Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which questions should I ask doctor?

Posted by marie26 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 19:37

Even though I've had a period the past 2 months, I didn't have one for 4 months before that. I am way past the age of getting menopause (almost 56). My main concern is that I turn into a crazy person at times for no reason. Also, I get this feeling of dread and just feel very anxious.

What questions should I ask the gyn next week at my yearly appointment concerning hormones? I know nothing about hormone therapy and am afraid of it because of weight gain. Years ago, when I was bleeding very heavily, I was given hormone therapy and gained quite a bit of weight almost immediately.

Are there other questions I should ask at my appointment?

What tests should I expect her to give me, either blood tests or any others? Should she send me for a bone density test since osteoporosis runs in my family? Should I get a test that tells if I could be in menopause?

Thank you for any help with this. I want to be prepared when I go to my appointment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which questions should I ask doctor?

If you are still having some periods, then you are still going through pre-menopause. True menopause is when you stop having them altogether. The process takes years for some of us. I would ask to have my sex hormone levels checked and stress hormone levels checked. Emotional upheaval seems to go hand in hand with menopausal changes in some of us.
Mrs H

o

also, fibroids could be interrupting your period, they do mine.

o

I went to see the doctor yesterday and besides the usual exam, she is sending me for blood tests, urine cultures, an internal ultrasound and I have another appointment set up for her to take a biopsy of the lining of the uterus. She said this is just to make sure there is nothing else going on.

When I described all my nuttiness to her, she just said "That sounds about right". She didn't push for hormone therapy and made it sound like it's my choice completely. She also said that this wouldn't necessarily give me weight gain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here