Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tired of folks and doctors saying 'Its Just Menopause'

Posted by valeriecrafty (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 08 at 11:22

Hi I just turned 48 and have been have mild symptoms of menopause for about 5yrs......but in the last 10 months they have gotten much worse......the adrenal rushes scared the crap out of me and the on and off again "lows" come more often....I have never been to so many doctors in my whole life that I have been to in the last 6 months...but they all do tests and say you are fine and its just the start of menopause...ugh....I cant take anti depression meds because they make me worse (not that I wanted to take them but my doc said they would make me feel better) which they made me want to jump at a window....there are so many symptoms involed with menopause that I just dont think people or docs understand....I was a stress free,handle all problems person til this year...now I cant watch tv without getting that sick feeling in my stomach (which isnt an ulcer)..lol..I think that I have been tested for everything...coz I just want an answer....but I guess "its just menopause"..lol...so I cant eat sweets, drink coffee or wine, eat spicy foods or get too exicted....gee..maybe I should stay in bed...I work night shift so I dont know if this makes things worse but I love the shift and dont want to change it...sorry to go on and on needed to vent...Valerie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tired of folks and doctors saying 'Its Just Menopause'

Hi Valerie,

I want to scream when I hear of doctors prescribing anti-depression meds for menopause. WE are not depressed. WE are in menopause. It is a real and physical thing going on in our bodies. And we DESERVE to feel good, be sexual and enjoy life.

That's why I recommend women to see a female doctor that specializes is menopause and bioidentical hormones. They saved my life! There are different types of delivery: patches, gels, creams and pellets. I have the pellets because I believe they work the best after trying the others.

Testosterone pills are available, and estrogen/Testosterone combination pills are also available (Estratest). Testosterone in oral form, however, does not seem to be very effective. Testosterone cream is available, but again, is not as effective.

Timed-release testosterone pellets seem to achieve the best results, and are simple to place under the skin of the buttocks.

njw

o

I am so thankful I found this site!!...It makes me feel so much better to share with you all.....I still am having problems getting up in the morning (just not wanting to get out of bed)...but feel better that Im not alone in this whole "journey".......thanks to all for being there.

Hugs to u all

o
back to doctor tomorrow

I am once again going back to doctor tomorrow..Yesterday was a bad day....even cried alot which I dont usually do...I just hate the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach all the time.....I have also decided to stop the fight with the Im not taking any meds......I got a script for xanax last week but didnt want to take it,,,,but when I woke up at 2am I took one 25mg,,,and really didnt have a problem getting out of bed this morning and was good til about 11am...when the doom and gloom feeling came back and I called for an appointment..I have also starting walking every evening and exercising but I think I just need something to get me through....I just dont know what to do anymore........sorry to vent so much...

o

VALERIE -I AM ALSO GOING THRU A LONG PERIOD OF SICKNESS NAUSEA ,FLUSHING ,DIZZINESS.SWEATS ,ANDRENALINE RUSH .I HAVE BEEN SICK SINCE DECEMBER .BY MARCH IT WAS SO BAD I HAD TO GO OUT ON DISABILTY . BEEN TESTED FOR A THOUSAND THINGS NOTHING ONLY THING FOUND WAS LOW ESTROGEN .COULDN'T CONVINCE MY GYN THAT ALL THESE SYPTOMS ARE PART OF MENOPAUSE .I AM GLAD I WENT INTO THIS SITE TODAY IT MADE ME FEEL ALOT BETTER TO SEE OTHER PEOPLE ARE HAVING ALL DIFFERENT TYPES OF SYMPTOMS.
YESTERDAY I WAS AT MY PRIMARY DOCTOR HE WAS LIKE WE CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU IT HAS TO BE IN YOUR HEAD SO HE WAS GOING TO GIVE ME AN ANTI DEPRESSANT.I SAID NO WAY . # I WOULD RATHER BE EVALUATED BY A SHRINK. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS EVERYTIME A DOCTOR CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ESPECALLY IF YOU ARE A WOMAN . BE CAREFUL OF THE ANTI DEPRESSANT.FIND A DOCTOR THAT SPECIALIZES IN MENOPAUSE .BELEIVE ME YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE GOING THRU THIS .

IT GREAT TO BE ABLE TO VENT .THAT IS WHAT THE WEB SITE IS FOR

o

Regarding the anti-depressants, I failed at two before trying the lowest dose available of Prozac. It is approved as a treatment for PMS and they even gave it a different name (do a search of Sarafem) because the name Prozac comes with so much baggage. Prozac takes 20 days to build up and have an effect, so you have to be patient. After 3 weeks I find I no longer have the terrible hopeless feelings I used to get in the morning. It is also supposed to be one of the easiest antidepressants to discontinue because it leaves your system slowly. In rationalizing my choice to take a drug that affects my brain chemistry I only had to think of all the other drugs that I take without a second thought: Caffeine, alcohol, cough medicines etc. etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here