Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sarafem

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 11, 06 at 10:34

My doctor prescribed it for my anxiety/mood swings. I'm supposed to take it two weeks after my period starts, stop it when I start my period, and so on.

My concern is, if it takes 1-2 weeks to take effect, and I have to go off it for 2 weeks at a time, won't I lose the effect? Or is there a residual effect?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sarafem

I am guessing, because I don't take Sarafem. But I take prozac for my pms... I do the same thing, take if for 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. Actually for me, it works well and minimized the side affects.

o

Usually it takes about that time for a medication that is taken for a long duration to reach the therapeutic level in the blood. I don't know exactly how long it takes with that particular medication, but my understanding is that the positive effects (the ones you are looking for) of anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds don't begin right away.

When someone reports immediate results, I tend to suspect the placebo effect.

o

usually it takes about 3 days for it to take affect for me, but I am sensitive to drugs... say, I have an operation, takes less morphine than most to help me. I am also very sensitive to side affects. I have asked the doc if this is because I metabolize medicine faster than most... he didn't know.

o

I'm concerned because I read about what can happen if you stop taking these drugs abruptly. Is 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off safe?

o

The anxiety was coming back with a vengance while I was still on the Sarafem; I also had constant lightheadedness and felt like I was in a fog all the time. I let my doctor's office know I'm weaning myself off it. I'm open for alternatives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here