SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jean_gw

tinnitis in menopause anyone?

jean
23 years ago

I am 39 years old and am more than likely pre-menopausal (hopefully only pre-). I have had hot flashes over the past few months, have lost much, much more hair than usual over the past year, felt more anxious, had short 1-day periods, doubled up periods in a month, etc., etc.

I recently developed severe tinitis which virtually incapacitated me for over a month. My ears literally roared at one point. Now I get crickets, frogs, buzzers, extremely high-pitched bells, etc. I am on various drugs to help me sleep.

I will be undoubtedly forced to change my life, including job in the near future.

I was diagnosed with Tempromandibular joint dysfunction at the same time. Extremely painful at times; only sore other times.

I don't believe weight plays a role in tinnitis. I'm 121 pounds 5'2."

I'm trying B complex, and have also read articles that said zinc and magnesium play roles in inner ear health.

Unfortunately, tinnitis seems to be fairly ignored by the medical community. Probably because it doesn't kill people outright.

The drug lidocaine has been found to temporarily stop the problem, but the drug is too dangerous. (Personally, I'd probably take the risk.) According to the American Tinnitus Association literature, there is currently research underway to find a drug with the same effects that is more safe.

Hopefully the drug companies will realize how much profit it could make by developing a drug to relieve tinnitis for the again baby-boomer population.

Till then...I've found lots of hot baths and chamomile tea help to soooth on bad nights.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz