SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phyldelux

Aches when getting out of bed, or after sitting

phyldelux
15 years ago

I have been wondering if the following is a symptom of menonpause. I am hunched over when I get up in the morning for about 30 seconds. I walk like I am 100 years old. By the way, I am a very young 52! Also, my legs and ache when I get up after sitting for a while. I keep searching the Internet, but I haven't found a ddefinitive answer yet. I feel my symptoms are too vague for a medical professional. A doctor would have to start putting me through "G-d only knows how many and what kind of tests!" I need to hear from others wh share my symptoms. I am definnitely in menopause. I have had the blood test to confirm and on top of that, I have about 20 hot flashes a day. I just need to know for sure that these aches are related to menopause, not "G-d forbid" bone cancer or something!

Comments (211)

• mzdee
    7 years ago

I use zyflamend. I get it on amazon. There are less expensive versions that work just as well. Honestly I was a better predicter of rain than the weather man before I incorporated this. Tip is use the advil etc until the pain eases and then seriously start the supplement e.g. daily .

• megger919
    7 years ago
    Hi
  • Related Discussions

Pictures:Brick House, Bare Beds,Old Shrubs: Keep or Get Out Saw?

Q

Comments (6)
    The logical place for the mailbox, to my mind, would be hanging on the wall next to the front door -- but that's the way it was for most of the many houses I grew up in. But do check to make sure that a new location is allowed. If you have to put it somewhere away from the front door, consider a brick pillar that surrounds a utilitarian plastic or metal box (I like the idea but I think I wouldn't want it in front of your house). Many pictures here: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1020&bih=832&q=mailbox+brick&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= You might also see what you can find in the way of old-style mailboxes. Home renovation stores? Antique shops? Estate sales or auctions? Junkyards? tibs makes a good point about possible bulbs. It would be interesting to know what shrubs and plants the previous owners removed; a neighbor with a loved-looking garden might be able to tell you. Did the PO's take the plants with them or merely tear them out? If the latter, I'd assume that either the plants were in poor shape, required more maintenance to look good than the PO's could handle (for whatever reason), or that there were large shrubs that blocked the view of the house and someone decided the house would be more likely to sell without the landscaping. Then again, there's that huge bed full of mulch. Could be bulbs ... could be lots of bulbs....
    ...See More

Mower won't start after sitting

Q

Comments (10)
    You need to refine your use of the terms 'crank' and 'turn over'. They both mean the same thing, to turn the engine in an attempt to start it. This could be by manual pull starter or electric motor. The engine may 'crank' or 'turn over' with out starting, which could indicate one set of problems, or not 'crank', which would be something else altogether. As near as I can tell, the engine is not getting fuel, or not getting good fuel. You need to drain and discard any gas left in the mower/tank/carburetor and put fresh new fuel in. To this fuel add half a bottle of auto fuel injection cleaner. If you crank it some every day, you will pull the new treated fuel through which eventually will run the mower.
    ...See More

Oh my aching back

Q

Comments (7)
    You're so lucky to get help. I do most of it myself or it doesn't get done. I'd kill for help in the spring & fall. My DH works out of town so he's gone Mon through Fri. He does a little garden work if I ask him but the poor guy deserves a break too. He & I will probably be the ones bringing in all the plants. My oldest daughter has 3 kids & it's more work when they help. Youngest daughter is moving to CA tomorrow. One son is gone all the time & the other one thinks the brugs are a stupid waste of time since you can't eat them. One of his friends stole a pod from my Datura a couple years ago & ate it (don't know how much). They said he was talking to the toaster & his parents took him to the emergency room where they kept him overnight. He's fine but it scared the crap out of the rest of them. I think it sunk in & his experience taught them a lesson. I read him the riot act when he came back since I had warned them to leave them alone & I threatened to pull all my other pretty poisonous plants before they tried to eat something else. It was a couple years ago & I haven't had a problem with them since. Linda
    ...See More

Cleaning out beds, getting ready for spring,WEEDS!

Q

Comments (1)
    Depends on you plant spacing, you could use a weed barrier but when you get done, you probably wished you pulled weeds. Costco has it in the spring. Grey in color. Compost might be good to mix in with your existing soil, make the soil more friable, easier to pull weeds. What kind of mulch did you bring in the had different kinds of weeds? Chipper mulch might be the best kind, 2" deep, should keep the weeds down. Call an arborist and see if they are trimming trees in your area, it could be cheaper then buying bags at a big box. Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials
    ...See More
  • megger919
    7 years ago
    I just came across this thread and wanted to give an opinion on what I think your diagnoses could be. Check out polymyalgia rheumatica....PMR ..It is very common and is diagnosed mostly in women after the age of 50. The pain is severe. If you sit down or lie down you feel like you gel in place and it's hard to get up. I rheumatologist would take care of this problem. You would need certain blood test to confirm. The treatment is prednisone and the relief is dramatic. Do you want to stay in his lower does his prednisone as possible if that's what you have and it usually resolves itself in 1 to 3 years. Good luck
  • Catherine Mesa
    7 years ago

I am older, 71. I went through a lot of pain, sciatica, arm, shoulder, leg, back, etc. during my 50s and 60s. Started taking Synthroid and it worked for a while but after a few years I went into real pain all over my body...and stiffness....couldn't turn my head to look behind me. When I finally fought for Armour Thyroid, that finally leveled me out and the pain and stiffness went away. I have always been active...hiking, walking, horseback riding, scuba diving, etc, etc. but recently I have had knee issues and thought I was going to have to have replacements....everything from the waist down hurts now. Back, upper, lower legs, knees, sometimes feet. Very crippled. This has been going on for a few years now and I have been going to chiropractors and physical therapy as well as exercising, etc. Recently it got so bad that I went to an orthopedic surgeon and sure enough, both of my knees were bone on bone on the inside (lots of space on the outside of the knees). In the meantime, I went to a recommended chiropractor for my back but he turned out to practice NeuroSomo instead (muscle/nerve manipulation). I am still not 100% by any means (bend over in pain when I get up from the chair or bed, not able to go for any walks, can't stand for any period of time) but I am much better. To illustrate how much better, the most recent x-rays show a space between the inside of both knees now! The theory is that if your muscles get contracted and won't give up the contraction, they pull your bones/nerves out of alignment and you experience pain. Horseback riding, miles of posting in the hills at a rapid trot, could cause those contractions in my inside thighs...it seems to make sense and it seems to be working. I am having him also work on my back (looks like Cauda Equina Syndrome) and left hip also now. It surely is a trek to get better and we have to be our own sleuths. Doctors are limited by their little branch of knowledge that takes all their mental time and energy to keep up with. Many of them are blinded by that knowledge and won't branch into other fields either. We have to do that. I also have a very wonderful naturapathic doctor that I have found. Love him. Blessings and successful hunting ladies. It is interesting to find others with the same symptoms that I have and have had.

• willowmead27
    7 years ago

I have just Googled joint/muscle pain when sitting and found you guys! It is SO good to know I am not alone.

It has been going on now for a couple of years, ever since I hit menopause (or should that be when menopause hit me!) It seems like every bump, bruise or injury has come back to haunt me. It started with my neck, back and right shoulder (horse riding injuries and over-doing the heavy gardening). But recently it would be easier to say what joint ISN'T bothering me.

I have not had a complete night's sleep in over 2 years. I get comfy, then something starts hurting. When I wake I can't get out of bed. When I do my feet won't work and my hands are like a bunch of bananas. My doctor is a total waste of space.

I have been slowly putting on the pounds until last Christmas when I weighed 13 stone (182lb). We have never had a bad diet but in the New Year my OH and I stopped eating any processed food, cut out sugar, cut back on bread and pastries. We eat more veg, fruit, fish and grass fed meat and dairy. We take Vit's D3, B3 and K2, Magnesium and Omega 3. I take Cat's Claw and Devil's Claw and Sage leaf. I have lost 22lbs and most of the meno problems have gone (or lessened). We should be on top of the world.

But the joints/muscles, good grief they are bad and getting worse. Now I suppose I could put it down to menopausal arthritis - or something similar but here is the 'kicker' - my husband is suffering in a very similar way! His problems started in his right hip, but is spreading out in all directions - we wouldn't make a whole one between us!

So anyone out there know WTF is going on? Help, please.

• lucy1au
    7 years ago

yep, he's going through the male menopause! my husband also goes through similar things to me... all except the hot flashes!

• melaniedale2
    6 years ago

I've had some of the same symptoms as you, and I'm a fit 58. I discovered that the problem stems from my psoas muscle and anterior pelvic tilt. You can learn more about it from YouTube. There are even a few books about the psoas muscle. Do the exercises, strengthen your core, find a sports medicine doctor...and you may have a new lease on life.

• dawntreader5
    6 years ago

melaniedale2 Thank you for this comment about the psoas muscle and anterior pelvic tilt. I'm educating myself about it now and plan to have my hubby read the info too.

As for most of our aches and pains...we're just getting old and must expect some of it. Certainly do all you can to keep moving though. My grandma used to stretch and do some gentle warm up exercises before she even stepped foot out of bed in the morning. I think that is a great idea. As we age we cannot expect to hit the ground running anymore. 6 months ago, I had a hysterectomy (kept ovaries) and found my body has suddenly seized up and it takes DAILY stretching to stay flexible enough to function. I've started doing some Tai Chi (though I don't agree with "letting the chi out my fingertips) and have found it helpful. After the first time through the video, I muted it and played my own music.

I've also discovered "chair exercises". My f-in-law needed some gentle exercising and I started doing videos with him. It's great stuff even with the 30+ year age difference. Check your local library for some videos to try out before buying. :D (Sit and Be Fit, Stronger Seniors, Scott Cole Tai Chi for Balance and Mobility, Leslie Sansone walking videos)

• ziggi10
    6 years ago

I know not everyone suffering from the pains is a gardener but I do wonder if the various pains could be related to Lyme?

• Susan Horner
    6 years ago

I have been going through the same issues as all of you. I am 56, going through menopause, and for the past 5 months I have been dealing with aches in my legs. At first I thought it was from lack of use because I wasn't doing my 2 mile walks in the winter. But I started exercising with no results. I still exercise and do my walks now, and continue to have pain. Some days are better than others, but haven't been able to pin point why. Just today I was thinking maybe it could possibly be a dietary thing, and i'm considering keeping track of what i eat, and how much exercise i do each day, including things like yard work. I hate struggling to get out of the car, or to get back up from a kneeling position. I have never been overweight and have always been an active person. I will continue to push myself no matter how much it hurts. To give up would be admitting defeat. I will try some of the suggestions that I found on here, and will post back if anything improves. I is really good to know that i am not alone in this, and maybe between us we will discover a cure for it.

• J Friday
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am 41 and I have been suffering from joint pain and swelling in my hands and feet for more than six years. After having my last child, I was 40 lbs over weight, which made the pain much worse. I got carpel tunnel with pregnancy and had surgery, which just resulted in a different kind of pain. About there years ago I changed my diet and started exercising. I lost 40 lbs. I feel better, but still have swelling and joint pain. If I sit for more than five minutes, I can barely walk when I get up. Two years ago I started to have severe stiffness and pain in the neck. I've had an MRI which resulted in nothing. Doctors just wanted to put me on muscle relaxers. I want the problem fixed and I can't work with my head in the clouds all day. When looking up signs and symptoms, it can be anything; fibromyalgia, lupus, lime disease, gout, arthritis, etc. I'm tired of feeling like this.

• sylvieta2013
    6 years ago
    • I can't believe how many women are in pain!! and why is it so hard for doctors to figure out what is wrong with our pain. I am 56 years old I started having pain during my perimenopause period, i though I was having a nervous breakdown...I was only 45 years old at the time. I am still in pain today mostly in the sacroiliac joint area now....I started lifting weight last yeat because my muscle were so weak i had no energy I had to do something even if I was in a lot of pain. My neck and shoulder were so strain at the time. Today I can say that lifting weight has help me with the shoulder part and I am not so stiff overall but my sacroiliac joint are shut... I am still working on a solution for this, I walk everyday 20 mins and it helps but I can days were I cannot function and I crash for 2 days...I am gonna try the fish oil and MSN suplement...at this point I think I will try anything to get better. Also what has help my energy level a lot since last year along with my walking and lifting weight not too heavy weight...is the supplement call Restorative Formulation Adrenal PX Balance ... this supplement is what make it possible for me to regain energy so I could go to the gym and also has help my digestive issues, also help with anxiety......I wish you all ladies the best and if I come across a breakthrough I will come back and share with you my finding. The best to you all
  • glojhern
    6 years ago

I thought that too bone cancer but it is vitamin D deficiency.

• tonyabrooks306
    6 years ago

Count another one that feels like I have been beaten when I wake up. It seems worse after I dream, too. Exhausted and aching all over. I think sleep apnea can contribute to this. My doc wanted me to do the sleep test, but I just do not want to sleep hooked up to a machine. Ugh.

• mzdee
    6 years ago

Tonya, the masks are quite small. I have several friends who use them. They all have wonderful things to say about the results. Sleep apnea can lead to strokes and even death. I encourage you to do the test.

• e_nandini
    6 years ago

I have been taking Nature Made's calcium, zinc and magnesium with Vitamin D for the past 6 months and feel that this is helping me with my pains.

• kelly_l67
    6 years ago

Try giving up sugar. 100% white sugar elimination, even hidden sources, and I no longer walk like I am 100. if I get into sugar again, the next morning I wake up sore and stiff again which goes away as soon as i get the white refined sugar out again. Use raw honey instead. raw is an important key word too. refined honey is refined sugar.

• tonyabrooks306
    6 years ago

I cannot give up my sugar. I am way too addicted and tried it once with catastrophic results. I guess I will just have to ache.

• willowmead27
    6 years ago

Don't give up giving up! I used to take sugar in tea and coffee. I reduced the amount, first in tea and then coffee until I can't drink them now if they HAVE sugar.

Just a little at a time. If you must take sugar try raw cane sugar. At least it has a few nutrients left. Same with honey (raw only, anything else is just liquid sugar) and good quality maple syrup. Just a little in recipes that call for sugar, works very well.

Before you know it you'll find the processed white stuff way too sweet.

• katebert
    6 years ago

I am so happy that I found this thread! I'm rather shocked to see how many years it has continued, but I am so glad it did! I feel optimistic that I can find some remedy for my joint and *mostly* muscle stiffness when I try to move after being inactive.

Like many of you, I hit menopause and felt like my body seized up. I'm only 51, and I walk like a little old lady when I get up from a chair. Once I get moving, I'm usually pretty good, but my body has to be stretched in every direction before I can move normally.

Also, I have had a nagging lower back problem for years that I couldn't pinpoint. When I read melaniedale2's post about the psoas muscle, I pulled up a search on it, and light bulbs went off the second I saw where that muscle runs. It explains everything about my lower back and left hip tightness. Thank you, melaniedale2!

And thanks to all of you for sharing and for your suggestions! I will try the easiest things first - yoga, vitamins, cutting out sugar. Well, that last one won't be easy, but it's far easier than dealing with doctors and tests and meds.

All the best to everyone!

• krystyz
    6 years ago

Hi...I started reading this thread at the top and just realized it started nearly ten years ago. I am glad to know I am not alone and the saddest part about this is that so many of us have these same very painful symptoms and there is no new information. My pain started in my forties but I chalked it up to landscaping around my home. Someone in one of the earlier posts mentioned that what we all had in common is that we are gardeners. I am 57 now and just this year I came down with some of the most painful aching joints. Coincidentally it happened after getting stuck with a rose thorn when I was pruning them. My finger swelled to 3 x it's size and I has to lance it to drain since after I pulled the thorn out it closed up before I could treat it properly. I googled to try and find a remedy for the swelling and came across this disease called "gardeners disease" and it causes all of these symptoms everyone here is experiencing. I also believe it is partly due to menopause but not to this extent. The article said that it was due to a mold spore that infects the blood and travels to the joint and could be deadly...but there is no real cure since most people do not know of this and they usually get misdiagnosed...also there are other mold spores in the soil as well as some of the organic bagged soils so you have to wear gloves..I was not very good at wearing gloves and would just dive into all my projects bare handed. Now it seems to have taken a toll. I can hardly get out of bed I wake up with sciatic pain in the back , my hips feel like someone is drilling through them and my legs feel like someone beat me with a bat. My knees hurt so bad just no words...and my neck and shoulders hurt all the time. Years ago my doc told me it was fibromyalgia but I just think that they use that as a catch all for any female complaints, he wanted to put me on anti depressants but I wasn't depressed I needed to know what it was. He sent me to an orthopedic then to PT...NOTHING HELPED...so I live with it bc I am so afraid of all these pharmaceuticals that have more side effects then the pain. I think this is a disease caused by this mold spore and scientists and researchers need to start looking into this more. I mean kids play in the garden too so it can affect the little ones as well....good luck to everyone here and hope your pain goes away. I will check back to see if anyone has any thoughts.

• willowmead27
    6 years ago

Wow, I didn't write that - but I could have!! I'd never have thought of that. I keep up with my tetanus shots and usually wear gloves for everything bar seed sowing. I am very aware of which plants are poisonous or irritant and of the miriad bacteria, good and bad. I know in theory about moulds but how the blazes do you avoid them, they're EVERYWHERE! To think that my raison d'etre is responsible for the way I am. Will I give up gardening? Neh!

• willowmead27
    6 years ago

Just looked it up, rose gardener's disease - Sporotrichosis. Had plenty of scratches and thorns, but no lesions, so perhaps it is just a mix of doing too much heavy work and the menopause? Hope you find some relief from this krystyz.

• ka7nyc
    6 years ago

I was searching my symptoms and came across this thread as well. So glad to have found you all. Im 38 and as far as I know im not yet peri menopausal. I to have horrible stiffness if im off of my feet for even a few minutes. And in the morning, getting out of bed...i hobble to the bathroom. The stiffness/soreness is terrible. This has been going on for months now, its just in the lower portion of my legs n feet. Five months ago I stopped taking ibuprofen for my headaches and started making fresh turmeric tea to treat my headaches and monthly cramps. That is the only change ive made recently and am wondering if there's any connection. Im also curious as to what your diets are. Im a vegetarian and have been for more than 20yrs i also dont drink milk...maybe it can be some sort of deficiency? I saw that a lot of you suggest vit D, magnesium n calcium? Do any of you have similar diets? I wish all of you luck in finding what is ailing you!

• bonsall10
    6 years ago

I also was searching my symptoms in the hope of understanding what condition i have and how to remedy it.Im 59 postmenopausal, over the last year I struggle to do the daily things which I used to do, without any effort. I struggle to get to sleep with irritable feet.When i get up in the mornint im so stiff i walk like a penguin, then after 5mins I am ok. When i sit down then get up the same symtons,my feet are painful to walk on, my foot and ankle ligaments are weekened, right ankle swollen at the moment. My whole body aches and everything I do is measured, as I am less mobile at the same time I am working 2 part time jobs. I find it very frustrating, im not vitamin D deficient as I am out in the sun light each day. Its amazing to read so many people with very similar symtoms, I am not alone or for that fact I am not imagining it.

• willowmead27
    6 years ago

Ooh, I know just what you mean, miserable isn't it. I would say however, that just because you are outside a lot doesn't mean you are OK for Vit D. I am a gardener and out whenever I can be. But you need to expose more than your face and forearms to get enough sun to make Vit D. The RDA is woefully short of what it should be. Get some Vit D down you girl, Magnesium should help too!

• krystyz
    6 years ago
    • well, I just checked in and see some new posts here. I have to say I took someone's advice and started taking 1200 mg of purified fish oil-one a day after a meal and a glass of lemon water...theres no fishy aftertaste at all..After a week my pains were cut in half and I felt much better. I am a pretty good eater nutritiously. I don't drink enough water, that I know. I used to be vegetarian in my early years in college just when the craze started but had to stop because I was diagnosed with a huge vitamin B deficiency and anemia to the point I was fainting. I sometimes wonder if that was why I felt so much pain in my feet and joints in menopause having that deficiency. I now am on a fresh food diet and soft proteins. Hardly ever do I eat red meat though unless its a good homemade burger...or a filet. I feel so much better and lighter. Overdoing it in my early years trying to be superwoman and all then having kids and a family and working full time all took its toll. I think my resistance was way down and from my research on arthritis, which I think we all have at this age, I have realized that I probably contributed to it as well since I used to bike and spin 10 miles a day before it was even popular to do so. I used to swim, hike and walk everywhere. Geez I think I wore my own poor bones out. Once that all slowed down I turned to gardening and ran into other yardly dangers that affected my skeletal and muscular system to the point of immobilizing me. It was beyond any normal pain I ever heard of anyone complain about. I went to many doctors and thought I must have MS or some other horrible disease but everything kept coming back negative. It was my immune system. The fish oil really helped boost that for me. I think if we can just keep our immunity up we will all survive this. Good luck to you all and try the fish oil -it really works! Now I know why they gave us kids cod liver oil back in the day. I know some of the grannys are still alive today and they are in their 90s and active mentally and physically. Thanks to the poster who suggested it!
  • gayleba
    6 years ago

I check in here every so often to see if anyone has found any answers. Been reading this for about 3 years. I could write 75% of the above posts. Recently I had a startling discovery. For very non - related reasons I started the Whole30 diet. It's only for 30 days so I figured I could do it. I didn't realize until about a week into it that it is an elimination diet. On day 6 or 7 I was reading a testimony of a lady who had fibromialgia for 25 years and after going on this diet she had not an ounce of pain. At that point, as I was reading, I realized that my pain level wasn't anything like it had been. By 2 more days it was gone! ALL of it! Including the plantar fasciitus ! I decided to do a second Whole30 and I am now 6 weeks into this and still NO pain! And my energy has nearly doubled. I'm 57 and I feel 10 years younger. I hope this helps somebody. Just Google Whole30 if you are interested in the diet. It's simple to follow and you are never hungry! Oh, I forgot to mention! I'm down 18 pounds too, so far. ....without trying! It's soooo worth it!

• willowmead27
    6 years ago

Thanks I'll look into that. There comes a point when you will try ANYTHING!

• anna_in_quebec
    6 years ago

I shared my first post here back in 2006 I think. It has become worse and worse. I turn 59 this September, and when rising from bed I feel 90 years old - it feels so bad, to the point I tear up. Sometimes, in a restaurant, I fear I will not be able to get out of my chair. This summer, as an avid gardener, I did almost nothing which has depressed me so much. I too am willing to try anything. Those close to me are tired of hearing me moan and talk about my pain, telling to go do something about it, as if there is a quick fix, or a minor op to "cure" it. That is maybe the most depressing.

• lucy1au
    6 years ago

Anna try high levels of Evening Primrose or Borage Oil. These both have high levels of GLA. Some folks have a hard time making omega 6 from animal sources such as fish oil which help many people. I take several capsules a day, say 5 x 3 times per day at least with big positive changes.

• anna_in_quebec
    6 years ago

I have tried before, but maybe will again. Am now on vegan glucosamine, silica, flaxseed oil, turmeric...oily stuff can give me problems as I have a dodgy system, always have since childhood. Thanks Lucy.

• anna_in_quebec
    6 years ago

I looked up reviews of Whole30, and many say it is a "totally misguided approach to healthy eating", and "ranked the worst fad diet", especially promoting red meat which studies have shown is not that good for you, and the "worst diet you could do". Reviews from reputable sites btw. Anyway, as they say YMMV (your mileage may vary). This is very good to read: Whole30 review. A well-balanced analysis.

• anna_in_quebec
    6 years ago

She concludes with this, if you want the bottom line: I’m sure there are plenty of folks that could benefit from a month without alcohol. Bottom Line: If you want to purge your diet of everything remotely impure for 30 days, do just that! But don’t exclude wholesome plant foods, like whole grains or beans.

You wouldn’t get open-heart surgery from an auto mechanic, so why would you follow nutrition advice from someone with zero education or training? While one of the Whole30 cofounders might be a “sports nutritionist,” all that’s required for that designation is to pass one test. No nutrition degree (or even nutrition classes), no supervised practice, and no accredited internship required. The startling nutrition deficiencies in this program are all the more reason to seek nutrition advice from a trained nutrition professional, like a registered dietitian.

• willowmead27
    6 years ago

While I agree on the whole with what you say - if my husband had listened to the dietician he would be living on wholemeal toast and low fat spread! A Nutritionist is a much better bet than a Dietician.

• katebert
    6 years ago

In the hopes that this information is helpful, I thought I'd provide an update for you. A couple of months ago I said I would try yoga, vitamins and cutting out sugar. While I'm not 100% pain free, I would say my pain has diminished by about 2/3.

I started taking a liquid calcium/magnesium/Vitamin D supplement. I try to take it twice a day - morning and evening - after walks.

I doubled my daily walking (which isn't easy with a busy schedule). I walk about 2-4 miles per day now.

I looked up exercises to strengthen my psoas muscle, and that has been soooooo helpful! When I do at-home yoga daily for about 3 days in a row, I feel wonderful. That's way easier said than done, though. Again, with busy schedules and my tendency to be lazy, it's hard to make myself do daily yoga. And the yoga I do is very kind to my body. I started out with really wimpy moves but have grown stronger.

When I go for 3 days without sugar, I do feel better, yet my sweet tooth hasn't released me from its grip, so I have no idea how much better I might feel if I eliminated sugar. I'm failing in that endeavor.

Anyway, so far I am doing better, and I don't know if it's the supplements, the exercise, the yoga or the lower amounts of sugar or a combination of all of them. I still wake up in the mornings a little stiff, but I've found that if I very slowly move into various poses to stretch my muscles, I'm in decent shape. If I feel stiffness coming on during the day, I stop and stretch as best I can in the environment I'm in. That's not always an easy option, but when I can spend a couple of minutes on focused stretching, it really helps.

Hot flashes haven't diminished, though. I still ignite randomly throughout the day and night. But at least I no longer have to hobble into the kitchen to get some ice water.

Good luck to all of you!! I hope you find relief!

• willowmead27
    6 years ago

That's good to hear. I thought I was winning the battle but I have a new pain in my shoulder now and that one is almost constant. It's fine if I don't do anything, but how likely is that!

Pleased to hear someone is improving.

• dedethings
    6 years ago

I have these symptoms also, achy hands and feet, ankles, knees, etc....after waking in the mornings and after sitting for awhile. The common denominator here for most of us (after reading your comments) seems to be menopausal or post-menopausal (which is the category for me). I have one other theory that no one else has mentioned. I do have a lot of seasonal allergies and not just in spring. There is usually something going on during each season that gives me flare-ups. I wonder if allergies can cause these symptoms. Anyone else have allergies and think there could possibly be a link to our aches?

• lucy1au
    6 years ago

Hi Anna,

Intersetingly, years ago, a nurse told me to take evening primrose for my hot flushes which went on day and night. She told me to take alot of it suggesting I think 6 capsules a day. Anyway, it did nothing at all for my flushes. This time around, I started taking it for my dry skin but have noticed that I am much more supple and depression/anxiety lifted almost immediately.

• lorih421
    6 years ago

I too have been suffering with stiff hands/feet in the morning, foot pain after sitting, occasional hip pain,posterior knee pain, and feeling like I'm 100 years old when trying to walk in the morning. I'm 56, post-menopausal (one year), and stopped the BC pill and HRT last year. I began to experience hair thinning and fallout around 50yrs old, but in general was feeling great until a few months ago when night time hot flashes and this crazy joint pain thing started. I also have pain in the hamstring area. I thought it was due to my yoga teacher training program - doing too many Down Dogs and holding poses, but after finding this site perhaps it's also due to this menopause thing. Feeling depressed, gained 15 pounds in 1 1/2 years. Went to a Functional Medicine doc last week. I will be starting an Autoimmune Diet tomorrow - low sugar, grains, no gluten/dairy. Im freaking out on cutting out sugar but I'm going to give it a go. May add MSM to help joints and depression, and will definitely try Flax oil/ground seeds and a collage supplement. I already take, D3, magnesium, Tumeric, B's, and Omega 3's. I'll report back in 6 weeks. Peace and good health to all of you.

Oh and yes dedethings, I suffer from allergies all year round and food sensitivities.

• tonyabrooks306
    6 years ago

I am 47 and when I wake up in the mornings, I can FEEL every joint/bone in my body ache. My fingers are stiff and it hurts to move. For the past few months, my right hip has felt like someone tearing it from its socket. My maternal grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis and I am wondering if I do too. I used to have random attacks where a joint would swell up and burn and hurt for weeks on end. Sigh. Getting old hurts.

• lucy1au
    6 years ago

Hi Tonya. Yes, there is such a thing known as menopause arthritis as well, so you may want to look it up to reassure yourself. I also had arthritis come on very quickly in hips, fingers, lower back, starting around 46 as part of my menopause, also became quite weak in core and leg muscles. I take alot of magnesium and MSM (sulphur). The MSM really helps the arthritis.

• lorih421
    6 years ago

How much MSM do you take, Lucy? And how long did it take for you to get some relief? I haven't had too much luck with dietary restrictions during the holiday but I'm gluten free, dairy free, and nightshade free as of the first of the year and today I ditched sugar as well. Looking to add a supplement in addition to turmeric and fish that I take.

Lori

• lucy1au
    6 years ago

Hi Lori. The recommendation is to start slowly and build up depending on tolerance as it is a detoxifier and can cause detox effects (not feeling well initially but then better as time proceeds). MSM is available in tablet or caps as well as pure powder. The powder is cheaper. The powder doesn't taste so great, so I have caps when I don't feel like having the powder. Some people take up to 3 table spoons a day. MSM is known to keep people awake, (me as well) so take in the morning. Maybe start with 2 tabs (1500mg each) and work up. I'm taking about 6 tabs 2 times a day. Best of luck to you. I noticed changes within a week. My back loosened up alot and more energy :) They say to take with Vit C.

• lorih421
    6 years ago

Thanks!

• User
    5 years ago

I just found this site looking for why my legs and feet hurt when I stand and walk. I just turned 65 but have been in this pain (they say fibromyalgia) after several car accidents - I use to drive for a living - worked on machines and computers. I also moved into a house that needed a lot of repair. But it seems like the pain just keeps getting worse - I have been tested and tested and they say all the blood test - they all come back normal! I keep trying every supplement that people suggest or what I can find on the internet. I have been dealing with this well over 15 yrs and in the last 4 it is so bad I cannot walk my dogs even. It is so not fair for them. I have started to try CBD - some days it works well - They had me on so many opiods and muscle relaxers it was ridiculous and I wont take anymore. To be able to be me again would be such a blessing!

• Susan Horner
    5 years ago

Try googling Polymyalgia rheumatica, PMR. I choose not to take the drug that the doctors prescribe for it. I found that CBD oil works great. I joined two Facebook groups that helped me deal with this disease. Surviving polymyalgia rheumatica without prednisone, and the CBD oil users group. Plenty of great information in both groups. I still have some discomfort, but I have my life back and i’m so glad I didn’t fall into the prednisone trap.

• User
    5 years ago

Thank you - they had me on prednisone for a different issue and it told them if they did not take me off - I would get it off it by myself. They finally agreed - I won't do that again. Thank you so much for your info - I will try it. I have been taking CBD oil - so expensive. But I am trying to find the right one. I will also look u that disease. Thank you again for the information.

• weave1
    5 years ago

I found that Bag Balm helped the pain in my heel. About a month ago, my right heel started hurting so much it was so painful to walk. I started wearing arch supports, etc, which helped some. I remembered that LaLeche had advised using Bag Balm for inflammation. After using that for 3 days, I don’t have any pain. It may not work for every one and some people don’t like the smell, but I will tolerate the smell to be pain free.

• lorih421
    5 years ago

Just an update from my January 2018 comment. I found a book about b6 and its benefits for menopausal arthritis, trigger finger and carpal tunnel syndrome by Dr. Ellis. It is out of print but I was able to get it on Amazon. He recommends p5p B6 50 mg 2 to 3 times per day. It was like a miracle for me. Within 3 to 4 weeks my joint and muscle pain in my body is totally gone. I'm also taking it for trigger finger that I have developed recently as well but still waiting for results there. For foot and heel pain I have used the exercises online for plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis. That resolved those issues within a few months. I also don't walk barefoot anymore and I wear some type of a cushioned type shoe even in the house. Good luck to you all!

Sponsored
Jewel Marie Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia