Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about the mind

Posted by carla17 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 11:15

I need to know that I'm not losing it completely. I've had two major changes in my life within the last 6 months. The first was a hip replacement but after I journeyed into menopause, it seems like my mind is scattered and not the same. Do any of you experience this?
I read that learning a second language will strenghen your mind so I may do that.

Thanks,
Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about the mind

Yeah... don't worry, you aren't alone at all in this... learning ANYTHING will strengthen the mind. I saw this on tv the other day. I play memory games, anything you do will help. I also saw on the news the other day that MEDITATION is supposed to help a lot on memory improvement. It is very embarrassing to be scatterbrained, but I think it gets better... mine has.

o

Of course learning a second language is helpful.(I teach Spanish, you know.) Just kidding!

Yes, learning a second language is helpful because you can maintain the continuity of learning by building on it more than you can with other skills. ( I really did read that.) But reading a book, keeping active, working puzzles, all of this helps.

Are you talking about drawing a blank? This is a true menopause thing, even though I have always done it. Even in my 20's I may have started to introduce two friends of mine to each other, and I may have suddenly forgotten on of the names. This has gotten worse in these later years, and also I forget things I really should know. My friends do the same thing. I think this is because many things I think I should know are things I don't think about often.

If you are taking any medications at all, you might want to check with the doctor about the side effects.

Sammy

o

I'm going to try lecithin granules. I was told that it helps memory and other menopause symptoms.

o

My experience has been that thoughts get lost very quickly. I can be trying to remember something and walk to a room to get it, and forget why I was there. Short term memory is fading. That's the major problem I've had with menopause. Well, along with hot flashes 6 times a day. I'm 60!

I would like to do come continuing ed., but with my memory, I'm not sure I could do it. I'm assuming this is not something more serious like Alz.

o

• Posted by
    mrs.micki
    (gw:mrs.micki) on
    Sun, Jul 16, 06 at 5:22

Good morning ladies, sakes alive am I glad I read this posting.I thought I was just losing my mind totally.The short term memory lost is very scary,so scary I find myself actually crying sometimes because I get so mad that I can't remember.You see I also had Bell's Palsy which also causes short term memory lost, the dr. says all my nerves are pulsing correctly, so he doesn't think thats the problem.Another thing is these mood swings and the acne, oh my God my face looks like a map of braille.This has all been going on for 2 yrs.. Everyone keeps saying your gonna be alright you just got a busy life to many things going on. yeah thats just cuz I can't remember what I started out doing in the first place so many more steps are added to accomplish stuff. Thanks so much for the therapy vent time. My new motto is live for today because I'm sure I won't remember yesterday. Thanks all, Micki

o

:o) Micki! Doesn't it just SUCK sometimes? May I suggest playing memory games? it doesn't work over night, but I noticed after about a year, I was getting better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here