is hypersensitive to the idea of exposing himself to estradiol. There is nothing reported in literature for Estrace regarding any effects whatsoever for partners of those using it. I use Estrace, and since it becomes absorbed into the tissue, I can't imagine what "residue" would be visible even a few hours after use, let alone three days after application. I hope all goes well! Here is a link that might be useful: Estrace Vaginal Cream
    ...See More

What's with this WEIGHT???

Q

Comments (3)
    Kathy, I just started taking Prempro a month ago. Shortly after beginning it, I suddenly "gained" 4 pounds....my eyes were puffy and the rings on my fingers wouldn't budge. I freaked out too. I called my doctor and asked for a "side order of diuretics" to go with the HRT! He told me to hang in there and it would even out. Well just within the past two weeks, the added weight and puffiness are gone and I am even down a pound from when I stated Prempro. I have been getting more exercise and have been much more careful about what I eat, how much and how often. I intend to lose the fifty (50!!!) pounds I gained over the past few years. I don't know if all of the weight gain was from declining hormones, stress or both! So, Kathy, if you want a buddy to attempt the "Impossible" with you (take Prempro AND lose weight), here I am. I am not confident but I am determined!!!
    ...See More

Estriol Info from FDA + Wyeth

Q

Comments (1)
    edife: Did you read about the trials with Vitamin D for MS. They gave some of the participants massive doses 40,000 IU of Vitamin D daily and some a placebo. In all the cases given vitamin D there was some improvement of the symptoms and mobility. Some had great improvements and some less, but all improved. Ask your doctor about it or look it up yourself. Frankly if I had MS I would try it.
    ...See More

Wake up its 4:30AM

Q

Comments (1)
    If you just stop taking HRT altogether, I doubt it will hurt you physically, but it may make menopause symptoms more severe, or at least that's what I assume. In the old days, before HRT, women just put up with the symptoms, and seemed to survive it fine, but there are pros and cons either way. When my Mom's doc took her off HRT, she just cold-turkey'd it. Hotflashes galore, but I don't think it really made any difference in her weight. Mrs H
    ...See More
  • cathyg4989
    15 years ago

I stopped taking Prempro .045/1.5 about a month ago and I have had night sweats and also have been incredibly tired. Does anyone have any idea how long this might last? Also any suggestions to aleviate these symptoms?
    Thanks,

• shotzy52
    15 years ago

Cathy, I have tried twice getting off the lowest dose of prempro. All I did is upset the balance I had worked hard to achieve. SO I am back on the low dose again. It just so happens my ovaries are achy today, I havent had a period in 7 years or so. But I am aware, that HRT has some risk factor. I dont have breast cancer in my family, But I do have stroke and Heart disease. I started on HrT young, the studies were only done on 60 year old women with already existing health issues. Maybe I will be crying and emailing you guys one day with some terrible side effects of HRT, I pray not.

• annstu1_ptd_net
    13 years ago

i have taken prempro .625,2.5 for 14 years, i tried to get off it,after 6 weeks,i can,t sleep,hot flashes,crying, moody,i am 63, all my yearly check ups are fine, now they want me to try herbal hrt,i need a new dr., help me if you know od a natural med. for this

• gavinandivy_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Has anyone had dizzy spells when getting off Prempro? I have been weaning myself off for about 2 months now. I am crying all of the time, terrible night sweats etc, etc., and dizzy spells.

• se_rogan_hosp_wisc_edu
    13 years ago

I was told by a surgeon who is eager to take out all my reproductive organs that I had to stop the prempro I'd been taking for almost 20 years because the lining of my uterus was too thick & she wants to do an endometrial biopsy. Since I've been off prempro for 3 mos. I've been a basket case, ready to tell off my boss & anyone else who tries to push me to my limits where they can get off. I've been called into my boss's office 3x in the past month about my attitude.I'm going to wind up without a job. And I'm ready to die of cancer to rid myself of the anger that consumes me.

• karen_losd_org
    13 years ago

I just started weaning off Prempro after 13 years taking it. I read a lot of forums, decided to try acupuncture to help with side effects. So far, better than any of my previous attempts! I slept like a baby the night I had my first acupuncture treatment - for ten hours! The next nite I didn't take a pill again....but didn't sleep too well at all. We'll see how night 3 goes. Any advice on how quickly to wean off?

• L2cohen2000_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I'm 67 and was place on Prempro at 51. Two years ago I rediced the dosage to .45. Last year I went off Lexapro and had a rough year. This year I am trying to wean myself off Prempro. I am taking .45 every other day. It has been 2-weeks and no bad effects. My next step is to try .3 once I feel I can reduce more. I might alternate .45 with .3. Initially I had trouble sleeping but that was already a problem for me. The past 2 night I slept very well. I am using Herbal remedies: Passionflower and Holy Basil to help with my mood. I just want to be drug free and this is my final steps.

• TracyMStone
    10 years ago

I have been on primpro for 4 months and am gaining weight. I want to get off but these postings are scaring me!! I got on this to ask how to wean off, any suggestions? Im on a low dose.

• drozey
    10 years ago

I am 54 and just now thinking of trying Prempro... all the things you are saying your withdrawals are ... are the same things I have been struggling with for 8 years going through the change with not HRT!!!! I feel like it is worth a try if your quality of life is better.... even if it is not perfect. Most of the studies I read said that Prempro got a bad rap that most of the women who started the HRT while going though menopause did well....it was the ones who had been through it already and dr.'s started prescribing to them for other reasons 10 years after going through the change...that suffered most of the bad results. Im not sure what to do but it looks grimm either way!

• karak
    10 years ago

I am having an allergic reaction to Prempro, so I had to go off it cold turkey. I have a severe rash....and the withdrawal symptoms are horrible. I am SO down... I am thankful for this site. Still have the rash and itching. Been 7 days since I have stopped taking it. It was doing wonders for me, otherwise. Really great for my blood pressure. We are going to start something new as soon as this is out of my system. Hang in there, sisters.

• KathyP1952
    10 years ago

Has anyone gone off Prempro with success? If so, what was helpful. I'm dying here....feel like i'm going crazy. Wake up all night soaking wet...been off it for 3 weeks, my 5th time trying to go off of it. Have tried lots of diff supplements. I cant' take it anymore-I'm sleep deprived, brain is foggy. I'm either flaming hot and wet or icy cold...brrrr.
    I am wondering when these symptoms will EVER go away-would like to hear how other's bodies have responded. I am 61 yrs old and been on Prempro for 7 years. I'm not sold that the risk for me with no cancer in my family is worth going through this hell. As a matter of fact, I'm gong back on the lowest dose tonight...I can hardly function anymore.Would love to hear any feedback about your experiences.
    Kathy in California

• Dancershar97
    10 years ago

First time on this forum. Was on HRT for 20plus years. Started going off the end of August. Wasn't bad till just lately. Went slow. Added an extra day off every five or six weeks. Did anyone have chest pain as a withdrawal symptom? Or acid reflex? Am on pepcid now and Dr. said would take 6 weeks to heal. It's just the chest pain that bothers me. Had panic attacks again (have them periodically) too.

• joanies
    9 years ago

This is my first week of getting off of Prempro. I have been taking it for two years. I am 53 years old, and I don't want to pay the $100.00 a month anymore. Now, after seeing all of the possible side-effects of long-term use makes me more determined. I am starting with full dose every other day for two weeks and see how I feel. I would love feedback or suggestions.

• didi768
    9 years ago

I think I will need the hormones because i can't stop crying and sweating. Wanted to literally die many times, my poor family!! Plus, my psych docs thinks I should b/c it might help me not need such a high dose of meds for my Bipolar II diagnosis. I'm on Lamictal for that. 150mg and going higher.

• joanies
    9 years ago

I have been taking my regular dose of Prempro every other day for two weeks . I have been getting mild hot flashes. I am feeling "blue" now and my stomach feels bloated and painful. I am determined to get off this Rx within three months.

• TMC113
    9 years ago

I have been on Prempro for 7 years. I have stopped several times for as long as 7 months. This time the withdrawal is real bad. Hot flashes, acid reflux is extreme, aches and pains all over, irritable, emotional and gaining weight quickly. I want my Prempro...and I want it NOW! I am healthy so my doctor is not concerned with any risk. I just want to feel normal again.

• Peeger
    9 years ago

I am 57 yrs. old, and have been on Prempro for about 17 years. I went into menopause very early. About three years ago, I went on the lowest dose possible. I have a history of heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke in my family, no breast, uterine or vag cancer, but I was still concerned about the health issues. I am healthly myself, but have migraines. No problems with my health during the time I took Prempro for all these years. MY BP is great. Anytime I tried to go off Prempro, I'd get mild hot flashes and horrid pain from dryness during sex. I did not want to use the topical gel stuff. So, I said no, and went back on it.

I have been very busy and did not fill my RX for Prempro. Then, two weeks went by, three weeks, and I did not feel bad. And, so far, sex was not painful! Go figure!??? My doctor had said to go every other day, every two, etc. This was not planned to go off cold turke!.

But, I have been emotional. Not crying all the time, but will go off at moments in anger and cry, irritable. I did not associate it with the withdrawal until I read these posts!

I have felt puffy in the tummy, but no weight gain on the scale. I have been very cold, and no one else was in the house, so I just thought I was getting sick. I am dizzy here or there, and heart palpitations, but just thought I had not been eating well enough. Are this all withdrawal symptons? But, overall, I could endure this, it is not a problem. I am concerned my skin will get dried out or something, and look awful. I look tired but I have been working alot. Is this okay to continue with no hormones, or would you call your doctor? Advice, anyone??

• Mary Harrington
    8 years ago

I have been on prempro for 30 years with no problems. Last week I had a mini-stroke and my doctor took me off cold-turkey. I have such a headache all the time but she is concerned that I will have another stroke. Have any of you had strokes?

• Jennifer Ross
    8 years ago

I tried to wean off prempro over a six month period. I am 64 years old and have been on 0.3mg/1.5mg of prempro for 15 years. I have had a lot of deep muscle pain in both my arms & legs. My head is often "fuzzy" & skeletal system stiff. Previous I walked 3 to 5 miles daily. I don't drink or smoke. I am 5'8" & weigh 130 pounds. I have been doing stretching exercises, taking hot bats & getting messages. I have had X-rays & been to a rheumatologist. The only the I was told is that everything is normal. I have started taking the prempro again last month. I still do not feel well & don't know what I should do. Another concern is that my sister has been diagnosed with poly myalgia. Any comments &/or suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you, Jennifer

• stanki7
    8 years ago

Hi. This is my first time to post anything here. I'm 63 and have been on Prempro (lowest possible dose) since about 2003. I was going through perimenopause I guess when I started Prempro. I was hospitalized 6 days in 2007 and the doc on call ordered that my Prempro be stopped. He wasn't my personal doctor, and as a transcriptionist, I knew I was "spiking temperatures" because of severe hot flashes! Anyway, he refused to cooperate. After my stay in the hospital, I went back to my Prempro, but it took a couple of months before I stopped having constant crying, suicidal thoughts, hot flashes, chills, everything usually listed with Prempro withdrawal or menopausal symptoms. I tried bioidentical creams but the testosterone was way too high, so I stopped those and went back to Prempro. I thought I was doing well during the 2-3 seasons of time I lowered my dose to 3-4 per night instead of every night. Once I got below 3 pills per week, I'd get the severe symptoms back, especially irritability, rage, anger, frustration, suicidal (constant thoughts of it with well-made plans about it) and constantly wanting a divorce over previously somewhat easy to overlook issues in my marriage. I had been lowering my Prempro amount recently, down to about 2 per week, when those same near-suicide emotions again took over. I was absolutely sure I needed to either die or get a divorce. I was praying and crying every single day, sometimes many times a day, asking God to please help me!! Last Sunday morning (I had taken a Prempro that Sat. nite), I woke up and it was like a light went on. "Remember...you felt just like this during the 2007 hospital stay and that other time later on?" YES!! Just knowing the CAUSE of all this intense angst/mental illness was a huge relief. I took a Prempro before going to church and have taken it every night since. I can't say the marital issues are non-existent, but my marriage's flaws are again on the backburner and not blazing the house down! I have a new primary care doc who gives bioidentical HRT to his patients, but I'm fairly resigned to staying on Prempro til I die...not at my own hand, hopefully! I have fibromyalgia and a lifelong severe case of nightly insomnia, so I'm not naturally a "happy camper" thanks to those things. But these symptoms just aren't worth it. Don't know if anyone will benefit from this story, but go away with this: If you've never been on HRT and can find homeopathic stuff to be helpful, go that route. If your symptoms of major depression are close to as bad as mine and you're weaning off Prempro, do yourself and your world a favor and stay on it! 8:)

• PRO
    none
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It took me two years to get off Prempro, it is not for the faint of heart. I would go off, get crazy : ) and rush back on to it. Finally, at 52 (I started it about 44 - I went into menopause early), I planned it carefully and decided that I would go off - regardless of the symptoms. I was already down to the lowest dose and began to skip a day, then two, then three, I weaned myself slowly. Not to say it didn't save my sanity, I could barely work without it at 44. I really think I am that percentage of women really needed these hormones to make it through the work day. With it I slept well and could function. I did gain some weight but overall, if I do not get cancer (pray pray) I would say it was a positive experience for me.

But it was time to get off of it.

My sister was pushing me and a good friend went through a double mastectomy (not Prempro related but it served as a reality check). I made sure the time of year was conducive for me (mid August initially - but I faltered once. By September 1st I was off it completely, it was cooler weather, and work is less stressful). I made sure to eat very healthy two months beforehand, began low to mod exercise daily, get sunshine (walking, biking, kayaking) and to listen to my body. I am 5'6" and overweight at 170lbs, so for me it was even harder. I think being out of shape makes getting off more difficult.

Girlfriends, you will be more successful if you plan it well and prepare for what is ahead. I made sure I had no important decisions I would have to make during that time and I reminded myself not to make any major decisions. Keeping a cool head during this time may be more difficult than you think. What no one tells you is that Prempro is a mood enhancer for some of us, so when you go off, your body is withdrawing from a "high". I don't care about the science that tells me there are no withdrawal symptoms, for some of us there are, and they are real. Tell your friends and family what you plan to do and ask for their support. A friend decided to make a pop in visit and stayed with me for a week and I warned her : ) but I was determined. She was shocked, I was a mess! Lol, I was determined this time and nothing was going to stop me from getting off this drug. The hot flashes were horrible, headaches, crying, sad, all of it. My body became painful, I felt it in my joints, and even in my teeth! I kid you not, all of these little aches everywhere. I even had a horrible bout of diverticulitis, which I attributed to the constipation due to my lack of keeping hydrated (hot flashes mean increased sweating).

Keep healthy snacks that you like in the fridge (no cheese or other foods that may constipate you). Only keep healthy food that you like in your house. Get rid of the alcohol, no wine, no sweets, no pasta and no baked goods. Just during this time. Instead fill your fridge with yogurt, fresh fruit, dates (for a sweet treat), canned fruit, vegetables and broths, low fat meats, soups, etc. Drink a lot of water during this time, keep two pitchers filled with water on your counter and make sure both are empty before you go to bed. Water, water, water. Use coconut oil to relieve dryness during sex. It has been two full months and I have to say, the worst is over. I eat more vegetables, I have added Kefir to my diet (diverticulitis) and bone broth (I only buy organic meats now and I crack the bones and boil them in a crock pot). I still don't sleep wonderfully, and I still have the occasional hot flash - but I am OFF!

Take the time to plan ahead and know what makes you happy and gets you out of your head (visiting an animal shelter and petting kittens, a trip to the beach, a trip to NYC, a car ride to the country with the top down, take a water aerobics class at your local pool, a favorite coffee shop, pound nails : ) Write these things in a notebook because this is your go-to list when you get the mean reds. Go to that list when your body aches, your head hurts and you are crying like a baby and move on it. Go out, get fresh air. Body aches? Then just take a walk in the woods. I have to say low to moderate exercise is key during this period of withdrawal.

There will be days that you do not get out of bed. Plan this - it will happen. Take days for yourself and plan nothing so that you can stay in your jammies and nap all day. You will probably be sad - a little bit - every single day. You will replay things in your head. You will probably get little aches and pains. What helped for me was books on tape, it was amazing to be able to become absorbed into these stories or poetry, podcasts and TED talks to get me out of my head on those days when I could not move. TV just didn't do it for me - I needed something that would absorb my mind. If you falter and cannot take it, have a fresh pack of pills in your cabinet and go back on it but only for two or three days - then try again right away. I initially marked mid August as my full start date but faltered. After three more days on the Prempro for a little relief, I tried again.

It is now mid November and the worst is over. I feel great, not perfect but really great! I wish you the very best in your journey.

• gngerbee56
    7 years ago

So happy to have found this site. I am 60 years old and have been on Prempro since I was 50. It stopped my periods and I avoided a hysterectomy that was the purpose my doctor put me on this HRT Now my insurance will not cover it anymore and I cannot afford the cost so I am off prempro. I have turned into a nightmare My emotions are out of control and I have a significant amount of irritability that turns to anger. I am also a diabetic and have struggled with controlling my blood sugars. I have severe depression and have been on antidepressants for years. Last year my husband was diagnosed with bipolar one and suffered with a complete psychotic breakdown . I feel like I am at the end of my rope I am scared that this feeling is not going to go away and that I am losing control of myself . Sometimes I don't even get out of bed. I will go days without showering. This is all so strange to be putting into words, it's like I'm writing about someone else. I've lost all motivation and am at the end of my rope. Could this all be due to prempro withdrawal? I hope to hear from someone who can relate

• Mary Harrington
    7 years ago

gingerbee56, it is helpful for us who had to get off prempro to hear your symptoms. I had a mini-stroke last year after being on prempro for 30 years... they took me off, not gradually. I wondered why I cry so much even seeing commercials with sick children. Irritable toward my dear husband. sick a lot with aches and pains and do not sleep well. My cardiologist said he has no problem with me taking a low dose, but neither my PCP nor my Gynecologist (woman) will even consider it. My skin has aged quickly and my boobs are not that great. Actually, the weird thing is that within 3 months of being off prempro, I got a large benign breast cyst.. first time ever. I think they don't know what they are doing and we suffer.

• Julie Swanson
    7 years ago

gngerbee56 I also stopped prempro when my cost was $500 per month.! My biggest ailments are headache, body aches and insomnia. I rarely have headaches and couldn't find the cause ( or relief) until I started to ask myself what has changed. I believe I'm suffering withdrawals and can deal with some discomfort. I may try some homeopathic aids some on this site have recommended. Ironically, my insurance covers my husbands Cialis for free!

• Jan Durant McGraw
    7 years ago

I am beginning my weaning process but after reading all this I don't know if I can do it. We have a doctor in town doing bio-denticals. Maybe I should go see him,

• Suzanne Sorige
    6 years ago

I am so sorry to hear everyone's stories. I find all this heartbreaking because unless you live it - no one believes how horrible it is. I too just stopped Prempro. I am on day 4. But I had to because I have breast cancer. Just diagnosed last Wednesday. The surgeon just said you have to stop taking it. Zero warning on what is to come. Today - I have started crying twice. Not like me. But hey - I've got a good reason to cry right? But then started to be nauseous and dizzy. And it dawned on me - the hormone replacement therapy. And here I am reading all this. WTF. Really. You don't even discuss it? As if I don't have enough challenges right now!!! I am so disgusted. To all the woman that land here - hugs to you all.

• Jo Richards
    6 years ago

I am weaning off Prempro and it is awful. Hot flashes, stomach pains and muscle pains in the feet, legs, hips, shoulders, arms and hands. Am I crazy or are these pains going to ever go away!! Also very tense with anziety.

• Anne Porter
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am getting pelvic pain I have gone on a low dose. e natural hormone. Hope it agrees with my body as a alternative to the Prempro I've been on

• burrmichelle
    6 years ago

I am 47 and I have been on Prempro for about 6 months, at first I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now... after gaining about 15 pounds... increased migraines and feeling "swollen" all the time I am contemplating weaning myself off. I am still having night sweats and hot flashes but not as intense. Contemplating if it's really worth the risk of increased migraines and possibly increased risk for cancer just to not have the other symptoms prior to medicine. Is there some alternative or natural supplements to help ease the night sweats/hot flashes?

• Suzanne Sorige
    6 years ago

Hi there - I took Prempro for 2.5 years. I took other HRT before that - on and off for 6 years. The risk is significant for breast cancer using combination HRT. With those side effects and such a small reduction in symptoms - I would DEFINITELY wean yourself off (do it over as much time as possible). I would hit the gym. Gross - right? But let me tell you - it is easier than recovering from breast cancer - and it helps with hot flashes and you will sleep better. Just got back to working out at 55 and about 20 years off. There are some antidepressants that help with hot flashes and night sweats. Some of my friends also smoke pot at night or do marijuana oils to sleep. The CBD oils can also help. Finding out what works can be a full time job and exhausting. But if you do continue with combination HRT (estrogen and progesterone) be sure to know your risks. If you have a family history of BS - you're BMI is over 26 - you smoke (or have smoked) - or drink more than socially - the word is that you should not take combination hormones. I wish I never did. I use to smoke (quit 5 years ago) - was 15 lbs overweight - and drank a few times a week (5 drinks a week... maybe) and got breast cancer. No family history. There is a lot more information and studies finally being done to help woman face all these issues. Do you have a menopause specialist to go to ? The GYNs that also deliver babies are not who you need to go to (speaking from experience). I know the horrible side of sweats and hot flashes. Not being able to sleep made me finally give in to the HRT. But again - the risk increase is significant (25 - 75% depending on the study) of getting BC. Good luck to you! I wish every woman reading this well.

• Ana Alicea
    5 years ago

I am 65 yo and have been on prempro or some forms since I was 39. I started early menopause at 35 and was completely menopausal at 39 yo. I have tried to wean off the prempro once before and couldn't do it. Last mammogram I was told of some calcification on my breast and again my OBGYN told me to get off prempro. I weaned off it like one day on one day on, two days off one day on, three days off one day on, etc until the seven days of. I am now experiencing some hot flashes, an body aches but I cannot discern the body aches from withdrawal or my fibromyalgia so I have to keep an eye on that - also experiencing fogginess in my brain, and I feel somewhat sluggish. My sleeping not so good either even if I take a Tylenol PM. What's a girl to do!!! I am going to stick it out and stay off of it. I still work so unless the foggy brain affects my job, then I might have to reconsider. I am taking yoga which helps a lot because I am aware of my body and know what is new and what is not. I am not sure you go through withdrawals from getting off prempro or whether it is just the symptoms I would have gotten had I not taken the prempro and experienced menopausal raw. So would like some suggestions on natural sleeping aids and how to continue to keep the brain sharp. The foggy brain bothers me because I lost my mother and older sister to Alzheimer's so that worries me a lot. Stay strong ladies!!!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz