Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
48 and off the pill after 6 years

Posted by lovingfla (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 14:47

I am 48 years old and have been taking loestrin 24 fe for 6 years. I have been off the pill for 3 months and still have not had my period. anyone have the same problem? could it be that I am at that age that i am starting menapause? I didn't get my period when I was on the pill so it may be that my body is totally out of wack. I still have an active sex life so I still need birth control but refuse to go back on the pill. Can't wait until I don't have to worry about pregnancy anymore! :) any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 48 and off the pill after 6 years

Check with your doctor. He is better able than we are to check on the state of your ovaries.

And yes, you could be well into menopause. The loestrin may have been keeping things artificially "normal"

o

There's a blood test available to tell if you're in menopause or not. it's called "FSH", follicle stimulating hormone. Discuss this with your doctor. I was on birth control pills from age 21 to 48 continuously, except for three pregnancies. From 48 to 53 I still got periods, though they were irregular, and I used a diaphragm. My periods stopped in 2007 but I still get hot flashes almost daily. Again, discuss this with your doctor. I went to a female Nurse Practitioner, with whom I was very comfortable.

o

I am so glad to find information on this subject! I am 47, and just recently went off the pill. I started at 20 and was only off long enough to have my 2 children. i had no problems with the pill and had short easy periods all those years. i just went off and was expecting to get my period like any other month. its a about a week past when i thought i should get it. i had long days of cramping for about 3 or 4 days so thought here it comes,but no bleeding. now that i've read all the comments from woman around 50, i'm thinking, wow, could i possibly not get periods anymore? i'd be fine with that. but a woman my age still worries about getting pregnant ,so condoms are a must! my kids are 23 and 21, they don't need any baby siblings! i have woken up middle of the night, the last couple weeks experiencing what i think may be the start of light hot flashes. my lower back has been aching quite a bit, but thought it was the darn shoes i bought, maybe not! after reading all the helpful discussions, i'm so glad to know i'm not alone out here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here