Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no one to ask, but I need advice

Posted by Maddie_in_KY (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 05 at 16:35

Hi all!

I usually post at Diet Chat ot the KT, so I hope you don't mind if I butt in here--I really could use some advice.

I'm 42, and adopted, so I have no clue as to what to kinda expect as far as possible age wise, but I think I may be starting perimenopause.

I am not PG (based on 3 HPT, spaced out over days), but I missed my period this month (and I never miss), although I have the cramps, horrible bloating, grouchiness, etc... I have had trouble sleeping for several months, and I go from freezing cold to waking up in sweats. I'm moody, and my memory and consentration are *shot*.

I don't know just what I'm asking, but has this happened to anyone else? I don't have insurance, so I can't ask a doctor, so I hope someone here can help.

Thanks, ladies! :):)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no one to ask, but I need advice

Sounds just like me! I missed my first period at 41, but they had been weird before that. Have you noticed that your periods had gotten closer together before you missed one? Believe it or not, this is one of the first signs that a woman can have...surprised the heck out of me:)....had all the symptoms you describe, fun, huh? That said, there are other things that can cause some of your symptoms...low thyroid comes to mind. The two can have similar symptoms. It would be nice if you could talk to a medical professional...When we lived in Kentucky and we didn't have much money, I applied for medical assistance and got it, even tho DH had a decent job..just a thought...Good luck and my thoughts are with you, Val

o

Thanks, Val!

No, all my periods have been right on the mark, but (at the risk of TMI), they have been running really light, then a waterfall-- is this also a sign?

o

Oh, yes! I never know whether it's going to be a minipad month or a superplus tampon + gigantopad month:)

o

Are you sure you're not pregnant? It happened to a friend of mine at age 43. She now has a beautiful, healthy baby boy.

o

me too- comforting, since my mom's family hits menopause around 40, and tend to die around 60, and my dad's family's got diabetes, heart problems, and whatnot on both sides as far back as anyone can remember.

I had the opposite sign- got it three times in seven weeks.

after 15 solid years without a hiccup (even my 'irregular' periods follow a pattern- I'm so regular that my HUSBAND knows when I'm due) 'panic' is too soft a work to describe the feeling

turned out it was ok- just a follicle without and egg causing a huccup.

but find yourself a planned parenthood, love- or a university clinic, and get it checked out.

even if it's nothing, you deserve to know.

and while you're at it- write a nice letter to your congressman, senator, and Dear King George II, reminding them that not all of us are rich?

o

Maddie, I had some of your symptoms when I was diagnosed with low thyroid. The blood test for thyroid hormone is not all that expensive, nor is the medication if you get the generic brand. See if you can get a doctor to order the test for you. Maybe you can find a way to get it at a discount, since it is a common blood test. Good luck.

o

Thanks for the advice, ladies!

I did call the local health department, and had a PG test, and nope--not that. I did start lightly spotting several days after I posted, so that panic is over! :)

I don't know if I can get any other tests ran (thyroid), but it can not hurt to ask, right?

o

I would suspect that menopause might be a problem, or low body fat, or not enough fluid,drink more water, or iron... you can try progesterone cream, progesterone stimulates the ovulating follicles... if that doesn't work, I betcha it's good ole menopause... with yer thyroid, there's a lot of other symptoms too....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here