Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Really? I don't remember that! :)

Posted by shaknzmom (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 17, 06 at 19:32

My memory is shot! I've been in meno for 3 years now and it's just getting worse and worse! This past weekend my family and I were leaving the house early for a service project. I rushed everyone around, shoved everyone out the door and into the van and we were off! Ten minutes late, but at least we were on our way. So we had a couple of good discussions, and looked over some paperwork and the newspaper....we get about 45 minutes from home and I look down to discover that I forgot to put my shoes on! I was in my stocking feet! Good grief! How does that happen?? We had to pull over so I could buy some shoes to work in.

My family got a kick out of it...when I told my neighbors they thought I had gone off the deep end...when I told my meno-buddy at work she laughed and said it was something she would do.

What can I do...take...to help with this? I'm not a dumb person, but I feel downright idiotic nowadays! Any ideas??
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Really? I don't remember that! :)

Hi shaknzmom,
Sometimes our forgetfulness makes people laugh....but it's not very funny to us!
Are you on any other medications that might be making it worse? I know my beta blocker has mad me a total idiot.
How about making lists?
I think moms have alot more things on their minds than everyone else, and our minds get full! We have to think of all the little details, and make sure everybody else is taken care of......and it gets a little crazy at times, and doesn't leave us alot of time to think slowly and clearly.
Just make sure you're getting a good multivitamin and eating well. Sleep is important too. And know that you're not alone in this kind of thing!

o

oh yes.... I have gone off with 2 different shoes... Oh jeez, if you can think of it, I have forgotten it. You know, they said on the news the other day that MEDITATION can actually help with memory.... that it IMPROVES memory...
I just keep playing memory games and such.

o

I want to start up meditation again, but I can't imagine not falling asleep, instead of meditating!

o

:D I used to use it for falling asleep during PMS. I keep trying...

o

...I feel downright idiotic nowadays!

I can relate! The Great Indoors (a large home decor store) called a few weeks ago to tell us they found a Daytimer notebook with my name in it. We were last there several months ago and I didn't even realize it was missing, must less that I took it there!!!! I've talked to women who are very intelligent, clear-headed thinkers and they are experiencing the same thing. I've read about women leaving their careers at this point because they just couldn't keep things straight anymore and they felt awful a lot of the time. Whenever I hear about a woman our age who others describe as forgetful or doesn't follow directions, I immediately know why. %-O

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here