Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weight loss

Posted by Andierut (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 02 at 16:50

Somtimes I wonder if it's actually possble to lose weight during peri-menopause. I've gained about 10 lbs. which isn't a disaster, but I'd still like to take it off. It seems hopeless at this point. I feel like I'm carrying extra fluid for about 3 weeks out of the month due to the fact that my periods are early, late and all over the place. The few days where I'm not, I can diet like crazy and maybe lose a lb. or two, but then I'm right back into the water weight gain again. At that point, I just can't seem to drop any weight because of this.
If you have been successful in losing some weight, how did you do it?
Thanks,
Andierut

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weight loss

Weelll...I am seriously perimenopausal, and I quit smoking 33 days ago. I have refused to gain weight and get flabby and out of shape as I've aged (44 now). Since the day I quit smoking, I've lost somewhere between 3-6 lbs...I don't own a scale but have a dog who goes for weekly vet treatments so I weigh myself there.

And I totally know what you mean by water weight (and gas bloating, OY!)...however this has nothing to do with your actual body mass. I stay the same weight as when I was 15 the traditional way. I eat well and exercise. I don't go to a gym, and I refuse to buy anything labelled low fat, lite, or diet. I don't wallow around watching TV and eating, I don't spend 20 minutes trying to get a close parking space, I take stairs instead of elevators when practical, walk my dogs most days. I eat tons of fruit & vegetables (because I like them.) If I want to eat a half gallon of high fat icecream in one sitting, I do. Then I eat a bit less the next day. I have not gone on a diet since I was maybe 19. I adore junky food but try not to eat it too often because I feel draggy afterwards. I don't like to take supplements, I hate the taste of soda & juice; I drink a lot of water. Not because its supposed to be good for me, but because I like it.

My theory is: if you eat lots (I mean lots) of good stuff with plenty of fiber, you can get away with eating more fatty foods more often because they go through you faster. :) I did not grow up in America & have a different view of eating and food, though. But it does work for me.

o

I've been in peri for at least 2yrs. now and about a year ago I quickly put on 10lbs. I've always been weight conscious and I was panicking. I'm not much for dieting and eating FF foods either so I started exercising regularly; I started off walking 5mi. often and got bored so then I added some jogging in with the walking. I do this 3-5 times a week. About 2mos. ago I started consuming 72-96oz. of water and recently have put a halt to all eating after 7pm. This is all starting to pay off. I've lost 4lbs. in the past 2 weeks. I know you are balking at the water consumption but it is ideal for weight loss. I was skeptical at first also but was willing to try anything. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to drinking this much but now I actually get thirsty when I don't keep up. And the urge to go, well it subsides slightly but you will have to make sure there are facilities near by..Water literally rids your body of all the toxins in addition to helping you to lose weight. I haven't given up on any of my favorite foods either. I just eat them in moderation. When it comes to sweets I make sure I have them in the middle of the day rather than in the evening. This is working for me.....

o

Linda,
I've heard this about increased water consumption before, but I want to clarify something.
The more I drink...the more I will actually help my body to lose the water weight? If this is true, I have no problem in trying this. I drink about 1/2 that amount now, but would be more than willing to force myself to drink more if I can just help the fluid reduction.
Thanks for the great info. from both of you.
Andierut

o

Absolutely, it does work. It may take a couple of weeks before you notice any difference but I'm swearing by this. Before my first cup of coffee in the morning I drink a 24oz. bottle of water (which sits on my window sill and I continue to fill it). Doing this keeps me very regular. Right there, you are cleansing your body of those toxins and fat. I drink 24oz. before each meal. That helps to curb your appetite. It just seems to flush out fat and the other poisons before it has a chance to settle somewhere where you don't want it to be. This is my way of looking at this. I haven't had to cut out my salt intake (however I do use this in moderation) but if you find that you are still holding on to the water then maybe you should cut this out to get the benefits. Hope this helps....Linda

o

Thanks Linda,
I've certainly tried everything else to control the bloating, so I'll start this today.
As I said, I've read this, but never have heard from anyone, personally, who does it..so this is encouraging news. As far as salt intake, I discontinued the use of salt "at the table" over 21 years ago when I was pregnant with my youngest son, so no problem there.
Thanks,
Andierut

o

I've heard this theory too...also many of foods (fruits, etc) have lots of water. I do drink alot of water, come to think of it.

Also many teas are diuretics, aren't they? You could check into herbal teas, or just plain old English breakfast tea (my favourite!) If water gets boring, you could try herbal teas as well.

o

Well, I started my increased H20 regimen today. I've had 4 24 oz. bottles of water today with an extra can of non-caffeine containing Diet Sunkist Lemonade. So, I think I met my quota. I'm really anxious to see how this works for me. Water weight gain is a real problem for me and I've seriously tried diuretics and other suggestions to no avail. If I could actually lose the "bloat" with my increaed H20 intake, I will be thrilled. Yes, it does mean going to the bathroom more often, but I can live with that in exchange for getting rid of this extra fluid.

Andierut

o

I went to WeightWatchers - started drinking more water, eating less food - exercising more - I've lost 20 pounds in 9 weeks. I'm 51 and in menopause - I just refuse to believe that I can blame being fat on menopause. Yes, I'm not as active as I was 10 years ago - my metabolism has decreased - but I can control how much I eat and exercise - so I'm adjusting calories downward and activity upward and I can keep the weight off just fine.

o

I'm peri also, and have a harder time losing weight than in the past. I'm being pretty successful on Weight Watchers -- I lost 20 lbs in a 12-week session and have about 10 pounds to goal. This is helped very much by the fact that we have a WW at Work program, where the meetings are at the office and I see WW friends at work every day -- we encourage one another. I also find that I lose weight more easily if I avoid starchy carbs like pasta and bread. I get my carbs from legumes and the rice in the sushi I eat -- but it's still very little in the way of starches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here