SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marie26_gw

How old were you when you were in menopause?

marie26
19 years ago

In one month, I will be 54. I still have never missed a period. Recently, the odd time it's been 1 week late but then I've also had staining in between when that happened.

I'm beginning to believe I'm heading for a record. Everyone in my family stopped having their periods at around 50.

Isn't 54 very old not to be in menopause?

Comments (53)

• marie26
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I had my tubes tied 21 years ago (after having 5 children) and I'm one of those women who would have been very happy not to have a period after that. I haven't really had other symptoms other than being cold or hot when no one else is but that is not a regular thing.

• gandbb
    19 years ago

I was just shy of being 56. It has been two years now and life is immeasurably better. an early menarche and late menopause are risk factors for ovarian cancer so you may need to be checked more often.

• Related Discussions

How Old Were You When You........?

Q

Comments (31)
    I was almost 17, but didn't think it was a date at first. A close friend worked for the Rec Dept as a summer job. His cousins were a well-known singing group, and he knew they would be playing in town. Diana Ross was going to be on the show too. He got the tickets from work, and one day after summer school class he asked if anyone wanted them. There was a group jumping up and down screaming to get the tickets, and he picked me. I told him that I would give him the money the next day. That's when he told me that I was going as his date - WOW, was I shocked. My mom took me shopping for a new dress and shoes and all the other accessories. I was pretty shy, and heavier than everyone else. She was so sweet to try to make me feel like the other girls that were going. I'll never forget that concert - open-air amphitheatre, and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" has just come out. That was my first boyfriend - we dated for a little over 6 mos. We remained friends for a while and would hang out every once in a while. After I have been dating my soon-to-be-hubby (now, ex) for only a few weeks, my friend had taken me to go car shopping. When we got back to my house, my "hubby" was there waiting to take me out. To this day (a couple of decades later),even after being divorced, "hubby" can't get over that - even though it was something very innocent. Unfortunately, my friend passed away about 12 years later from a massive heart attack. I found out at the HS 10 year reunion. When it was announced, everyone in the room turned around to see my expression. They knew we were always close - he was very well liked by everyone. Oh well, enough of my story. Short answer - almost 17.
    ...See More

How joyful were you seeing the old kitchen gone?(pics)

Q

Comments (13)
    Wow I love those pink/purple cabinets!! Ok, here's some pics of my old kitchen. Notice the sink counter area? That was the only counter space in the entire kitchen. And look what the sink cab had become over the years. Rotten!! And check out the wood SHINGLES along where the walls meet the ceiling! I sorta kinda thought they were a little cool when we moved in 12 years ago but that lasted about a minute. And what it looked like after the second day of demo! Of course the sentimental side of me feels bad about knocking the entire room down... but it needed to be done. It was rotting and it was a very poor use of space. I'm looking forward to putting up finished kitchen photos!
    ...See More

What were you doing when you were 21 years old?

Q

Comments (73)
    Lets see for me that was 10 years ago. I had been married for 4 years,had a 4 year old daughter, and 1 year old son. I was a stay at home mom. Now Im 31 been happily married for 14 years (considering that me and hubby were 17 when we married,I think were doing pretty good),have a 14 year old teenager (who will be in high school next year),and 11 year old son (who will be in middle school). They both consider us OLD! Weve added a min-pin and great dane. Oh ya,and I work full-time now. Even though we had some tough times I wouldnt trade my life for the world! :0) -Smile247
    ...See More

When you were looking at homes did the realtor drive you or you met up

Q

Comments (26)
    When I bought my house, the realtor drove me around. But then again I met her through an organization we were both part of, even though we weren't especially friends. I was glad we drove around together because it enabled more frank conversation and spontaneous questions. (And some laughter after the House with The Indiana Jones stairway down into the basement, or after escaping the House with the Severely Bowed Roof, which we hadn't noticed until we had crossed through it and were out on the deck.) She was willing to show me the neighborhoods, too. When I hunted for the land I'm currently building on, the realtor just gave me the address and I went on my own - she never showed up at all. (I met her when I first signed up with her, and just once after. She hadn't indicated at our first meeting that she'd not actually be walking these properties with me.)
    ...See More
  • marie26
    Original Author
    19 years ago

gandbb, I had never heard that late menopause is a rish factor for ovarian cancer. Thank you for letting me know. How often should you have pap smears? More than once a year?

• catherinet
    19 years ago

Hmmmm.....I hadn't heard that either. I suppose it makes sense though. Everything, as it gets older, has a higher risk for cancer, just from wearing out.

• gandbb
    19 years ago

Once a year is probably sufficient. Many HMOs offer the test only every two years unless there is a risk factor like late on-set menopause. The reason that women who have had pregnancies have a lower chance of developing ovarian cancer is because their bodies were given a rest from their cycle. More cycles = more risk so early menarche and late menopause are risk factors.

• marie26
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have 5 children but the youngest is 21. I also had my tubes tied after I gave birth to her. So, I guess this would still put me at high-risk?

• marie26
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have 5 children but the youngest is 21. I also had my tubes tied after I gave birth to her. So, I guess this would still put me at high-risk?

• gandbb
    19 years ago

I wouldn't want to make that call, but my guess is that because of your age your physician will define you as at risk - which is not the same as high risk, just higher risk. Five children means that you had at least 45 months free of periods - more if you breast fed. I am sure that all helps.

• catherinet
    19 years ago

gandbb,
    I have never heard of that theory about the number of cycles you have. Can you list any good articles that are about that theory, that I might read? Thanks.

• gandbb
    19 years ago

I read about this in my doctor's office, but by going on-line and just typing risk factors for ovarian cancer into Metacrawler, a lot of articles came up including the one below

Here is a link that might be useful: risk factors for ovarian cancer

• cheerful1_gw
    18 years ago

I just turned 50; had my first period at 11; I have no children; am in perimenopause. My mother went through menopause at 50; my oldest sister at 58; my other two sisters had hysterectomies in their mid-40s. Should I be concerned about ovarian cancer?

• gandbb
    18 years ago

I only just noticed this posting. I really can't evaluate your risk factors, but do be sure to stay current with your pap tests. I have started having periods again at 58. I waited a month before seeing a doctor and now everything is rush rush. I have to have a biopsy next week.

• cheerful1_gw
    18 years ago

I have a doctor's appointment this month. I will speak to her about all this and get my pap test.

• cheerful1_gw
    18 years ago

I thought I was in perimenopause; the bloodwork says I'm in the real thing. Will have a sonogram to check the lining of my uterus to see if everything is ok. I'm a little worried since I started my periods at age 11 and I'm 50 now, and have never been pregnant.

• nycefarm_gw
    18 years ago

Perio at 42, when the bloodwork at 43 came back it was post, went one year and one day without a period, then had two. At 44 I'm thinking it's all done now. Especially when the doctor started talking about tissue deterioration, boy did that make me feel sexy...

• catlover
    18 years ago

Please have your pap tests, but PLEASE realize these do not pick up ovarian cancer. You need to have regular full pelvic exams!

• shaknzmom
    18 years ago

I was 35 when I began having irregular periods. I was concerned maybe it was cancer (isn't that where everyone's mind goes?) Within 2 - 3 years I was in menopause, although my doc kept telling me it wasn't possible. I asked if it was normal to have hot flashes, night sweats, waistline weight gain (I'd ALWAYS had a small waist!), lethargy, etc. "Hhhmmm," he says. "I don't know, but I DO know you're too young for menopause!"

Finally after a year of heavy unexpected flows, I had an ablation (I highly recommend if your doctor gives you the option!) At my next visit the doc does bloodwork as I was still complaining of the meno type symptoms. He calls me and says, "Guess what! You're in menopause!" Then proceeds to blame the ablation for my going into early menopause. Good grief! :)

Anyhow...I was in full meno by 38. Doc took one ovary during the ablation and removed the bad tissue from the uterus and other ovary. I've not had a period since...3 years later...but unfortunately the hot flashes and such remain. Now if THEY'D just go away all would be right with my world again!

• Robbie_WY
    18 years ago

Hi Marie,

I'm 54, and had my last period about 15 months ago, so I'm in full menopause. Started with irregular periods in my early forties, I guess. At first, I simply went from a 28-day-cycle to a 25-day-cycle, then a 21-day-cycle, that sort of thing. At about at 50-ish, I began missing periods or having extra periods. Then one day is just stopped, and I haven't had one since. I have a huge bag of extra feminine products I'd like to donate ! :)

Robbie

• latamonder_aol_com
    17 years ago

I am 56 and 7 months. I am still having regular periods every month. Also an occasiona extra one maybe once or twice a year. I saw my gynecologist today for my annual check up. He said periods are a nusiance but going longer in life having periods usually indicates a healthy woman. He never mentioned an increas rick of ovarian cancer. I wish I had read this before so I could have asked him about this today.

• nhb22
    17 years ago

Started my periods at 11. I am 49 and have been post menopausal for 2 years. I started going through changes at 40 and I have had one heck of a time. Feel like my life has been cut short by 10 years.

I went from someone that had regular periods with very little or no cramping and no headaches to having terrible hot flashes, vaginal trouble and migraines.

I wonder if the symptoms are worse if you go through menopause early?

I have a 26 year old daughter who is having similar symptoms, except her periods are fairly normal. I am afraid that she is going through premature menopause, so I have asked her to ask for a hormone test the next time she sees her doctors.

• cr123
    17 years ago

I'm 56 and have never missed a period expept when pregnant (3x's). Have a long history of terrible PMS and lots of severe cramps when young. Now I've been told by testing I have osteoporosis along with lots of arthritis in joints which really flares up bad before my period along with indigestion. I'm practicing lots of strecthing, meditation, affirmations, and and walking for 1 half hour per day. The walking really helps and is most enjoyable.

• marie26
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm not the oldest since I'll be 56 in a month. The last period I had, I realized after I got it that I had the worst PMS symptoms I'd ever had including crying for no apparent reason.

• gaylee51
    17 years ago

I started "symptoms" at age 38; irregular, very heavy periods, migraines and achey hips.

I had a urine ablation at age 45 and that stopped my periods. Had a few hot flashes and mood swings over the next few years.

I'm now 52 and during the last 6 months all hell has broken loose. Guess this is the real thing.

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

Posted by Robbie_WY: I have a huge bag of extra feminine products I'd like to donate !
    ++++

Homeless shelters will take them.

That's how I got rid of all of mine that I had stocked up on because of a sale. (I don't have any younger daughters, and it's not the type of thing you put on Craigslist. LOL)

• remnjava1
    16 years ago

I will soon be 55. I still am not in menopause! I started my periods when I was 12 or 13. I am white, grew up in California and now live in the Midwest. I have had one son, who is now 32, who I nursed for about 2 months.

• remnjava1
    16 years ago

Oh yeah, I still haven't had regular periods in about 5 years, usually a bit of spotting here and there. My FSH and other blood test come back negative for menopause.

• cheerful1_gw
    16 years ago

I noticed I posted here 2 years ago. Still having hot flashes, mood swings, weight gain.

Gaylee51 - it's interesting you mentioned achey hips. Mine are starting to hurt more. I thought it was from too much dancing at a party last month, but they still hurt.

• katybo
    16 years ago

I am 54 and have finally had a full year of no periods. I was 15 when I started my period, so I think that might be why.

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

I'm brand new to the game. 45 years old in August, and I had my last period on July 30.

• roze
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm new here, but found the comments interesting. I'm 44, and it's coming up to 9 months since my last period, which wasn't really a proper one. It was 6 months since the one before that. At about 38 I started getting very heavy ones for a couple of years - could be Very Awkward! Then they got really light for a few years, and now this. My doctor says it is just early menopause, she says it is getting increasingly common, but most of you guys seem to be more normal! My mother was 50.

• mostie
    16 years ago

My grandmother and mother both started menopause at 29 years old (unbelievable-!), I'm 47, and I'm guessing that I'm in the pre-stages of it- oh well, coulda hit when I was 29-lol!

• lbs1968
    16 years ago

I am 39.5 and have been having hot flashes followed by cold chills before my period and during the first few days of my period every since my third child, 4 yrs now. My mom went into Menopause at 40. My doctor keeps shrugging off the possibility that I could be approaching this milestone. I am still on the pill, therefore, very regular, however, my periods are either very light or very heavy. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

• minrose
    16 years ago

I was 15 when I got my first period and then 10 months later I got my 2nd one, was irregular until I went on the pill. Now at age 50, I am experiencing some pre-menopause symtoms, hot flashes, headaches, breast tenderness.

• jannie
    16 years ago

I got my periods like clockwork every 35 days since age 13. Had two children (late in life) , born when i was 35 and 36. Periods resumed, around 52 they got closer together (sometimres everty 3 weeka), then at 54 they stopped, started again a couple of times. My last period was in August 2007, right after a visit to the gynecologist. I have not had a single drop of blood since them. I am now 55.

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

Haven't read every response so this may already have been noted
    OVARIAN CANCER IS NOT DETECTED BY A PAP SMEAR
    Please see your doctor and discuss your personal and family risk factors and see if genetic counseling is in order. My sister is currently battling (and losing) to her ovarian cancer.

As to the original question, I'm also 54 and although my periods are no longer as predictable as before, I do still get them (some light some heavy) and I've only had one ovary for the last 12 years. That lil' buggar is still chuggin' along!!

• marie26
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I started this thread over 3 years ago and I'm now 57 and for the past 2 years, my periods have been 3 months apart. Is this normal? I have an appointment with the doctor this month and hopefully, everything will be normal. I still feel as though I'm going for some sort of record.

• baybay_2008
    15 years ago

I am just 43 and have not had any symptons yet. However,I have heard that later menopause would benefit women in terms of reducing chances of getting the age-related diseases. Menstrating indicates your ovaries are still functioning, which produces hormones. Generally speaking, women who get a later meno. like younger.

• cheerful1_gw
    15 years ago

My post from last year: "I noticed I posted here 2 years ago. Still having hot flashes, mood swings, weight gain.
    Gaylee51 - it's interesting you mentioned achey hips. Mine are starting to hurt more. I thought it was from too much dancing at a party last month, but they still hurt".

I've been on HRT for almost a year, no more hot flashes; mood swings from mad to sad; weight relatively stable.

I think the achey hips are from the osteoporosis I was diagnosed with last November.

I haven't had a period since March of 2007, with the exception of some breakthrough bleeding from the HRT this past March.

So, am I still in menopause?

• dee_can1
    15 years ago

Marie, have you tested your LH and FSH? I had mine tested 6 months ago (I was having numerous health problems, and we wanted to see if perimenopause might be factoring in) - it showed that I was no where near menopause. Fast forward to 6 months later, and I had the tests again - poof - I'm in menopause now.

I'm only 45; and I'm still having periods (shorter/and a shorter cycle, though). I'm having the tests done again on day 21 of my cycle this time, to see if it's a sure thing.

• marie26
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had the blood test a few months ago and it said that I was definitely in menopause. The doctor said my lining is very thick and that's causing the breakthrough bleeding. I need a D&C and should be having it done in a couple of months.

• grannyto5
    15 years ago

Hi...new to the forum. I am almost 61 and still am not menopausal. And have went several times for 12 months or longer without a cycle but hormone levels are not there yet. I had two GYN's tell me I had gone thru menopause just because of going 12 months without a period. NOT ALWAYS TRUE. Be sure your hormone level is checked to make sure.

• baybay1965
    15 years ago

Dear Grannyto5. I am new too. You said you were 61 and still not menopausal. When was your last period? Are you saying if your hormone levels are not there, you are not menopausal even though you stop bleeding? You are breaking the record! How about your health? I heard it is better to have a later meno than a earlier one.

• cheerful1_gw
    15 years ago

According to my GYN at my annual last week, I'm post-menopausal. She's keeping me on the HRT, but on a lower dosage.

• gayle67
    15 years ago

I have had hot flashes since I was 37 and am 41 now. I have hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, depression, fatigue, weight gain, waking up at night (apnea I guess), headaches,
    and my gyno and family dr. say I am way too young for menopause and perimenopause-what are these symptoms of if not that-anyone able to give me insight???? Today I asked for a FSH test and they did that but said they don't do a estrogen test cuz they aren't really actual since we fluctuate so much. Can't go by my periods because I had a vaginal hysterectomy last year but have my ovaries and tubes still-don't get periods but used to still have symptoms of it, haven't for a while now. Anyone with the same kind of issues??? Both drs. are women, I would think they would be more supportive of the age factor. Oh well, what can you do besides just deal with it.

• grannyto5
    15 years ago

baybay,

I had a period this October and had had one in Oct of 2007. I started the one this Oct after my annual exam so don't know if that brought it on or not. I have went several times for longer than 12 months with no period. Sometimes the GYN will give me progesterone to make me have a period but that doesn't always work either. I seem to be in pretty good health and I have not had the hot flashes. A few night sweats from time to time and I wonder if it is because I am going thru it so slowly. Your hormone levels have to be at a certain level before you are through menopause even if you have not had a period.
    Yes, I wonder what the record is....haha

• wndya
    15 years ago

I am 48 and haven't had a period for 6 months. I am hoping this is it because for the last 2 years the heavy periods and hot flashes have REALLY SUCKED! (I live in the desert. If you can help it, never go through this in the desert.) Not to mention the total lack of libido, and I'm a newlywed! My DH is living in a house with a nutty menopausal mama and his pre-adolescent step son. The man is a bonified saint, I tell you!

• arg2009
    14 years ago

I am 55 in one month and still pretty regular. There is not much support in any research for the increased chance of ovarian cancer and just think your bones, heart and other organs are protected with natural estrogen for a few more years...I just get tired of going to the drugstore with grey hair..to pick up the products

I know it will come eventually.. so I think of the positives..

• baybay_2008
    14 years ago

From all the postings here, it seems to me that memopause can happen to people at all ages with a great variations between 30s to even 60s. Ha! I just read an article (with a few ads) about how to delay your menopause and the benefits of having periods until the late 50s....The even claimed some herbs medicines containing isoflavones and other herbs..can keep your period "running" long so you would look younger and healthier. Does anyone here know if that is true? If that is the case, I would like to have a later menopause.

• baybay_2008
    14 years ago

The following is the Q&A on Late Menopause:

Q:"Are there any advantages to still having periods at the age of 56? Is there a benefit to late menopause, or is it better to undergo it earlier? "

Â Rosemary, Pennsylvania
    A: Having a late menopause (menopause after the age of around 55) is a double-edged sword. There's some evidence that a later menopause carries a decreased risk of coronary heart disease, but there may also be a slightly higher risk of breast cancer. However, the associations between these health conditions and menopause aren't very strong. The other good news is that there are ways to avoid many health problems  such as doing regular exercise, following a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy weight, and so forth. There is an association between menopause and smoking  smokers often have an earlier menopause. You are probably a nonsmoker, though, which is also good for your health.
    Keep in mind too that 56 is well within the normal age range for menopause, though it's toward the upper end of the spectrum. So you have nothing to worry about right now.

Last Updated: 08/04/2008
    JoAnn Manson, MD, is a professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and chief of Preventive Medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital.

• Donna431970
    11 years ago

Sadly, I was forced into menopause at the age of 41 due to having stage 3 ovarian cancer. So I guess I will not experience menopause naturally. Had a total hysterectomy in July of 2001(same year I was diagnosed with the cancer) and since then the cancer has been in remission(very happy about that).

Sponsored