Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this possible?

Posted by jannie (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 07 at 9:03

My SIL just turned 59, says she still gets regular periods and is not in menopause. She had a d and c about two years ago, other than that,she says she's always been perfectly regular. Is this possible? i'm asking because I'm 54 ad in the past year my periods stopped and re-started twice. My doctor says I'm unusual. Isn't age 59 a little more "unusual"? I suspect she's lying so she'll appear more youthful. Or am i being b@#$%y?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this possible?

Hi Jannie,
I think anything is possible with menopause. It's ok to be a "you know what" once and a while. It's a blessing from God. I like the fact that your doctor called you "unusual." I would hate to be "usual", how boring! Hope this brightens your day.
Celeste

o

I'll be 56 next week and although I've missed the odd period during the past year, I'm not yet in menopause. At least I'm not the oldest one out there but I've been saying for years that I'm going to hold the world's record for this.

o

My best friend is 55 and still having regular periods and not experiencing any issues related to menopause.

I was standing in line at the grocery store a while back and noticed an eldery woman about 75 or 80, buying sanitary pads and tampons. I kept thinking "Oh please tell me those are for your daughter or grandaughter and not you".

o

I guess if someone can be menopausal at 45, then 59 is also possible. Personally, I wish my periods would end forever. Just think of all the money we spend on sanitary supplies, only to flush them down the toilet or put in the trash!

o

Hi all, Im new to this post, but after reading, now maybe I think something is wrong. I had my last period 7/2006. I was 44, now 45. I figured it was menopause, maybe its not. Apparently this is not the norm? I haven't been to the gyno since. Anyone else out there go thru this so early?

o

My last period was over six years ago, I am 52. You cant start counting menopause until you havent had a period for 1 year! If you bleed before that you have to start counting over. Has anyone else heard that.

o

That's what I've heard. A couple times I've counted down, only to have to start over at 10 months or 9 months. This time looks like it. I'm at 11 something months. I'm only 53, btw.

o

Linda, I'm new here, and I had my last period at 43. Or maybe it was 42. Who's counting?

Perfectly regular, uneventful and painless periods until one day I just stopped. That was it.

My gyn told me I MUST have had some physical indications (skipped periods, some heavy bleeding) but because I was so young, she missed all the emotional/physiological signs of perimenopause I had been exhibiting. Needless to say I punted her.

o

Drs. they dont know it all. Good for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here