Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot flashes, night sweats, anxiety and gagging

Posted by Teresa1962 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 17:39

Please help.....I am 51 and have been going through some horrible menopause symptoms. I have had menstral migrains for many years. Since my periods have been skipping several months, the migraines are not as frequent, but now I am getting horrible hot flashes and night sweats. I have gotten them nightly for a couple weeks now. 4 to 6 per night. The past couple weeks I have been waking up with a gagging sensation. Like something is caught in my throat. Not really nauseous, just gagging. Sometimes lasts all day, and I have no appetite.
Anyone else having the gagging problem? Any ideas to help? I have had anxiety and just feel like my life will never be the same. Have no energy, and just some weird sensations, and tingling, skin crawling, scalp crawling. I think I have all 34 symptoms. Do the night sweats usually happen only during the cycle or would be cycle, or all the time? I am feeling very UNNORMAL. Doctor's only advice was to get on Prozac. Didn't really want to go there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot flashes, night sweats, anxiety and gagging

The gagging could be from what is called "silent reflux"... I didn't even know i had it until i went to the doctor with an ear ache which was also contributed to the reflux. When you are laying down the acid can creep up and then in turn make you cough and gag. I had nausea as well for many years from this and did not even know it. It is quite common in perimenopause as it relates to hormone fluctuations. I take an OTC Zegerid at night for the reflux and it has helped a lot. Also, not eating a few hours before going to bed may help as well. Not sure if this is what you have but it sounds like it to me.

As for night sweats i found that at least 30 minutes of exercise a day, walking or running helped tremendously. It also helps with my anxiety and nervousness that also comes up out of nowhere at times. The only thing getting me through is the thought of making it to the finish line and this being over fairly soon... i hope! Good luck

o

TinaL,
Thanks for your response. I am going to try the OTC Zegerid to see if that helps. This has been going on for a couple weeks, and it is beginning to stress me out. So many symptoms I am suffering from with this Menopause...And I am afraid I may have a time to go. I have been skipping periods 3 months at a time, then I will get one. I guess you are not fully in Menopause until a year has gone by. Some days I wonder how I will make it. Most of the time feel real crappy. I am one who has all the 34 symptoms. LOL Nice to talk with someone who is going through it as well.

o

I went 4 months without a period and really thought i was finally going to make it a full year..well no such luck! My OBGYN told me that this is fairly normal, skipping periods and the GERD/reflux symptoms as well. If we look back i think a lot of what we go through can be related to perimenopause and i think i have been going through it in one way or another for at least 10 years, I am 50 now. Yes, try something like zantac or zegerid before bed and see if it helps.

o

Yes, ditto on the GERD as well making an appearance with menopause.... and terrible anxiety and feelings of dread. I couldn't stand it any longer and had to submit to taking HRT which gets rid of the horrible anxiety.

o

lucy1au: I keep hearing about HRT but i am not sure what it is..could you explain? I also get the feeling of doom and anxiety so it may be something i could look into.

o

Hi can't help with the reflux but certainly can help with anxiety. i went through menopause once after 3 bad years then I started to feel better when my doc suggested using HRT to get rid of anxiety and insomnia, well after 6 weeks on Activella I started to have depression for half a day and then it would ease so she put me on an anti dep. After a year I started to gain weight, my blood pressure went up and I had 2 retinal haemorrages so decided to qui cold turkey. Took 3 months of hell before I feel I'm starting to come out the other side. Be careful of HRT, it agrees with some people but not all!

o

Hi Tina,

HRT is hormone replacement therapy, taking a small dose of estrogen/progesterone in the form of a pill or a patch.

I also wanted to add that I had the gagging feeling when asleep at the early stages.. it was like the roof of my mouth lost tone.. but then it improved. I was snoring alot as well.. this also subsided. The ear ringing (tinnitus) also makde an appearance at that time as well.

This post was edited by lucy1au on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 3:36

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here