Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To sleep or not to sleep !

Posted by celeste_meno (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 14:32

It is comforting to know I am not alone regarding crazy sleeping patterns. I've been reading posts and I don't feel like I'm losing my mind. Last night, before I went to bed, I prayed that I would sleep through the night. At 2:30 a.m. when I was sitting outside on my porch after waking up, I prayed to be able to go back to sleep. I went back in the house after about a half an hour and fell back asleep until the alarm went off at 5:30. Why is 2:30 a.m. or 3:00 a.m. the magic moment that we get pulled out of our beauty sleep? Who said that my 40's would be feel like the begining of my life? Not depressed, just rolling with the changes.......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To sleep or not to sleep !

You're right about the 2:30 or 3:00 time in my experience. I never related it to being like a baby again, lol. Maybe we need to get up and drink a warm glass of milk, kind of like babies do to get back to sleep :)
Mrs H

o

Mine also seems to be around 2:30 or 3:00 a.m. My alarm goes off at 4:30. No, you're definitely not losing your mind.

o

This is happening to me as well. 2:30/3:00 A.M. is also the magic time. I get up, let the dogs out, make a cup of tea, get the dogs in and then I'll read for awhile until I can go back to sleep. It's very draining on me mentally. It's no wonder we all complain about decreased mental function and loss of short term memory.

o

I can totally sympathize and I used to fret over how much sleep I was getting (or not getting) all the time. I was always waking up in the pre-dawn hours and it really bothered me I couldn't sleep through the night. But then last year, I decided to give it up and let my body settle into whatever sleep pattern I felt comfortable with. So I'm a total night-owl now and I rarely go to bed until well after midnight, usually between 1-2AM.

That 'eight hours of sleep' thing is drilled into our heads all our lives, but everybody knows you don't need as much sleep as we age. I'm quite comfortable with 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night and can function just fine all day without feeling sleepy. The extra hours late at night are my quiet time and I spend it reading, working on craft projects, watching chick flicks, etc. It takes a while to adjust to a different schedule of sleep, but not fighting it made all the difference and I'm not staring at a dark ceiling at 3:00am anymore!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here