Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help for migraines, please

Posted by cmread (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 19:34

A couple of weeks ago I began having severe hot flashes, night sweats, chills, and waking up to go pee about every other hour, and I was already having migraines but now I have them about every other day. A few days ago I began using black cohosh extract, and evening primrose oil along with some other homeopathic meds for sleep, nerves, and hot flashes, but nothing has helped with the migraines. Can someone please tell me something I can use for the migraines, I know it is caused by a hormonal imbalance, but since I am fairly new to this menopause thing, I thought there may be some ladies here that could give me some advice. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help for migraines, please

I have a friend who has severe migraines. Besides prescription medications, she's tried many alternative therapies. Finally she hit the jackpot and found one that worked for her - it's progesterone cream.

She rubs the cream on her forehead when she can sense a headache coming on. She waits 20 minutes, and re-applies.

Below is a site with numerous related articles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Migraines and progesterone cream

o

I believe in better living through chemials. Fiorinal. Really.

My migraines dropped dramatically in frequency after menopause. Before that, I got one just before nearly every period. Now they are down to three or four a year at most. Fiorinal works great for me.

o

Don't mean to lurk on you ladies, but yes I am a man, my wife has to endure these migraines, with the nausea that comes with it.

She is already cursed with headaches if she doesn't eat regularly, so the migraine and nausea combine to perpetuate the migraine, which perpetuates the nausea. I am sure many of you don't need me to explain that, having suffered it yourselves.

Her doctor suggested that she may be experiencing an iron deficiency which may be triggering the migraines. She takes a prescription supplement, but she must take it early enough, and it upsets her stomach too.

Just wanted to point out the iron deficiency issue, hoping that it might help some of you, and that perhaps some of you ladies may have suggestions that may help her out.

Also, I'd like to point out that we discovered, that eyedrops like viseen, reduce redness by constricting blood vessels. Administered as it is through the eyes, puts the active ingredient into the bloodstream quickly, which caused constriction in the bloodvessels in the brain, leading to headaches and in some cases migraines.

Perhaps this bit of information will proove useful to some of you.

o

I have to take Zomig (Zolmitriptan) for mine. I cannot function otherwise and no other remedy ever worked. I get them monthly, when I skip meals, don't drink enough, compute too long, drive too long, when I drink booze, when I travel, for no apparent reason. I have them all the time and worse every year I get older. I've tried Topomax to reduce the frequency but could not tolerate it. I'm on a betablocker for high blood pressure, off birth control pills but still get them all the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here