Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Symptoms start up again after menopause??

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 15, 10 at 8:02

Hi all,
I had a really rough perimenopause and have been doing much better since its over. I'm 60 and stopped having periods about 5-6 years ago.
But lately, I started having a couple visual auras and mild headaches again.....which I always only had when my hormones were fluctuating.
Also, I occasionally get intense right ovary pain. I saw my OB/GYN for ovary pain last Fall and got a transvaginal ultrasound and they couldn't even find my ovaries, they were so shrunken. But I'm pretty sure that's where the pain is coming from.
I've also been extremely hungry and fatigued lately.....just like I used to get in perimenopause.
Have any of you ever gotten a reawakening of some of your symptoms, years after having stopped having periods?
Sometimes I wonder as our FSH goes up, if this doesn't cause some of the problems.
Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Symptoms start up again after menopause??

I am new to the forum but just had to post a response to yours. YES, I do think that this stuff all comes back time and again. I am nearly 58 and have not had a period in 2 years but am now having all kinds of new symptoms: vertigo, dizziness hot flashes and night sweats, anxiety and panic attacks (yikes!) etc. after a period of not having hardly any. I have been through a stressful period in my life lately so maybe that does turn the old floodgates wide open..... but I do think that FSH may have something to do with it as it just continues to rise to astronomical levels after menopause according to to what I have read. Boy! I sure wish this life phase would get behind me, how about you LOL???

o

Hi katysok,
Trying to convince my male Internal medicine doc that I really think these are fluctuating hormones is close to impossible. But I get all the old symptoms back. Sometimes my heart goes so crazy that it really scares me. But I've done this 2 times before in the past.....went to the ER, had cardiac tests, etc., and nothing was found.
I guess I'll wait it out...........maybe the symptoms will stop when I'm 70???
Good luck to you!

o

Mine have left and come back too and I am 57. The anxiety and panic attacks are so very weird!
I am so scared riding or driving a car and I know that it is unfounded. I try to talk myself out of it, but I had rather just stay home.
I am beginning to wonder if going thru the 'change' means you change and stay that way lol.
Rosa

o

I'm 55 and haven't had a period in 3 years. The HRT helped with the hot flashes, but I get anxiety and panic attacks. If I didn't have to work, I'd stay home and try to relax. Rosa, I'm also wondering if the "change" is here to stay.

o

I'm 55 and haven't had a period since I was in my 40s!
I'm told that my hormone levels are low but does that explain the total fatigue and anxiety along with just feeling awful 24/7.
My primary Dr and OB/GYN say that hormone therapy is the answer (ESTRACE CREAM)...nothing more can be done.
They do not and will not acknowledge that several other symtoms are coming with these low levels and refuse to refer me to an Endochronologist.
I worry that more could be wrong because I've found myself rendered just useless because of this plethora of symptoms,but they are treating me as the "crazy lady" !
I feel as if I'm losing my mind along with the physical stuff!
Surly I am not the only woman on the planet that's going through this!
Is this normal after NOT having a period for 15 years?
Any advise would be appreciated.

o

10 years post menopause.....and yes to your answer. :(

o

Maureen57 I know exactly how you feel. I joined this forum 4 years ago and it saved my sanity. I haven't had a period for 3 years and before it stopped I had had at least 7 years of awful menopause symptoms. I thought I was beginning to get back to normal but in the past month I've been having nausea, dizziness, irritability, mood swings and sweats again! When I see how many others this is happening to I feel like just giving up. As I type this now I am in tears. I have never taken anything the doctor prescribed and only gone down the natural route. I have spent thousands of pounds on vitamins(which I regularly take)and hormone creams. I watch what I eat.What else can I/we do? I said to my husband just the other day that I preferred having periods to this! I'm 53 and don't want the rest of my life to be like this. Its a truly depressing thought. Once again, this forum will be my saving grace as I know I'm not the only one.

o

I haven't had a period since 2003. Had hot flashes then...took Remifemin and hormones for 5 years. Haven't had a hot flash since then until about 2 months ago. They seem to be lasting longer and coming more frequently. I'll be 60 this fall and am concerned that this is a sign of heart disease. Anyone have a similar experience or knowledge about the heart disease connection?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here