Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over-the-counter HRT working - then not

Posted by elizabeth_craig (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 08 at 6:45

I was on prescribed HRT which caused all kinds of problems for me, so I started to try some of the millions of Menopause aids out there on the market.
I have tried probably three different ones since August last year. They all work great for the first 6 - 8 weeks i.e. no hot flashes or night sweats, then it all comes back again. I dont know why this is happening. Each time I think I have found my cure for the sweating, and am so disappointed when it all returns.
Does any one out there have this problem, its almost like my body gets used to the meds and then they dont work any more.I am 55+ and still get periods, and fed up with this nonsense.
From what I have read in this forum, most of you girls have either periods or hot flashes, not both. I get both.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over-the-counter HRT working - then not

I feel your pain. I've been in meno for about 8 years ....started in mid-30's. I've never tried prescription drugs but have tried numerous over the counter/naturopathic supplements. My naturopath said it's not that the pills are no longer working, but that your body goes through different 'strengths' of symptoms. She swears they will work again once that 'surge' has passed.....ya right. She can't convince me of that when I'm sitting at work, red as a beet, with sweat running down my back. I think menopause is just terribly unpredictable, not to mention inconvenient. Me and my 'newly' acquired 30 pounds just try to grin and bear it. Sometimes life just stinks... sorry...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here