Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
put on hormones

Posted by msteach (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 6, 06 at 19:03

Ok today was it....I was getting ready to go to school (teacher) and as I was going my granddaughter said something to me and my mood swing swung in and I just wanted to punch her. Now for some of you, you may be saying so....Well this was the wake up call, then as I went to school and was reading the directions to my students for something they were to do, I started really crying..This was it....I called the Dr. and said I needed an appt. I've tried black cohosh, St Johns' wort, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B complex, soy milk, soy nuts, chamomille tea, etc....and this is what it's like. The physical crap I can deal with, it's the emotional roller coaster ride that I can't stomach. Well, since my dr and I do have a good rapport and he knows I have to be pretty bad to even make an appt, he listened as I vented and cried and apologized for crying to him.I have hot flashes, itchy crawly skin, head electrical shock like things at time, hot flashes, insomnia, joint pain, anxiety, etc... He gave me samples of prempro to try for 3 weeks and then go back. He said he is NOT leaving me on hormones for a long period of time but feels I need some extra support because of the severity of the swings. I questioned the cancer relation and he assured me this was not a long term thing, so what do you think? I'm afraid of my rages at times, but I also am afraid of cancer (no breast cancer in my family)- short term maybe till the end of the school year and then give it the summer to try other stuff? Does this sound reasonable and safe? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: put on hormones

oh yeah... if ya gotta, ya gotta... that's my humble opinion. And you don't have to take the highest dosage on the planet either... good luck!

o

I discussed the same thing with my new gyn last week, and she prescribes bio-identical hormone replacement until you are age 55. After that, she tries to taper you off, and if you continue to have significant symptoms, she will keep you on hormone replacement. I trust her judgement.
Mrs H

o

If this will help you, do it.
We need to think about quality of life, as well as the medical isues, which may or may not be important, depending on the accuracy of the studies.

o

My dr. said no hormones for me because my breasts are so cystic & breast cancer (1 aunt) in my family. However, my dr. said you have to look at "quality of life" also. So if things get so out of hand with me, she said she would consider short term HRT. There is something to say about quality of life, ya know? If you have to live all stressed out & anxious & on an emotional roller coaster day after day.......with the worry that you *might* get breast cancer some day, I do believe that when you weigh that out in your mind you will see that your emotional state wins out & you need to help yourself that way. Being anxious & stressed affects you physically also.

o

I agree that you have to look at the "quality of life" issue. You have to be able to function day to day. Having the anxiety and stress without something to help you along will make things worse, in my opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here