Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about ultrasound results

Posted by robbyrob (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 7:17

My doctor ordered a pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound because I was having some breakthrough bleeding/discharge when I ovulated the last two months. The ultrasound showed that I had a cyst on both ovaries and that the lining of my uterus was a little thicker than normal. I am scheduled to have a biopsy of my uterine lining next week. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about ultrasound results

Hi robbyrob,
I think this is pretty routine. I've had a bunch of ultrasounds, and there always seemed to be a cyst or 2 going on. Some of them are eggs being readied to be expelled, and others are "blanks".
My doc was keeping an eye on my lining thickness too.
The biopsy will tell the doc if its just normal cells that aren't being shed, or not. You don't want that lining to stay in there for long periods of time without being shed, as it can develop into something you DO need to worry about. But at this time, I wouldn't worry if I were you. Your doc is doing what he/she should be doing at this point, and chances are, your hormones are askew, and not shedding your lining. The doc may do nothing, consider giving you progesterone to shed that lining, or doing a D&C..
Let us know how things turn out!

o

mine wasn't the best...the d&c came back positive and was referred to oncology obgyn...had everything removed plus 2 cm of cervix...cancer, but all gone!

o

susanjf: I'm so sorry to hear that but it's a good thing that you discovered this and was able to take care of it before it progressed. Were you having any symptoms prior to this? I'm not sure why my doctor wants to do a biopsy instead of a d&c. I'm 44 and still have regular cycles. In fact, I may not be able to have the biopsy done tomorrow because my period just started today. If I may ask, what type of hysterectomy did they do? My neighbor just had one two weeks ago and they did it all through a tiny incision in her navel. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.

o

I wrote in another post about the same problems as you have. I also have a thickened lining and the ultrasound showed a mass that they weren't sure what it was. So I went for an MRI which just confirmed what the ultrasound showed. A couple of small fibroids and small cysts and the thickened lining. The doctor did a biopsy (which surprised me that it hurt for a very short time) and I'll get the results mid week or so. She said that if the biopsy is normal, I'll probably just go back for another MRI in 4-6 weeks and then if nothing in that changed, it will just be watched.

She also said I could have an infection but I've been on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicine since before the MRI and still am due to teeth problems. She said they're the same antiobiotics that she would have prescribed me. So, maybe I'm ahead of knowing if anything is wrong because of this or maybe the medicines took care of it.

o

marie26: Thank you for responding. I'm sure your results will come back fine. The waiting is the toughest part! My doctor also wants me to go back in a couple of months for another ultrasound to make sure the cysts haven't grown. Best of luck to you!

o

My biopsy came back fine!! They just want to do another ultrasound in two months as a follow-up to check the cysts on my ovaries. Thank you to all for your comments and support!

o

YAY! Great news robbyrob!!

o

I'm happy things turned out well for you (and me).

o

I am in menopause according to the blood tests my new doctor took a few weeks ago but I've been having breakthrough bleeding. I had an ultrasound after the blood tests and the lining is still thickened like a previous doctor diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago. My new doctor told me that the normal number is 7 but mine is 12. Fourteen is considered high.

He is scheduling a D & C for me. I am curious why my previous doctor didn't suggest doing this.

If this doesn't take care of the problem, then there is a new procedure that can be tried where they put a "hot water bottle" into your uterus that will help thin the lining. Apparently, this procedure was invented in the town where I live.

o

The things that we have to go through being a woman . I had an ultra sound done this Spring, I have a large fibroid, it doesn't bother be at all,some fibroids shrink as they get older. I can remember when my lining was shedding, I didn't know what was going on there for awhile, you can actually feel it coming out of you, like a white jelly, that lasted for awhile,and now I have a very thin lining which gets dry sometimes, and that is very uncomfortable, so then you have to put lubricants in for vaginal dryness, I'm telling you, if it's not one thing, it's another.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here